Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:04 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times

Advertisements

I been thinking about for the past two Februaries, we have had our first budding leaves and blossoms and flowers. Basically; spring foliage in late winter. This is a major contrast to 2015 where we still had snow on the ground in the beginning of March and did not see spring foliage until mid March (though I did go to Austin that spring break and drove from snow patches where I was in Texas, to spring blossoms in Austin) and I was wondering, are there any places up north that, on a particularly cool year, get autumn leaf change in August or so? I'm of course referring to METEOROLOGICAL summer only, so seeing the leaves change on September 15 does not count. We're talking about weather, not the position of the Earth's tilt. So I mean places that at least on one occasion, have seen autumnal conditions in vegetation before September 1st (or hell, March 1st if such a place exists in the southern hemisphere)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:07 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
The interior of Alaska normally peaks in late August or early September I believe. I don't have a hard time believing that in a cooler than normal August autumn colors start there in mid-August or so.

I've seen pics from Northern MN with patches of colors in late August before on Wunderground.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:07 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,774,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I been thinking about for the past two Februaries, we have had our first budding leaves and blossoms and flowers. Basically; spring foliage in late winter. This is a major contrast to 2015 where we still had snow on the ground in the beginning of March and did not see spring foliage until mid March (though I did go to Austin that spring break and drove from snow patches where I was in Texas, to spring blossoms in Austin) and I was wondering, are there any places up north that, on a particularly cool year, get autumn leaf change in August or so? I'm of course referring to METEOROLOGICAL summer only, so seeing the leaves change on September 15 does not count. We're talking about weather, not the position of the Earth's tilt. So I mean places that at least on one occasion, have seen autumnal conditions in vegetation before September 1st (or hell, March 1st if such a place exists in the southern hemisphere)
Northwest territories maybe?

Old 05-16-2017, 06:43 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,928,100 times
Alder trees in Seattle start to slowly turn yellow and drop leaves in late august but never complete turn yellow and often times there will still be good amount of green leaves hanging on all the way until the first major frost. But I think they turn yellow so early because it gets to dry by the end of the summer, similarly Indian plums which are small undergrowth trees often times loose all their leaves by august, even right at this moment some the leaves are turning yellow even though we've had record amounts rain so I'm not sure why the Indian plums would start to drop their leaves? Maybe it's just getting to warm? They bloom in early February.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,990 times
When I lived in Ohio, a few trees started looking very autumnal in mid-August of 2014 because of the consistently cool nights throughout that year. (18 July 2014 broke the record low for the month of July! I walked outside that morning and it was amazingly comfortable). Most of them remained green into September, though.

I can try to find some pictures later.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
When I lived in Ohio, a few trees started looking very autumnal in mid-August of 2014 because of the consistently cool nights throughout that year. (18 July 2014 broke the record low for the month of July! I walked outside that morning and it was amazingly comfortable). Most of them remained green into September, though.

I can try to find some pictures later.
How cold did it get in July that year? I would imagine in a situation like that, only a handful of trees react. Even here when we have a very mild winter, its only certain trees (like Bradford pears) that start to leaf out. Most still stay dormant for a few weeks. Also how early did most trees turn colour that year? That was my first autumn where I went to another state and in early November the trees in Atlanta were already at their peak. It got to the 20s in the middle of the month in Texas that year!

Old 05-16-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The interior of Alaska normally peaks in late August or early September I believe. I don't have a hard time believing that in a cooler than normal August autumn colors start there in mid-August or so.

I've seen pics from Northern MN with patches of colors in late August before on Wunderground.
One of my friends went to Alaska last October... she made her first snowman lmao! I guess I could see it happening in northern Minnesota.. I wonder if it ever happens in the Twin Cities

Its not even summer yet but I'm already really excited to spend my first fall in Minnesota this year

Old 05-16-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Northwest territories maybe?

What kinda deciduous trees would you find there, besides birch and aspen?

Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,663 times
The temperare deciduous forest of Patagonia peak by late March/Early April in Tierra del Fuego, which is the first place to get autumn colours there, due to the higher latitude and cold.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:06 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,118 times
The leaves start turning yellow in August here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather