Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 05:01 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Airport:
May 17
October 08
Growing season: 143 days

Downtown:
May 14
October 13
Growing season: 151 days
When does 'winter' as in going above the permanent snowline begin? Late October?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 05:03 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
It sounds weird defining the growing season by the first and last frost. What about the growth that occurs in between those 2 dates? You can still grow plants in winter.

The 5-6c mean threshold makes far more sense.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:07 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
It sounds weird defining the growing season by the first and last frost. What about the growth that occurs in between those 2 dates? You can still grow plants in winter.

I agree... often here as well we'll have a frost and then a mild period will last quite a while where we won't have one.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:12 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Depends on what you're growing. Here in central ME, I'm getting ready to plant garlic. The hard part is guessing when it's two weeks before the ground freezes...it hit 26F air temp last night, so I'm guessing it won't be too long...I'll be screwed if we get another year where it doesn't happen before the first week of December

Interesting to hear about the Garlic. For here it's November that we have to plant them. And interesting to hear you got screwed by the warm December as well! I couldn't believe the Garlics were sprouting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Growing season still in progress, lowest temp this season was 49F.
Still going here as well but my lowest was 39F. I forget, are you closer to NYC? All of Long Island has been below mid 40s as the season low except the Western end

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I agree... often here as well we'll have a frost and then a mild period will last quite a while where we won't have one.
It's called freeze here. Growing season doesn't end with a frost but does kill some crops. And Of course there are winter flowers and plants that can grow after the freeze or frost but a select few only.

Once a freeze (especially a hard freeze) happens, it's hard for plants to generate and produce again and therefore deemed end of growth.

Sure it gets mild in winter and some plants sprout but for how long and how many? Sun isn't out long either.

Another way to look at it, if you plant a seed after growing season ends, will that seed germinate?

For here, would have to be an extremely warm month like last year in December for something to germinate and sprout. But that's what it is "extreme", not normal. And its not like it had time to produce.

And I'm not 100% sure but growing season is more important for farmers than anyone else. Frost and Freeze is a curse word for them.

Lettuce also likes cool weather 40s/50sF but not a freeze.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:37 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Another way to look at it, if you plant a seed after growing season ends, will that seed germinate?

And I'm not 100% sure but growing season is more important for farmers than anyone else. Frost and Freeze is a curse word for them.

Lettuce also likes cool weather 40s/50sF but not a freeze.

36F seems like a warm temperature to end the growing season -there would be some very short growing seasons here. Tomato seeds here self germinate in the garden until about late April, so seeds will germinate after the end of the growing season.

Lettuce can handle the temperatures of a freeze, as long as it doesn't get frost forming on the leaves. I grow my winter ones in a tunnel house, and while it still gets -2C/-3C they grow well. I think the heat stored during the soil during the day, stops the moisture in the plant from freezing.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:45 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
36F seems like a warm temperature to end the growing season -there would be some very short growing seasons here.
Where did you see 36 ends growing season?

A freeze does. 32F/0C

Old 10-17-2016, 11:49 AM

29,535 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:

That's how NOAA defines it

Quote:
Growing Season
the period of time between the last killing frost of spring and the first killing frost of autumn.
NOAA's National Weather Service - Glossary

I've never heard of a 5-6C Mean threshold as the criteria. Is that an what is used in the UK?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:08 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
I think this method are well valid for Eastern US and few others parts of the world only,while many others climates like in Patagonia/New Zealand that would not match well.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Where did you see 36 ends growing season?

A freeze does. 32F/0C
Getting frosts and freezes mixed up. Can still be some short growing seasons in some years, particularly down south, where mid summer freezes happen. I once visited friends near Albert Town, and they had lost tomatoes in a January freeze, then I was back about two months later, looking at the replacement plants with a good crop

Old 10-17-2016, 12:38 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,005,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Getting frosts and freezes mixed up. Can still be some short growing seasons in some years, particularly down south, where mid summer freezes happen. I once visited friends near Albert Town, and they had lost tomatoes in a January freeze, then I was back about two months later, looking at the replacement plants with a good crop
As I told,the same thing happens in Patagonia,Towns like Bariloche,Esquel,Balmaceda get freezes even in mid summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather