Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 07:48 AM

14 posts, read 16,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Venice, Italy is always depicted as dry and sunny exotic place when its annual sunshine hours are around 2,000. Meaning, it would get a lot of cloudy days. Notoriously cloudy places like Hobart and Melbourne are sunnier. Who'd knew?

It's true, and Venice can get really cold too. The lagoon has been known to freeze and it regularly gets snow

Many Britons think of Melbourne as sunny simply because it's in Australia, then learn the hard way when they arrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 07:54 AM

14 posts, read 16,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordoghan View Post
Yes, I can think about 2 places...

1. Northeastern Turkey. I always thought Göle was the coldest Turkish city, as a good friend of mine always says that. Turns out there are several colder places, while the coldest is Ardahan.

2. Seattle. Seattle grows some subtropical species giving a false impression of the climate, as most of those species are protected every winter to escape cold and heavy snowfalls. Turns out they get snow from October to May and most people living there are off during 6-7 months. Seattle has even less sunshine hours and much more cool rain than central England has.

Yes many people collectively put Turkey as a Middle Eastern country and assume its hot and desert like.

Seattle and the UK are often discussed at length climatically. Certain subtropical plants and palm trees are also grown in southern England, especially Devon and Cornwall where intense cold is relatively rare.
From what I've seen, Seattle has similar temps to the UK but more concentrated seasonal cloud patterns (more lingering, nonstop rain in winter and warm sunny spells in summer which makes winters feel colder and summers feel hotter). The UK tends to be more of a mixed bag with balmy, sunny days in winter and cool rainy days in summer. Again, that varies by region in Britain too. Southeast England around London and Kent tends to have the warmest summer weather while Scotland is normally chilly year round.

Last edited by Monsterripper1989; 12-16-2017 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-16-2017, 08:38 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,081,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People think Phoenix and all of Arizona is hot year round. When in actuality, places above 5,000ft/1,500m elevation don't even get hot, and the lowlands are mild during the winter, while the high elevations are downright cold in winter
True. The town of Flagstaff, (northern) Arizona actually has the very coldest climate of any of the towns across the U.S.A. that are listed in "Rand McNally's Retired Places Rated Almanac."

Old 12-16-2017, 09:00 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,297,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Venice, Italy is always depicted as dry and sunny exotic place when its annual sunshine hours are around 2,000. Meaning, it would get a lot of cloudy days. Notoriously cloudy places like Hobart and Melbourne are sunnier. Who'd knew?
Hobart is pretty sunny

Old 12-16-2017, 10:55 AM

779 posts, read 472,704 times
That Las Vegas is "always hot."

Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterripper1989 View Post
It's true, and Venice can get really cold too. The lagoon has been known to freeze and it regularly gets snow

Many Britons think of Melbourne as sunny simply because it's in Australia, then learn the hard way when they arrive.
They must be horrified to learn that Melbourne is as warm as Rome's climate, but with 4% less sunshine.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:26 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,741,971 times
Seattle or rather Western Washington in general many people think is cloudy and rainy all year OR there are those people come here in summer and think it represents what it's like year round. Summers here are mild, sunny, & dry with blue skies while the rest of the year is cloudy and rainy (mostly).

Old 12-16-2017, 12:35 PM

401 posts, read 332,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, and people (from other regions) just do NOT understand our weather!! First, they tend to think "California = warm and sunny," forgetting that it's a ginormous state with hundreds of microclimates... especially in the summer, it can literally be 20-30 degrees warmer in San Jose than it is in San Francisco.

They don't realize just how much the coastal fog and wind impacts things, and that it's often COLDEST IN THE SUMMER. We can spot a tourist in the summer by their shorts, sandals, and newly-purchased "I love SF" sweatshirt - which they bought from a street vendor, after freezing off their butt while sightseeing.

Also, as you mentioned, the ocean here is freezing cold. Not to mention we've got sharks, so it's "swim at your own risk." This is how we dress for the beach (actually one of my friends in Pacifica):
So true! That's one thing I had to get used to when I lived out west. I remember driving in December around Christmas from my apt. in North Hollywood to Big Bear. The whole drive out there was so hot and, well - desert-y. (it was the desert) Then you take the turn-off and start climbing the hill and all of a sudden we're in the woods and it reminded me of the mountains of New Hampshire in the blink of an eye! I never could get over that.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:08 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,006,724 times
"South America is just a tropical climate with the Amazon forest". I used to think this way when in my childhood but now I know that South America has many climates with even semi-continental climates and extense temperate deciduous forests on it southern part.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:59 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Blatantly false re sunshine. Sunniest UK mainland averages about 1900 hours, similar or a little less than Seattle - central England has locations with less than 1300.
What do you expect from a troll? Snow from October to May
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather