Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the warm climates: Dallas vs Phoenix vs San Diego vs Atlanta
San Diego, California 18 39.13%
Phoenix, Arizona 3 6.52%
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas 2 4.35%
Atlanta, Georgia 12 26.09%
Other Sunbelt Climate city/Not listed on poll 17 36.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Flagstaff is pretty glorious as well with all of that sunshine with moderate summers and not too cold winters!
Maybe to a Scandanavian they aren't too cold, but for us lowlanders, Flag winters are COLD. Their normal high is below 10°C from Nov 21st thru March 8th and their normal low is below 0°C from Oct 11th thru Apr 28th! Heck on Jun 1st, they have a normal low of +2.8°C still !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 06:54 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Maybe to a Scandanavian they aren't too cold, but for us lowlanders, Flag winters are COLD. Their normal high is below 10°C from Nov 21st thru March 8th and their normal low is below 0°C from Oct 11th thru Apr 28th! Heck on Jun 1st, they have a normal low of +2.8°C still !
Without a doubt, considering the opinion of someone who lives in the subtropical desert lowlands of south central Arizona, which in comparison to Flagstaff has downright mild, if not balmy winter temperaturesI am not the least bit surprised that a person living in Phoenix would consider Flagstaff winters as cold, in fact, i doubt you would find the winters in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas metroplex as being mild or maybe even tolerable

Old 11-22-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Without a doubt, considering the opinion of someone who lives in the subtropical desert lowlands of south central Arizona, which in comparison to Flagstaff has downright mild, if not balmy winter temperaturesI am not the least bit surprised that a person living in Phoenix would consider Flagstaff winters as cold, in fact, i doubt you would find the winters in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas metroplex as being mild or maybe even tolerable
I view a Dallas winter as half cold, half mild, since their winters are very unstable. They are too cold for palm trees, thanks to the cold snaps which see 20°F+ deviations from normal, they see snow (even if just an inch or less) every winter, and ice every winter. I remember there was a cold snap in Jan '14 in Dallas where HIGHS were in the 30's and 40's for a week straight and saw snow on multiple days. That is shocking for a place at 32°N and only 500' in elevation

Old 11-22-2016, 07:26 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
I view a Dallas winter as half cold, half mild, since their winters are very unstable. They are too cold for palm trees, thanks to the cold snaps which see 20°F+ deviations from normal, they see snow (even if just an inch or less) every winter, and ice every winter. I remember there was a cold snap in Jan '14 in Dallas where HIGHS were in the 30's and 40's for a week straight and saw snow on multiple days. That is shocking for a place at 32°N and only 500' in elevation
Too cold for Palm trees....... You must be blind.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:48 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yes there are a few palm trees planted here and there in Dallas, Texas, but they are not commonly planted in the overall landscapes, but yes, Dallas and Fort Worth are warm enough to support some of the cold hardy varieties of palm trees like pindo palms and windmill palms and a few other varieties of palm trees which are actually quite tender(and most likely wouldn't survive if the super arctic outbreaks of the 1970's and 1980's made a return), but in all fairness palms in general are planted in the DFW Metroplex rather sparingly and even these are often given winter protection.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Really, I was just in the Metroplex in July, and I didn't see single palm tree. I know some people grow them in their yards there, and protect them during cold snaps, but they don't line the streets like they do here in the lower Southwest/California or Florida

Old 11-22-2016, 10:56 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Really, I was just in the Metroplex in July, and I didn't see single palm tree. I know some people grow them in their yards there, and protect them during cold snaps, but they don't line the streets like they do here in the lower Southwest/California or Florida
That's pretty pathetic that Dallas can't even line their streets with palms at 32N and low elevation. Even Vancouver can line their streets with palms

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.03366...7i13312!8i6656

Old 11-22-2016, 11:56 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechXyn View Post
They can, it is a matter of wanting to or no. Those windmill palms in your street-view can easily grow in Dallas.
So then why don't people plant them widely along the streets?

Old 11-23-2016, 09:43 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
That's pretty pathetic that Dallas can't even line their streets with palms at 32N and low elevation. Even Vancouver can line their streets with palms

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.03366...7i13312!8i6656
I hope you know he is misleading you, all it takes is 5 minutes of research to dispel his claims. Washingtonias are planted there unprotected as are many other genus of palms. Look up Dallas palms see what Google images shows you, go to the palm boards, all it takes is a Google search or some street viewing.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I hope you know he is misleading you, all it takes is 5 minutes of research to dispel his claims. Washingtonias are planted there unprotected as are many other genus of palms. Look up Dallas palms see what Google images shows you, go to the palm boards, all it takes is a Google search or some street viewing.
What streets are they on? Because when I was there in July, I was in Denton, the HEB cities, Ft Worth, Arlington, Grand Prarie, Lancaster, and the south side of Dallas proper, and I didn't see one palm tree (being serious, not trolling)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather