Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:14 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
LOL. Vostok is depressingly dull most of April and even has polar night by the end of the month
April has got clear skies probably 80% of the time, and it's also going to be bright most of the day every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:23 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
What about 11 hours in a 24 hour day? When I said daylight hours have to be considered, I meant the more daylight, the lower the sun percentages, so there is more sunshine than the percentages suggest.

You think that 11 hours of sun can be more depressing than 1 minute. LOL, I know which I’d rather.
You think a percentage is a suggestion?

Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 AM

Do you know why 100% sunshine in a 12h day is better than 50% in a 24h day? Because in one, you're guaranteed sunshine when you go out to the beach or to the city shopping, or go out for a leisurely stroll with your dog. In the other you might get clouds the whole day and then when you get inside to eat an evening snack and go to bed, the sun comes out and shines through your eyelids as you lie in bed trying to sleep.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,559,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Do you know why 100% sunshine in a 12h day is better than 50% in a 24h day? Because in one, you're guaranteed sunshine when you go out to the beach or to the city shopping, or go out for a leisurely stroll with your dog. In the other you might get clouds the whole day and then when you get inside to eat an evening snack and go to bed, the sun comes out and shines through your eyelids as you lie in bed trying to sleep.
I can attest to that. Happens a lot here in Iqaluit.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:41 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,684 times
Quote:
Well there are no climates with 100% sun, and sun % does not denote the chance of sunshine, just look at the number of days of measurable sunshine in Northern Canadian climates during the summer.

Anyhow, being fussy about sun percentages means you want the climate to fit YOUR fussy preferences, in my eyes the climate has delivered the same amount of sun. You have to adapt and in climates with polar day I would sleep when its cloudy and be awake when it is sunny. They have the same amount of sunshine, you just want sunshine on demand.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:43 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,684 times
Quote:
April has got clear skies probably 80% of the time, and it's also going to be bright most of the day every day.
It is anything but bright, as the sun would be so low in the sky.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
It is anything but bright, as the sun would be so low in the sky.
It is exactly bright. When the sun is in the sky it's brighter than in summer in Selsey, and when it's down it's still bright enough to read your book outside

Old 01-13-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Well there are no climates with 100% sun, and sun % does not denote the chance of sunshine, just look at the number of days of measurable sunshine in Northern Canadian climates during the summer.

Anyhow, being fussy about sun percentages means you want the climate to fit YOUR fussy preferences, in my eyes the climate has delivered the same amount of sun. You have to adapt and in climates with polar day I would sleep when its cloudy and be awake when it is sunny. They have the same amount of sunshine, you just want sunshine on demand.
Humans have a circadian rhythm. Sunshine doesn't. Fool. And sun percentage does exactly denote the percentage of sun. That's what the percent is. It's an average, meaning sure, if it's an overcast day, the probability of there being sun isn't 56% april in Vostok, but if you're locked inside an enclosed cube and you open the hatch in the day, there's a 56% chance it's going to be sunny.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
I also think that sun percentages should be taken with a pinch of salt. It does not really tell you how sunny a climate feels, because there is a variation in daylight hours. Climates with high daylight hours often feel Sunnier.
A little trick I employ, is to make the percentage relative to the day length.

Wouldn't climates with long daylight hours, also feel cloudier?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
I would have thought that with longer daylight hours, the sunshine would be more spread out, whereas with shorter daylight hours it is more concentrated into a certain part of the day.
The same could be said of cloud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather