Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the warm climates: Dallas vs Phoenix vs San Diego vs Atlanta
San Diego, California 18 39.13%
Phoenix, Arizona 3 6.52%
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas 2 4.35%
Atlanta, Georgia 12 26.09%
Other Sunbelt Climate city/Not listed on poll 17 36.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times

Advertisements

There are indeed plenty of palms planted around Dallas, this thread on the IPS forum has lots of photos of some (though some may have been killed in recent cold winters):
Dallas palm pics - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk

And this thread shows you the damage & recovery of some palms in Dallas (& elsewhere in Texas) after a cold winter:
Empirical data from the North Texas Freeze of 2011 - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:09 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,684,874 times
Eureka, California

Old 11-23-2016, 12:48 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,789,933 times
Coastal South Carolina.

I wanted to pick California but with the exception of the northern part, which is out of the sun belt, it's just too dry.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:39 PM

680 posts, read 649,475 times
Of the listed choices, San Diego by light years...

Outside San Diego I'd choose somewhere like Flagstaff, Big Bear, Big Sur, Santa Fe, or even somewhere in the greater Los Angeles area.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
There are indeed plenty of palms planted around Dallas, this thread on the IPS forum has lots of photos of some (though some may have been killed in recent cold winters):
Dallas palm pics - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk

And this thread shows you the damage & recovery of some palms in Dallas (& elsewhere in Texas) after a cold winter:
Empirical data from the North Texas Freeze of 2011 - DISCUSSING PALM TREES WORLDWIDE - PalmTalk
They are not commercial plantings lining the streets though

Old 11-23-2016, 03:57 PM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
They are not commercial plantings lining the streets though
Some were & what difference does that make anyway? Palms can clearly grow in Dallas...

Old 11-23-2016, 05:38 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Maybe most people in Dallas have an aversion to palm trees... hence lack of public plantings. I really don't know why

Old 11-23-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Maybe most people in Dallas have an aversion to palm trees... hence lack of public plantings. I really don't know why
I know they are more prevalent in Houston and San Antonio, which have milder winters

Old 11-23-2016, 06:25 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What streets are they on? Because when I was there in July, I was in Denton, the HEB cities, Ft Worth, Arlington, Grand Prarie, Lancaster, and the south side of Dallas proper, and I didn't see one palm tree (being serious, not trolling)
Dallas is HUGE, but according to this palm lovers website, there are plenty of palms. You might have gone to all the wrong places in Dallas

Palms in Dallas

And there is no need to have proof of Dallas incorporating commercially planted palms lining the streets, as there are pockets of areas around Dallas that have native populations of sabal minor to prove it's palminess, even if it's only one palm. I'd say it's a bit more impressive having palms growing in the wild than, say, commercially planted and non-native washingtonias or Queens lining the streets of Los Angeles ad naseum. Even the palm lovers that live there can't stand them.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Dallas is HUGE, but according to this palm lovers website, there are plenty of palms. You might have gone to all the wrong places in Dallas

Palms in Dallas

And there is no need to have proof of Dallas incorporating commercially planted palms lining the streets, as there are pockets of areas around Dallas that have native populations of sabal minor to prove it's palminess, even if it's only one palm. I'd say it's a bit more impressive having palms growing in the wild than, say, commercially planted and non-native washingtonias or Queens lining the streets of Los Angeles ad naseum. Even the palm lovers that live there can't stand them.
I happen to love the palms in Greater LA, Phoenix and Las Vegas, I consider them a huge plus for all 3 metros
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather