Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 12:03 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times

Advertisements

Btw Rozenn, did you drive to Norway? How were the three different Scandinavian countries, in that case, and how did they differ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 02:15 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,693,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

When does wheat usually gets reaped around Trondheim? Due to the warm first half of summer most of the harvest was done by late July in France. My parents told me that they were already harvesting wheat back in May in southern Spain.
Normally around this time, sometimes a little earlier. But a cool summer, especially lacking days with some real heat, has delayed it a little. Spring was also a little cooler than average for the last decades, well maybe not March, but from April onwards.

Wheat is a harvested up to 65°N in Norway, barley earlier up to 70°N.
Largest wheat / grain production in the SE / Oslo region, and the second largest in the Trondheim region. Very little in the SW.
Wheat, rye and barley are harvested around here.

I guess southern Spain is so warm that summer is a difficult for grain production - to hot and dry? So they probably use spring for that?

Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golazzzo View Post
Yeah, the sun is rather shy

It's interesting to see how quickly weather systems sweep over those coastal areas. A classic "four seasons in a day" climate.
Do you notice a difference in terms of day to day weather with the Chester area? I wasn't lucky at all with the weather when I went to Wales, though that was in July 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Btw Rozenn, did you drive to Norway? How were the three different Scandinavian countries, in that case, and how did they differ?
We rented a car in Stockholm and drove in Sweden, Norway and a teeny bit of Finland. I had been to Denmark before as well, though not on this trip. Denmark is definitely the outlier when it comes to landscapes and rural architecture from what I recall. Much more of a classic "central European" vibe to it, even if it's by all means Scandinavian. Other that that, from a southern European's POV, the Nordics seem pretty homogeneous. I must say that allemansrätt/allemannsretten/jokamiehenoikeus (sp?) is the bomb, especially as we camped for most of the trip apart from Stockholm.
I did try to mumble some Swedish greeting words, as well as the unavoidable question: "Do you speak English?" at first. When I realized that my accent was so off that it was incomprehensible and/or that eveyone's English was better than mine, I gave up. Didn't even try the local lingo in Norway and Finland. I hate approaching people in a foreign language, but I figured out that the Nordics, along with the Netherlands, were the only countries where I could get away with it without being met with disapproving stares.

As for differences, well, the currencies differ from a country to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Normally around this time, sometimes a little earlier. But a cool summer, especially lacking days with some real heat, has delayed it a little. Spring was also a little cooler than average for the last decades, well maybe not March, but from April onwards.

Wheat is a harvested up to 65°N in Norway, barley earlier up to 70°N.
Largest wheat / grain production in the SE / Oslo region, and the second largest in the Trondheim region. Very little in the SW.
Wheat, rye and barley are harvested around here.

I guess southern Spain is so warm that summer is a difficult for grain production - to hot and dry? So they probably use spring for that?
Thanks for the response. Yeah I guess by May the poor wheat had had enough already with the heat down there!

Old 08-25-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:

We rented a car in Stockholm and drove in Sweden, Norway and a teeny bit of Finland. I had been to Denmark before as well, though not on this trip. Denmark is definitely the outlier when it comes to landscapes and rural architecture from what I recall. Much more of a classic "central European" vibe to it, even if it's by all means Scandinavian. Other that that, from a southern European's POV, the Nordics seem pretty homogeneous. I must say that allemansrätt/allemannsretten/jokamiehenoikeus (sp?) is the bomb, especially as we camped for most of the trip apart from Stockholm.
I did try to mumble some Swedish greeting words, as well as the unavoidable question: "Do you speak English?" at first. When I realized that my accent was so off that it was incomprehensible and/or that eveyone's English was better than mine, I gave up. Didn't even try the local lingo in Norway and Finland. I hate approaching people in a foreign language, but I figured out that the Nordics, along with the Netherlands, were the only countries where I could get away with it without being met with disapproving stares.

Please tell me you didn't bring cash?

Old 08-25-2017, 03:10 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,693,663 times
Quote:
Do you notice a difference in terms of day to day weather with the Chester area? I wasn't lucky at all with the weather when I went to Wales, though that was in July 2012.

I must say that allemansrätt/allemannsretten/jokamiehenoikeus (sp?) is the bomb, especially as we camped for most of the trip apart from Stockholm.

Based on my experience, you can get away with using english language when you approach locals in many (most?) European countries, as they don't expect foreignors /tourists to know their native language. Even mostly in France, although a few clearly did not like being talked to in english I might have said bonjour and not only english. Cultural differencies are interesting...

Old 08-25-2017, 04:51 PM

^^ It's pretty much the same here. Brittany will be more changeable than Paris, despite similar sunshine hours. Heck, western Normandy / eastern Normandy is like this. And yeah overcast weather on the seashore is rarely good news. Though you're mistaken, the palms look out of place 24/7/365.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Please tell me you didn't bring cash?
I did fetch a few hundred SEKs and NOKs before departing for things such as parking meters, road tolls and purchases at small businesses, which was indeed rather silly. Turns out parking meters work with cards and tolls are automated. Quite different from, say, Germany where bringing cash with you is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
Based on my experience, you can get away with using english language when you approach locals in many (most?) European countries, as they don't expect foreignors /tourists to know their native language. Even mostly in France, although a few clearly did not like being talked to in english I might have said bonjour and not only english. Cultural differencies are interesting...
Yeah most people are accomodating, even in countries where English proficiency isn't top notch, but there are always some people that find it rude and I prefer to avoid ruffling feathers when feasible.

I recall being asked out of the blue by an English speaker, "Is this the Seine?" on this bridge. No bonjour, no hello: I found him rather rude. Not to mention the question was silly.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:48 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
^^ It's pretty much the same here. Brittany will be more changeable than Paris, despite similar sunshine hours. Heck, western Normandy / eastern Normandy is like this. And yeah overcast weather on the seashore is rarely good news. Though you're mistaken, the palms look out of place 24/7/365.
Not actually palms, but Cordyline austarlis -Cabbage tree. Capable of handling colder conditions than most palms.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:51 PM

There are genuine palms too though - if one can call trachys genuine palms, that is.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:00 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
There are genuine palms too though - if one can call trachys genuine palms, that is.
Okay - I didn't see them.

Just had another look -what photo has the windmill palms?

Last edited by Joe90; 08-25-2017 at 07:19 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I did fetch a few hundred SEKs and NOKs before departing for things such as parking meters, road tolls and purchases at small businesses, which was indeed rather silly. Turns out parking meters work with cards and tolls are automated. Quite different from, say, Germany where bringing cash with you is a must.

I don't know about Norway, but I suspect it's very similar to Sweden. Sweden is trying to become the world's first cash-less society, and in 2015 only 2% of payments were made with cash, which is expected to sink to 0.5% by 2020. It's even become a bit of a problem because especially in the summer, tourists come and always pay with cash, and since pretty nobody except elderly even has cash in Sweden, having enough change for all the tourists is tough. Some people in more rural areas have to drive for tens of miles just to buy coins, and the price often ends up becoming over twice the coins' value.

It honestly baffles me why other countries still use cash. When I was in Greece, stores didn't want us to use cards and using cards felt frowned upon at the places which actually took cards. I just don't get it. How is it not more convenient to use a card instead of cash? Cash is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather