Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,962,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Yes, they are arbitrary but you can’t just choose your own personal time zone.

When everywhere else in your city operates on the time being 5 PM, you can’t just say ok it’s 2 PM for me. You can change what time you get up or go to sleep or if you’re able to what hours you work, but you can’t just say the actual time is different. There’s a reason for time zones after all and a reason why people in a city/region operate on the same time.

So no, time zone is NOT YOUR OPINION.
Ok I see where the argument is, and yes I agree with you, you have to operate at your local time zone, at least you should if you don't want to confuse the people around you. But to play devils advocate you can kinda choose, so long as you specify which time zone you are referring to, for instance it's very common to say something happened at mean Greenwich time even if that something happened in say Vancouver or Sydney, also all trains in Russia operate at Moscow time even though Russia has 11 time zones, or should say it's because of all those time zones,. Furthermore if you are at the poles you can choose whatever time you want. so there are instances when you can deviate from your local time, but yes I agree with your statement overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 03:22 PM

1,218 posts, read 689,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
Don't even bother arguing with him, he clearly doesn't undertsand. Blenheim is 500+ hours sunnier then Shanklin and that's all I need to know.
But Shanklin is sunnier than Blenheim in the summer and if we are going to use that argument, there is FAR more difference in average hours between Kinlochewe and Shanklin than there is between Shanklin and Blenheim. How come there is no noticeable difference between UK climates and suddenly when you're over 2000 hours its noticeable? It isn't 1999.9 hours and cloudy all the time and then 2000 and sunny all the time!

Old 12-31-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Yes, they are arbitrary but you can’t just choose your own personal time zone.

When everywhere else in your city operates on the time being 5 PM, you can’t just say ok it’s 2 PM for me. You can change what time you get up or go to sleep or if you’re able to what hours you work, but you can’t just say the actual time is different. There’s a reason for time zones after all and a reason why people in a city/region operate on the same time.

So no, time zone is NOT YOUR OPINION.
Yes it is my opinion. I will put my clocks forward tomorrow in my opinion, can't stop me doing everything on my times.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Sun is more common in Blenheim though, because common is relative to whatever grouping you're using.
How is that so? Shanklin gets over 16 hours more sun than Blenheim in summer and that's a fact.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:28 PM

269 posts, read 200,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
But Shanklin is sunnier than Blenheim in the summer and if we are going to use that argument, there is FAR more difference in average hours between Kinlochewe and Shanklin than there is between Shanklin and Blenheim. How come there is no noticeable difference between UK climates and suddenly when you're over 2000 hours its noticeable? It isn't 1999.9 hours and cloudy all the time and then 2000 and sunny all the time!
Literally when did I ever say that? Regardless, 500 hours is definetly a noticeable amount

Old 12-31-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Literally when did I ever say that? Regardless, 500 hours is definetly a noticeable amount
You might not, but other people say the UK is poor in terms of variation, and has an equally cloudy climate. They will claim Shanklin is almost as cloudy as Kinlochewe and then say Blenheim is a lot sunnier

Old 12-31-2017, 03:32 PM

269 posts, read 200,641 times
Quote:
You might not, but other people say the UK is poor in terms of variation, and has an equally cloudy climate. They will claim Shanklin is almost as cloudy as Kinlochewe and then say Blenheim is a lot sunnier
The UK does offer a variation in Sunshine to a certain extent, although that's not saying much. It ranges from somewhat cloudy to very cloudy.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:32 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,962,187 times
Quote:
saying that Shanklin is sunnier than Blenheim in summer is a bit much, they are almost identical.

City Name: Jun/Dec | Jul/Jan | Aug/Feb
Shanklin: 247.7 | 262.3 | 240.9
Blenheim: 248.8 | 262.2 | 223.7

I don't really know what the orginal argument is, but Shanklin is very sunny compared to Kinlochewe, but compared to most places Shanklin is kinda gloomy, just compare it to "gloomy" Seattle and you will see what people are talking about.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
saying that Shanklin is sunnier than Blenheim in summer is a bit much, they are almost identical.

City Name: Jun/Dec | Jul/Jan | Aug/Feb
Shanklin: 247.7 | 262.3 | 240.9
Blenheim: 248.8 | 262.2 | 223.7

I don't really know what the orginal argument is, but Shanklin is very sunny compared to Kinlochewe, but compared to most places Shanklin is kinda gloomy, just compare it to "gloomy" Seattle and you will see what people are talking about.
Add them up and Shanklin is sunnier because of that cloudier final summer month in Blenheim. The point is people will claim Blenheim is very sunny and Shanklin gloomy even though it has roughly the same summer sun amounts. The average annual worldwide sun is 2334 hours, so Blenheim is rather average when it comes to sun.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
The UK does offer a variation in Sunshine to a certain extent, although that's not saying much. It ranges from somewhat cloudy to very cloudy.
There is still more difference in sun hours between central England and the south coast than there is between the south coast and New Zealand, so claiming New Zealand is sunny when all of England is labelled cloudy is not really fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather