Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:42 PM

96 posts, read 616,445 times

Advertisements

What are some pros and cons of living in a humid place vs. living in a dry place? Which do you think is better overall and why?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:56 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,676 times
If you are talking desert dry, then I would prefer a humid place, but only with a slight preference, cause humidity sucks a lot too. But desert air has made me bleed from my nose to my lips, and humid air just makes me stinky and uncomfortable. But let's not forget the kinds of insects that comes with a humid place too.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:11 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
I've always lived in places with humid summers, and I can't stand them. From what people tell me, I can't imagine dry summers to be that much better.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Humid is o.k. until you get above 80F or below 45F.

I've suffered no ill effects from the high-desert humidity. It's also nice not having to deal with bugs and mosquitos.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 PM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times
if you're talking about southern california dry, it's perfect because the cold pacific moderates the temperature here with offshore winds when it gets too hot or too cold. that's why the weather is so consistent between 50 and 70 degrees year round on average (50 at night and 70 in the day). it's called a Mediterranian climate, which is unique to SoCal and some places in Australia and some places near the Mediterranian. the con would be that SoCal's beaches are very cold most of the year, but it's the cold waters that bless SoCal with near perfect weather which makes most days exceptional for outdoor activities. another con is that during santa ana winds, SoCal is vunerable to wildfires because of the dryness of its cinder/chaparral and when idiots throw their lit cigarette butts on the ground, stong winds can ignite the butt in weeds sometimes which can easily turn into out of control fires. knocked over power lines, etc. are other factors.

desert dry sucks, especially if it's windy. it's bad for the skin and badly chapped lips are so irritating and sometimes very painful. nothing pro about desert dryness IMHO

the only pro i can think of for humidity is that local beaches are warm, for instance, Florida's beaches. the cons are that warm beaches/oceans allows for more evaporation and if there is a high pressure system lingering over a warm ocean, a hurricane takes form and makes landfall in areas with high humidity. high humidity is caused because warm beaches cannot regulate high temperatures, so they just make high temperatures feel hotter, and with all the evaporation from the oceans, it makes the air sticky which attracts bugs. nothing glorifying about that!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
if you're talking about southern california dry, it's perfect
Except for Santa Anas, because it's about how fast it changes too. Although I only like humidity on Vacation, the problem with Southern CA's dryness is the fact that it changes between (a little) moist and then... BOOM... dry - over a period of 24 hours during Santa Anas. It leaves my lips chapped and cold sore prone for months during Santa Ana season. If it would just stay dry, or make a more gradual change at least, then bingo, it would be perfect.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:59 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Humidity is better for your complexion!
Humidity ain't humidity unless it's 96 per cent humidity on a 99 degree day!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Except for Santa Anas, because it's about how fast it changes too. Although I only like humidity on Vacation, the problem with Southern CA's dryness is the fact that it changes between (a little) moist and then... BOOM... dry - over a period of 24 hours during Santa Anas. It leaves my lips chapped and cold sore prone for months during Santa Ana season. If it would just stay dry, or make a more gradual change at least, then bingo, it would be perfect.

i agree with everything you said. i also mentioned that in my post, that's why towards the end of the first term, i said near perfect, with the exception of those damn santa anas which blows the ridiculously hot and dry desert air to the coastal areas.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Dry weather = more prone to droughts

Humidity = less prone to droughts (though it's still possible, i.e. Atlanta!)

More fresh water also tends to be around more humid areas, making it better for agriculture and food production (although California has plenty of that)

Old 03-11-2008, 02:25 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
humidity is very uncomfotable and dry heat feels like your standing infront of a heater when its 98 degrees outside,they both suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather