Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 05:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Vancouver has warmer summers than than both the UK and SF.

Average July maximum:

UK: 19.4C
SF: 19.1C
VC: 22.2C

Vancouver is slightly drier than the UK, average rainfall is 1153.1 vs 1154 mm for the UK.

It is true that people would not expect the sun to be as strong as it is in SF, the UV in July is 10. But you seriously wouldn’t be shivering with that strong sunshine
Here you are comparing two cities with a country average, I don't think either London or say Glasgow would be anything like the 'UK average', you need to specify city to city...........just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 06:14 AM

1,218 posts, read 686,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Here you are comparing two cities with a country average, I don't think either London or say Glasgow would be anything like the 'UK average', you need to specify city to city...........just saying.
Deneb78 was comparing Vancouver with the UK, he/she didn’t specify where, so that’s what I used. There isn’t much difference between Glasgow and the whole UK average, it’s mean temperature is 8.85C which is precisely the UK average. London is obviously one of the warmest places in the UK and is an extreme outlier.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:21 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Boston only if you use Koppen's original guideline of -3°C, but if you use that, then Erie, PA and Cleveland just barely make the cut as well
So does Windsor when using the Windsor-Riverside weather station! Sub tropical Ontario

Old 12-21-2017, 06:26 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I live in east Texas. A lot of people think the entire, vast state of Texas is all desert, dusty, hot, with horses, cattle, and everyone is a "redneck" and all whites in Texas are racists and there is no diversity in population, scenery, and economy.

How wrong they are.

Most likely it's snowing in the Texas Panhandle and maybe in the mountains of far west Texas.
Amarillo, Texas gets as cold as it gets. I have seen lots of snow there. All the way upto Gallup in NM, once driving in winter on I-40 I saw nothing but Snow. It is supposed to be hot desert.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:36 PM

14 posts, read 16,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichle View Post
There doesn't seem to be a consistent stereotype of New Zealand. Some people see it being near Australia and the Pacific Islands and think it's virtually tropical, others see photos of snow-covered mountains and assume it has frigid winters. In reality, in most places it's pretty temperate.

Also, people probably underestimate how much latitude it spans. This map of NZ overlaid across the USA gives a better perspective. It spans a similar distance as Florida does to Canada.

Many Britons, assume that NZ (especially the south island) has the same climate as the UK and is basically just the same place but more rural/far away. They don't know how diverse it is. Summer, while not tropical, was definitely warmer than England is, particularly when it rains there.The one downer is how cold houses are in NZ during winter without the central heating the UK has

Old 12-25-2017, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 16,152 times
Another surprise I found was New York in winter. The movies always show NY under thick snow so I was surprised to learn it isn't actually that bad (at least along the coast). While theres occasional blizzards and polar vortexes, I don't imagine it being much worse than the UK a lot of the time in winter. A lot of people imagine NYC being like Chicago/Minneapolis during winter.
While colder than England, at least it get more winter sun, the days are a bit longer with the latitude and summers are hotter. Maybe someone who has spent time in both places during winter could confirm which is better?

Old 12-25-2017, 05:11 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterripper1989 View Post
Many Britons, assume that NZ (especially the south island) has the same climate as the UK and is basically just the same place but more rural/far away. They don't know how diverse it is. Summer, while not tropical, was definitely warmer than England is, particularly when it rains there.The one downer is how cold houses are in NZ during winter without the central heating the UK has
Being closer to the equator certainly gives New Zealand's south Island higher record high temperatures than the UK, but its average high temps during the summer and in fact most of the year are similar to the UK (When I say UK I mean mostly southern Britain). In winter it is mostly warmer in New Zealand, but it has been getting warmer in recent decades in the UK so there isn't much difference. The Isles of Scilly January high is 9.7°C, compared to Christchurch's July high of 10.7°C much closer to the equator, so there isn't much difference.

I highly doubt there are many houses without central heating, certainly more houses in NZ would have that than have AC as hot temperatures whilst occasional are infrequent. It might be the same distance from the Equator as Spain but because of Antarctica its colder. Christchurch's winter lows are lower than where I live and I'd struggle without central heating.

What certainly is different to the UK is that being closer to the equator, the hours of sunshine whilst not that much higher are more evenly spread throughout the year, making it seem much sunnier (just like a lot of tropical places).

Old 12-25-2017, 05:56 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
Being closer to the equator certainly gives New Zealand's south Island higher record high temperatures than the UK, but its average high temps during the summer and in fact most of the year are similar to the UK (When I say UK I mean mostly southern Britain). In winter it is mostly warmer in New Zealand, but it has been getting warmer in recent decades in the UK so there isn't much difference. The Isles of Scilly January high is 9.7°C, compared to Christchurch's July high of 10.7°C much closer to the equator, so there isn't much difference.

I highly doubt there are many houses without central heating, certainly more houses in NZ would have that than have AC as hot temperatures whilst occasional are infrequent. It might be the same distance from the Equator as Spain but because of Antarctica its colder. Christchurch's winter lows are lower than where I live and I'd struggle without central heating.

What certainly is different to the UK is that being closer to the equator, the hours of sunshine whilst not that much higher are more evenly spread throughout the year, making it seem much sunnier (just like a lot of tropical places).
The Scilly isles looks similar to Invercargill, but with warmer nights, or a sunnier version of the Chatham islands -not what I call nice climates. Portsmouth would be better for favourable comparisons.

The South Island has as much variation in average temperature, as the UK, and I don't find the English people compare southern UK climates favourably to the warmest South Island climates.

Central heating is unusual, although ducted heat transfer systems are becoming more common. Our place only has one heated room in a 220 square metre house, and being cold isn't an issue.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:37 PM

827 posts, read 865,867 times
I hate winter sometimes because of the cold inside the houses.

There are regions where the winters aren't so cold at all to justify the investment on heating the houses, but still some cold snaps happen. What can we do? Wear a lot of warm clothes, buy an electric heater, stay in the rooms that receive more sunlight.

Sometimes the beds are too cold and we need to pass a clothes iron on them in order to sleep well.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:56 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The Scilly isles looks similar to Invercargill, but with warmer nights, or a sunnier version of the Chatham islands -not what I call nice climates. Portsmouth would be better for favourable comparisons.

The South Island has as much variation in average temperature, as the UK, and I don't find the English people compare southern UK climates favourably to the warmest South Island climates.

Central heating is unusual, although ducted heat transfer systems are becoming more common. Our place only has one heated room in a 220 square metre house, and being cold isn't an issue.
Shoulder seasons are warmer in NZ, benefit of lower latitude as compared with UK

Aukland average highs in october and april are at or near 20C,
even Nelson on the South Island those months have average highs close to 18C.

London is the best the UK has with a quite mild 16C average october high,
most of the rest of the UK it is more like 12-14C for april and october highs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather