Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 02:16 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
I know you won't reply to me, but it is completely normal for downtown SF to reach in to the 90s every year
Hahaha... no, it most certainly is NOT! Please, just stop. You don't live here, you've never even BEEN here, and you think you know our weather this well? Anyone from SF would laugh at this comment.

We literally whine and complain if it gets above 70F in San Francisco, and anything above 80F is considered a heat wave. So while it might occasionally hit 90, to say it's "completely normal" just shows how little you know about our climate. Stop reading stuff online, and try listening to us for a moment. I wouldn't argue with you about UK weather, and I've actually been there - but I trust a local above online numbers and my two short visits to London. Can you do the same?

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-19-2017 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 02:26 PM

1,218 posts, read 687,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Hahaha... no, it most certainly is NOT! Please, just stop. You don't live here, you've never even BEEN here, and you think you know our weather this well? Anyone from SF would laugh at this comment.

We literally whine and complain if it gets above 70F in San Francisco, and anything above 80F is considered a heat wave. So while it might occasionally hit 90, to say it's "completely normal" just shows how little you know about our climate. Stop reading stuff online, and try listening to us for a moment. I wouldn't argue with you about UK weather, and I've actually been there - but I trust a local above online numbers and my two short visits to London. Can you do the same?
The annual mean maximum temperature for DOWNTOWN SF is 34.6°C, so higher than San Diego's 34.5°C

Funny how you don't trust stats, as they are FACTS whereas what your saying is your OPINION. You just don't want to admit that SF gets hot. 70 happens almost every day in September and some days in February and 80 is not a heatwave from April to October. 95 would be a summer heatwave. Its just like where I live, no one would think it, but 85 is not a summer heatwave

Just look at how many high temperatures were recorded this year, especially Autumn. I was constantly surprised when checking the weather there. Obviously the 44.3°C on 1 September is a little too high, but that was an extreme circumstance. https://www.wunderground.com/persona...171101/mcustom

Old 12-19-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
The annual mean maximum temperature for DOWNTOWN SF is 34.6°C, so higher than San Diego's 34.5°C

Funny how you don't trust stats, as they are FACTS whereas what your saying is your OPINION. You just don't want to admit that SF gets hot. 70 happens almost every day in September and some days in February and 80 is not a heatwave from April to October. 95 would be a summer heatwave. Its just like where I live, no one would think it, but 85 is not a summer heatwave
Yeah, I trust my body over numbers. I trust my 30+ years of living in the Bay Area, looking at the temperature gauges in my car, and on signs I pass on the road. I trust my wardrobe, and comfort levels during each season. These are ALL more accurate gauges than a list of "means" and "max/min" temperatures on some website... and I don't care how many times you say it, that won't change my actual, living experiences of how San Francisco weather really is. Sorry!

And if you really did know anything about California weather, you'd know that San Diego is famous for being mild and temperate; meaning it's almost always the same temperature, year-round, at least on the coast. The Bay Area is fairly temperate too, but has more fluctuations than SD - hence the higher MAXIMUM (which is rare) mean temps. Also, it can easily top 100F on a regular basis once you get like 5 miles inland from the San Diego coast. Dude, seriously.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:36 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,226,475 times
New York City can go over 100F (38C) in August and 0 F (-18C) in late December.
I've been in the Hudson Valley New York when it was -30F (-34C). Coldest I've ever seen it.
New York and Rome are roughly the same latitude. It's the Mediterranean that moderates Italian temperatures. Southern Italy gets snow in the Apennine mountains.
There are palm trees near the coast of Lago Maggiore Italy.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Just look at how many high temperatures were recorded this year, especially Autumn. I was constantly surprised when checking the weather there. Obviously the 44.3°C on 1 September is a little too high, but that was an extreme circumstance. https://www.wunderground.com/persona...171101/mcustom
Yes, it was a particularly hot year for us... as you mentioned already, we topped 100F (118F in South County) in September, which shattered almost every record in the region. So this isn't the best measure of "average" or "typical," by any means.

FYI: I only track our weather in real-time, using a combination of my iPhone, car gauges, and occasionally local TV or radio forecasts. These are likely much more accurate than any non-local website, especially when that fog rolls in unexpectedly - it can go from pleasant to BRRRR in a moment!

Old 12-19-2017, 02:40 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
it can go from pleasant to BRRRR in a moment!
This is my experience with San Francisco weather in the summer. It can be super nice now and very cold (by summer standards) 10 minutes later depending on fog, wind and location.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well I showed up in Arcarta CA in early September one year coming from mid 80'sF, and I was really cold. Within days I had a sore throat and bad cold. It was low 60's every day and low 50's at night. I felt almost as cold as in winter. I didn't bring the right clothes. No internet then. I assumed CA was warm in summer. Wrong.
And here is my whole "case in point!" Arcata/Eureka is particularly chilly and damp, yes, even/especially in the summer. Those of us who live in northern CA know that, and always come prepared.

I still remember when I was a teen, and went to a summer camp (for musicians) in Carmel/Monterey - on the first day of the session, they gave everyone camp-logo SWEATSHIRTS. Not t-shirts, sweatshirts! That's how I knew it would be a chilly summer, lol.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:45 PM

1,218 posts, read 687,317 times
Quote:
I'd love to know where you get these numbers, because it's all nonsense coming from a local like me! My brother actually lived in San Diego for 10+ years, and there is no comparison to their weather vs SF. It's ALWAYS nice in San Diego, pretty much, and waaaaay more than 5C warmer on average. They also have microclimates, btw, depending on whether you're coastal or inland (sometimes as much as a 20-30F degree range). So maybe that's true if you're comparing central SF to coastal SD, but inland SD to coastal SF? BIG difference.

I'm telling you what I've lived through, and felt with my own body, not what some weather station perched on a sunny hilltop is telling you (who's never even been here). Of course it's never Alaska cold, but again, I'm only comparing our weather to what people perceive of California. Oh, and that picture you posted as "evidence?" It was taken in Marin County, which isn't even San Francisco, and has yet another climate altogether. Again, it's probably best if you don't argue with a local over our own weather. LOL

That being said, I suppose on the hottest day in recorded history, people managed to dig out a pair of shorts. But I literally don't even own a pair, and just wore jeans w/ a light t-shirt when it was 115F here in San Jose during that same week. Let me repeat: That was the HOTTEST DAY ON RECORD EVER in San Francisco, so you can hardly use that as an example. Generally speaking, you won't see San Franciscans wearing shorts very often (if ever). We actually refer to "San Francisco black" as our unofficial uniform, since most locals wear all black and/or jeans on a daily basis. Even in summer.

Now, don't let this discourage anyone from visiting, as it's still an amazing place with a relatively moderate climate! We're only discussing how people perceive the weather, versus how it actually feels, so I'm not saying it's too miserable to withstand. I managed just fine in the city for 5+ years, and sometimes wish I could escape the hotter south Bay to return there. It's a great city, really.
For most of the year the difference is 5°C. Same could be said with San Jose outside of summer. In fact the yearly average difference there during daytime is a mere 3.8°C. As I said SF has more sunshine per year than SD.

LOL. It's not a weather station perched on a sunny hilltop, its in the downtown area where lots of people live!

Are you dumb? That was a thumbnail of a youtube video, so it doesn't matter where it's taken. Click on it to watch and you will see people in SF in shorts. I'm not convinced that its an irregular thing even if this was a hot day, as people here in the UK where shorts (although mostly men) in summer.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
This is my experience with San Francisco weather in the summer. It can be super nice now and very cold (by summer standards) 10 minutes later depending on fog, wind and location.
Yup! This is why we ALWAYS carry a coat, even if it's nice and sunny when we leave the house... because if/when that fog does roll in, you'll seriously regret not having one. And not to harp on the debate I've been having with wilkinson, but this is also why weather sites aren't always accurate for us. It might say "75F" on the site, or even the local weather towers; but that fog can make it FEEL so much colder. Like down-to-the-bones chilly, because of the added moisture.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
For most of the year the difference is 5°C. Same could be said with San Jose outside of summer. In fact the yearly average difference there during daytime is a mere 3.8°C. As I said SF has more sunshine per year than SD.

LOL. It's not a weather station perched on a sunny hilltop, its in the downtown area where lots of people live!

Are you dumb? That was a thumbnail of a youtube video, so it doesn't matter where it's taken. Click on it to watch and you will see people in SF in shorts. I'm not convinced that its an irregular thing even if this was a hot day, as people here in the UK where shorts (although mostly men) in summer.
Okay... now you're calling me dumb, so I'm done arguing (and you're lucky I'm not reporting you right now). Keep trying, but everyone from SF will be laughing at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather