Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 02:00 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,693,663 times

Advertisements

A lot of great images!

Seems Hydrangea thrives both here and in Nei's neighborhood...

This is Tromsø today Oct 10th. Sunny and ca 7C / 43F. Still no overnight freezes up there this autumn (low 1.5C last night and 0.6C at 100 m - coldest night so far).
Around peak foliage for many trees, while some birches have lost almost all their leafs there.

Can you see the very light snow which came very recent up at the 1,238 m / 4,060 ft Tromsdalstinden mt? This picture was taken early in the morning, while the other was taken around noon.

Elm trees which might be the world's northernmost
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 02:11 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
A lot of great images!

This is Tromsø today Oct 10th. Sunny and ca 7C / 43F. Still no overnight freezes up there this autumn (low 1.5C last night and 0.6C at 100 m - coldest night so far).
Around peak foliage for many trees, while some birches hasvelost almost all their leaves there.

Can you see the very light snow which came very recent up at the 1,238 m / 4,060 ft Tromsdalstinden mt? This picture was taken early in the morning, while the other was taken around noon.

Looking nice. There are elms in Umeå though, both planted and naturalized. There's supposedly an elm forest in Beiarn at 67'N in Norway. In Sweden there's a few Elms on the south slope of Skikkisjöberget in far inland Swedem at 65'N.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
^^ Thanks! That phoenix palm disease is infuriating, so many bare trunks all over the place. It wouldn't be that bad if they weren't such iconic palms.
It's very sad, it's actually quite rare to see a big Phoenix canariensis in Malta now, when they were one of the most commonly seen palms

Quote:
A lot of great images!

Around peak foliage for many trees, while some birches have lost almost all their leafs there.

More great fall shots

Old 10-10-2017, 04:12 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times

Old 10-10-2017, 04:51 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Cambium's foliage pics look like they're from France rather than New England.
Keep in mind, those are "pockets" around here. It's never an even timing with the changes. I'd say now we're at 20% color while 80% still green or just brown and dull.

Quote:
An oxygen mask?! Sounds like you're in shape, so I guess it would be reasonably easy. You jog regularly right?
Yup.. and do this often too: Lift, split, throw, stack repeat.

But my cousins who went Skiing at 10k needed Oxygen masks, that's why I mentioned it. It's a coastie thing I guess.

But when I was at my highest of 5400' I didn't notice a big difference so maybe I'd be ok at 9k but like Nei said, while hiking I might feel it.

Spoiler

Quote:
Not sure what "lines" you're talking about. The glacier crevices?
Yeah, these. How did those lines form?

Spoiler

Quote:
I'd say that around freezing is near ideal for hiking. A bit cool when there's no sun, a bit warm when the sun is out. It's chilly when stopping though. That being said, I ate in short sleeves and didn't notice the chill for the first 10 minutes. Layering is definitely the key. 13,000 feet with no acclimatation sounds harsh, though last summer I hiked up a 11,500 ft mountain coming directly from Nice and didn't find much of a difference from lower mountains.

You guys keep up with these hiking talks/posts and it will really push me to go. I'm so overdo! Good point about the chilly when stopped or clouds.

Quote:
A lot of great images!

Nice pics and Elm? I haven't seen an Elm in decades here. lol. They're still around but hard to find. Was it just this region that got hit with the disease? I thought it would be there to.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:

Thanks! There are 2 trails from that spot, one to the Glacier Blanc and another to the Glacier Noir. Other than that, it's just alpinism, so I did the 2 as I don't plan to return there anytime soon. The Ecrins is quite a big mountain, but I find the Pelvoux more impressive. I dunno, it's hard to get a sense of scale and it doesn't look like you have a 1400 m high rock wall in front of you.
this peak with no name, looks quite impressive as well

Spoiler

the mostly frozen lake is a nice foreground combination.

Quote:
Like the church photo. The water looks very low on the river pic above, kinda like rivers down here on the Mediterranean shores. I'm surprised foliage isn't more advanced in your area. Cambium's foliage pics look like they're from France rather than New England. And geez you Mt Tom pics! Almost no color yet. What mid September normally looks like, no?
well, the Mt. Tom photos were from mid-September — September 17. The set up to Brattleboro was from the end of last week. From today

more green than changed, but saw lots of yellow by the roadside

Quote:
At first I wanted to sleep at the trailhead lodge but as I ended up doing it on my own - really wanted to do it before winter sets in - I decided to do the trip from Nice and hike in one day. Nobody to whine because they've been woken up at 3 am. 17 km isn't much of a hike, but the approach drive from Nice is very long.
Checked the drive time (4hr35min or so), I assumed the Alps were closer to you than that. I would have stayed overnight near the trailhead rather than drive there and back in one day.

Quote:
I'd say that around freezing is near ideal for hiking. A bit cool when there's no sun, a bit warm when the sun is out. It's chilly when stopping though. That being said, I ate in short sleeves and didn't notice the chill for the first 10 minutes. Layering is definitely the key. 13,000 feet with no acclimatation sounds harsh, though last summer I hiked up a 11,500 ft mountain coming directly from Nice and didn't find much of a difference from lower mountains.
I'd say upper 40s is still cool enough not to sweat much while easier to sit still comfortably nor worry about gloves and cold hands with wind.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 AM

3,600 posts, read 2,693,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Keep in mind, those are "pockets" around here. It's never an even timing with the changes. I'd say now we're at 20% color while 80% still green or just brown and dull.

Nice pics and Elm? I haven't seen an Elm in decades here. lol. They're still around but hard to find. Was it just this region that got hit with the disease? I thought it would be there to.
Lots of elm disease over on this side of the pond, but not everywhere.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 AM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
I'm surprised foliage isn't more advanced in your area. Cambium's foliage pics look like they're from France rather than New England. And geez you Mt Tom pics! Almost no color yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
And just to show the green pockets on this summer like morning again...

October 11, 2017. 10am 70°F.

GREEN.

But generally this is a good look at the overall look.. Mostly still green. About 80% of the area while 20% has colors.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,913 times
Nice pics everyone!

Local park today:

Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
White Mountains photos coming up. First day October 6th. I wanted to hike my favorite trail, the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail, which follows a series of small cascades passing some open rock ledge ending at a col above treeline between Mt. Washington and Mt. Monroe. And hadn't the Caps Ridge trail in a while, which goes up nearby Mt. Jefferson up fun open rock ledges. Found there was a connecting trail where I could combine the two. Drove up in the pouring rain, finished at around 9:30, started hiking at 10. My usual loop with the Amoounosac Ravine trail takes about 8 hours, would I manage to finish before dark?! Nice stream at the start

Had a mile and a half of a pretty, nearly carless dirt road to get to the start fo the Caps Ridge trail. Followed a cascading stream that made a nice noise

getting up to treeline and look back

some showers started, light rain. Rainjacket was enough to keep me warm. Looking back to where I started from

the first two of the three caps, each requiring some easy rock scrambling. When I was on the trail last, it had to have had a hundred people on it. Surprising number of children, too. It's a steep trail but very short distance-wise, can get to the summit (5712 feet) in only 2.3 miles. Fog rolling in

looking at the spine of the trail on one of the caps

break in the fog

fog got thicker, no breaks in the fog at the summit. Got very windy

summited Jefferson, then continued north. Skipped Mt. Washington was running out of time, and the weather was miserable and no view. Mt. Washington was reporting 55 mph winds gusting to 66 mph. I was going around just below the summit, 700 feet lower in elevation, so maybe 50 mph winds. Sometimes annoying to walk in, and temperature was in the mid to upper 30s, nasty on my hands.

finally got to the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail and the wind got much lighter. Thick fog, fog level had gotten lower than when I was ascending

Neat experience but didn't get the foliage views I was hoping for except at the beginning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather