Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:09 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times

Advertisements

Presumably they're adults, not students who are excused from classes because of snow. Folks here seem really crestfallen when they're not hammered yet probably many of them have jobs and need to navigate to work. Even retirees need to get out to MD appts., not to mention stores whose shelves are likely be depleted due to snow panic syndrome. Possible power outages can't be what's positive about snow. Is it the beauty of freshly-fallen snow. I get it, but that beauty is fleeting, like within a few days when the grime mixes in.

Is this query more appropriate to the psychology forum?

Old 12-07-2018, 01:31 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
I love cold and snow (including everything what comes with it) and I don't think I have psychological problem or mental disease..
There are people who love to sweat in the heat, and those who are content with snow...
Just the variety of human nature.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:59 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,461,627 times
It's not just the snow that's appealing.

It's also extreme cold, like subzero temps and other adverse conditions that drastically change the flow of everyday life, and force you to take precautions that you otherwise wouldn't.

Personally I love all of that (shoveling included). I would hate to live in a warm climate devoid of any of that. Sounds like ass.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
When snow is coming down it creates negative ions. Negative ions make people feel healthy, energetic and cheerful.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:31 PM

763 posts, read 380,112 times
I love the snow. I have a 4wd SUV, so I can get where I need to go. Power outages for snow don’t happen that often unless it is a very heavy, wet snow. Dry, powdery snow doesn’t cause power outages. Snowboarding is always better with fresh powder. Everything looks nicer with a fresh coat of snow. Lots of reasons to like snow.

The only thing I don’t like is driving long distances (like on the interstate) in the snow. They do a pretty good job clearing the roads here because we get regular snow. In a place where it doesn’t snow much, they are probably worse at clearing roads because they don’t have enough plows and salt.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:16 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
I could never deal with it the way i drive my Vette. I will stay in FL before i would ever move north.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
It beats boring sunny or cloudy days.
  • Its exciting.
  • Its the atmospheric storm setup involved.
  • The changing senarios.
  • The dynamics involved.
  • The different results whether it be ratios, totals or air temp.
  • The unknowns.
  • The dressed up picturesque landscape.
  • The quietness and serenity.
  • The workout involved shoveling.
  • The fresh crisp air.
  • The data to log and look back on.
  • The memories of childhood.
  • Snowmobiling, Skiing, hiking.
  • Crops! We need snowcover so ground doesnt crack and dry. Long snowpack and a Slow melt in spring is beneficial! Ask any farmer.

And because life goes on 12hrs after a 12" snowstorm here its not disruptive. Just stay off the roads during one.

I also think the fact that we wait months for it to happen helps too so its not something that we always get. If I had snow every month of the year I dont think I would be as excited. Maybe.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:29 PM

763 posts, read 380,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I could never deal with it the way i drive my Vette. I will stay in FL before i would ever move north.
You wouldn’t be going anywhere in the snow here. Your Vette wouldn’t even make it up a slight hill, let alone a steep one. Rear wheel drive is terrible in the snow.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:33 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,970,897 times
Is this query more appropriate to the psychology forum?

yes.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:00 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
It beats boring sunny or cloudy days.
  • Its exciting.
  • Its the atmospheric storm setup involved.
  • The changing senarios.
  • The dynamics involved.
  • The different results whether it be ratios, totals or air temp.
  • The unknowns.
  • The dressed up picturesque landscape.
  • The quietness and serenity.
  • The workout involved shoveling.
  • The fresh crisp air.
  • The data to log and look back on.
  • The memories of childhood.
  • Snowmobiling, Skiing, hiking.
  • Crops! We need snowcover so ground doesnt crack and dry. Long snowpack and a Slow melt in spring is beneficial! Ask any farmer.

And because life goes on 12hrs after a 12" snowstorm here its not disruptive. Just stay off the roads during one.

I also think the fact that we wait months for it to happen helps too so its not something that we always get. If I had snow every month of the year I dont think I would be as excited. Maybe.

THIS...

And the quietness and beauty is fleeting, making it more exciting. It covers up the realities of our lives for a day or two...as well as the area we live in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather