Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 11:09 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
According to Wikipedia cotton is naturally a perennial and it's only grown as an annual in order to control pests.

But yes, winter temperatures do define perennial vegetation whilst summer temps do not. To me that's the crux of the problem.
Why is that a problem? Environments are what they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 11:58 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
According to Wikipedia cotton is naturally a perennial and it's only grown as an annual in order to control pests.

But yes, winter temperatures do define perennial vegetation whilst summer temps do not. To me that's the crux of the problem.

Topic of thread: Joe90 was right, veg defines "winter" climate.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:58 AM

5,738 posts, read 3,516,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why is that a problem? Environments are what they are.
It's a big problem if you're trying to establish that climate is defined by vegetation. Which is the whole point of this thread.

Although I guess scientifically speaking this thread refers specifically to winter climate on which case the problem is only half as big.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
It's a big problem if you're trying to establish that climate is defined by vegetation. Which is the whole point of this thread.

Although I guess scientifically speaking this thread refers specifically to winter climate on which case the problem is only half as big.

Which is warmer in winter, Atlanta or Scilly Isles based on temps and vegetation? 46.8F (Scilly) vs 45.2F (Atlanta). Scilly is warmer in winter and it shows.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:

Climate is absolutely defined by vegetation, while climate classifications aren't necessarily defined by climate.

The problem with using vegetation, is when someone does not have enough specific botanical knowledge.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Which is warmer in winter, Atlanta or Scilly Isles based on temps and vegetation? 46.8F (Scilly) vs 45.2F (Atlanta). Scilly is warmer in winter and it shows.
Wikipedia gives 46.4°F for Scilly BTW.

I wonder about Myrtle Beach (46.5) versus Scilly (46.4)?

But I don't fundamentally disagree with the concept that vegetation defines winter climate. I just don't find it very useful because it's only one part of the year. It's sort of like being able to predict who'll be leading the Superbowl at halftime: interesting but ultimately not helpful.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Wikipedia gives 46.4°F for Scilly BTW.

I wonder about Myrtle Beach (46.5) versus Scilly (46.4)?

But I don't fundamentally disagree with the concept that vegetation defines winter climate. I just don't find it very useful because it's only one part of the year. It's sort of like being able to predict who'll be leading the Superbowl at halftime: interesting but ultimately not helpful.

Well also, I guess it depends on your preferences. As someone who grew up very depressed in winter cause of the dull colors, and first visiting FL in winter and being floored by the fact that is was very colorful and vibrant and alive.

I distinctly remember hearing leaves rustling at night in winter in FL and being wowed by that cause it so reminded me of my fav season summer. Here winter nights are extremely quiet and still and long. I was in a funk for about two weeks after returning home from there one year in January.

So I have always been more interested in what a place looks like in my worst season than my fav season. The more green and alive in winter, the less depressed I would be.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Climate is absolutely defined by vegetation, while climate classifications aren't necessarily defined by climate.

The problem with using vegetation, is when someone does not have enough specific botanical knowledge.
I know you see no benefits of climate classifications but the rest of the world does. Whence, they're tempted to use vegetation as the basis for their schema. However, at best such an approach is only partly useful.

And the limitations are not just to do with knowledge of botany (although ignorance in the field certainly doesn't help) but more to do with the fact that types of vegetation correlate rather poorly with types of climate. It's sort of like trying to guess someone's age when all you know is their hair colour.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well also, I guess it depends on your preferences. As someone who grew up very depressed in winter cause of the dull colors, and first visiting FL in winter and being floored by the fact that is was very colorful and vibrant and alive.

I distinctly remember hearing leaves rustling at night in winter in FL and being wowed by that cause it so reminded me of my fav season summer. Here winter nights are extremely quiet and still and long. I was in a funk for about two weeks after returning home from there one year in January.

So I have always been more interested in what a place looks like in my worst season than my fav season. The more green and alive in winter, the less depressed I would be.
That makes sense to me although are you sure it applies universally? From the sounds of things around here southern England is a horrible gloomy and depressing place all through the winter and right into spring no matter how green it is.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:48 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
That makes sense to me although are you sure it applies universally? From the sounds of things around here southern England is a horrible gloomy and depressing place all through the winter and right into spring no matter how green it is.
This year is going to be in the top 3 cloudiest springs ever recorded, so it isn't normal.

Scilly averages 46.8F for the whole winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather