Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 05:53 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Really? I thought the Beatles were still popular among young people. And more widely listened to than the Stones. At least they were 10 years ago.
I find that to be the case, I know someone who LIVES for the Beatles. I've had to listen to their entire discography front to back, dozens of times, without knowing what they're singing about. It becomes unintelligible background noise after a while.

The Rolling Stones don't seem to popular, at least not among the young music types I'm usually around. I'm not on the old band bandwagon, not my kind of music.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:56 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,356,688 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHfgx_9ClkA

Old 08-03-2017, 06:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Well they've been releasing best selling albums and selling out huge arenas for over 30 years. In fact, it's difficult to think of a band with more sustained global success throughout that period.

They're far from my favorite band, but there's no doubt that they're immensely popular.
Doesn't mean they're any good though. Just means people lack taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
One thing I noticed is that at least among people of my age Rolling Stones still remain popular, whereas The Beatles don't
One thing I've noticed with people in their early 20s is that there's a lot of 'le wrong generation' stuff. It's seemingly cool and trendy to hate anything modern. Seems really desperate and 'try hard' tbh.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:28 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Well if you are ranking mainstream music it makes sense. Compare 2007 or 2009 with 1995, when the top artists were U2, Michael Jackson, Alanis Morissette, Annie Lennox, Oasis, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, and Ace of Base. Quite a big downgrade, no? If you turned on the radio in 1995 you would hear "it's like rain, on your wedding day" or "I think you're gonna be the one that saves me, cause after all, you're my wonderwall", whereas if you turned it on in the late-2000s you would hear "boom boom boom" or "Rah rah ah-ah-ah! Ro mah ro-mah-mah! Gaga ooh-la-la!" It's like in the late-2000s people forgot how to listen to music and only wanted to listen to farmhouse animal noises on repeat
The late 00s were way better than 1995 IMO. That's not to say there weren't any good songs in 1995, but much of the music from that period was bland, unforgettable, or simply awful. If I hear Hootie and the Blowfish one more time I'd lose my mind...

Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
The 2000's was **** in terms of mainstream music, holy ****, but recent years has seen a great improvement. A lot more jazz/soul incorporated in modern pop (Dam Smith for example), and indie has become the mainstream. When even Justin Bieber sounds half-decent, like he has in the latest couple of years, you know there's been a shift. Ed Sheeran's new indie-hip-hop-singer-songwriter stuff is also pretty good. Modern Pop has overall become a lot more "alternative", which I like. It's not just four-chord songs or silly electronic music.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 PM

1,363 posts, read 791,713 times
f***king penis mcghee i'm off my tits hungoveer to f*** i'm freakibg disabled for today and f*** typing on phones god damnit instant dyslexia das herp das herp das herp

and i have to do the dishes manually because the retard old crumpets that owend this place chose not to use a dishwasher because that old wench had a vendetta against modern conveniences but im not gonna do them i can't be f**ked and i'm f**ked to the hilt

Old 08-03-2017, 08:11 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
f***king penis mcghee i'm off my tits hungoveer to f*** i'm freakibg disabled for today and f*** typing on phones god damnit instant dyslexia das herp das herp das herp

and i have to do the dishes manually because the retard old crumpets that owend this place chose not to use a dishwasher because that old wench had a vendetta against modern conveniences but im not gonna do them i can't be f**ked and i'm f**ked to the hilt
Best comment ever

Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Quote:
2014 was much better, you had "Stay with me", "Chandelier", "Riptide", "Take me to Church", "Me and my Broken Heart", "Sky Full of Stars", and "Rather be". Coldplay and Sam Smith are the only mainstream artists too in this list, another huge achievement! That is a very good list of mainstream songs! The best year in music since the mid-2000s. 2015 was really good too, altho maybe a pinch worse than 2014. 2016 was forgettable. 2017 seems solid so far
Riptide was made in 2012 and topped the charts in early 2013. Take Me To Church topped the charts, at least here, in 2015, even thought it came out a few years earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
One of the TATU girls thinks gay men are 'sick', but is okay with gay women. The one with the black hair. I guess this is a common line of thought in Russia, and probably many other conservative/traditional societies.

The ginger haired one is a pretty active campaigner for LGBT rights.
The homophobic one is Julia Volkova. Btw, if you approve of lesbians (which is fine), but then take the freedom of gay men, that's also sexism (not just homophobic). She's a hypocritical bimbo. I hope she regrets spouting this now, after 4 years. Some people have said that she only made these remarks so she won't be ridiculed or be physically targeted by Russians. But I don't know...

Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
One thing I've noticed with people in their early 20s is that there's a lot of 'le wrong generation' stuff. It's seemingly cool and trendy to hate anything modern. Seems really desperate and 'try hard' tbh.
I dont hate all modern music, mostly the Dubstep/Autotune crap from the late-2000s, early-2010s period. Who knows. Anyway 2007-2013 was a very **** period of my life so maybe that affects my opinion too. Whereas since 2014 my life has been much much better

Old 08-04-2017, 12:56 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
U2 are dreadful, and Bono is a penis.

My all time favourite band is AC/DC. Led Zeppelin are arguably the greatest band of all time, but for me personally, there's a few bands I prefer over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather