Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate winter too. Cold, dark mornings, taking the dog for a walk and my fingers ache from the cold. Shoveling snow, dead landscape. I hate it all. But then I also hate humidity and bugs, so I couldn't live anywhere east of Colorado. At least our summers are beautiful and near perfect for my taste. Warm to hot afternoons, cool nights in the 60s, and no sticky humidity.

Overall, Denver's winters aren't that bad and we do get warm days here and there all winter. It's been quite pleasant the past month, and 70 degrees today. Just very dry. I'm hand-watering the grass right now and other things to start seeing some green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
I never really minded winter all that much until the last two years. Why, you ask?

Because of the wind. The wind here this winter has been unbearable. I don't mean a little breeze, I mean tie-down-the-patio-furniture-because-the-winds-are-blowing wind. Most of this season it's been winds of more than 10mph, with a lot of days winds 30mph and gusting to 45 mph. When it's already 32 degrees, heavy winds make it feel like sub-zero. It goes right through me, regardless of how many layers I have on!

I hate winter with all my heart and soul. We're moving to NC next year and I can not wait.
I know exactly what you mean about the wind. It's always been awful up here. Sorry to ask cause usually I remember the areas that most of the people live in, BUT where do you live now?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I hate Minnesota winters and will soon be moving after 62 years here.

My son was up a couple years ago ( from Pensacola Florida) on a perfect June day and said-------"I wish we had summers like this in Pensacola"

I told him-------"you do ! you just call them February , March, and April"

Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I hate Minnesota winters and will soon be moving after 62 years here.

My son was up a couple years ago ( from Pensacola Florida) on a perfect June day and said-------"I wish we had summers like this in Pensacola"

I told him-------"you do ! you just call them February , March, and April"
Marmac, I had no idea that you're heading south. So who is the lucky state?

Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
I live in the south and I still hate winter... but love summers .... let's ROAST!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:05 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
i HATE summer, the only thing i like is that there's no school, thats about it, it SUCKS annoying bugs pesky wasps all over the place, endless days of heat/humidity between Late May-Late September, -30 felt actually pretty good to me it felt refreshing sorta, skies are so clear when it's that temperature at night, during the day it's cloudy, when it's hot here we get "pop-up" thunderstorms EVERY SINGLE DAY, and when it's not raining, the sky is an ugly hazy-looking color.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:06 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Jammie---------at this time it appears to be NE Alabama (spent a week there in November)

I sold my dairy herd August 1 and signed the sale of the farm papers Sept 1. The delay is a contingency clause that my son must sell his house to buy my dairy farm.

With the housing market in the dumps, I may be still here for quite awhile. He rents the farm (except for our house) and has his milk cows here. His house is 7 miles away.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:07 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,961,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Jammie---------at this time it appears to be NE Alabama (spent a week there in November)

I sold my dairy herd August 1 and signed the sale of the farm papers Sept 1. The delay is a contingency clause that my son must sell his house to buy my dairy farm.

With the housing market in the dumps, I may be still here for quite awhile. He rents the farm (except for our house) and has his milk cows here. His house is 7 miles away.
it can get pretty darn cold in NE Alabama, not anything like Minnesota, but can get to the low teens/upper single digits pretty much every winter.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:25 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
If you ever come see me, bring your blanket If I could afford it I'd keep my AC on 70 Or maybe even 68
I like camping, how about I sleep outside?

We could communicate with two-way radios, provided the hum of your A/C unit didn't make too much background noise.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:30 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
I personally LOVE northern winters, cold,cloudy days are for me!!
How many days of northern winter have you been able to experience?

I know I like the regular southern summer weather because I've spent a total close to 20 weeks in it, spread over 11 years. It resembles heat waves in Toronto as well as Carribbean winter weather, both of which I love.

*Note I hesitate to say I like it entirely, as I don't know how I'd feel in some parts of the South in a hotter summer; say 50 days straight of 97+ F. It could irritate me, it might not, but I'll never know unless I actually lived in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather