Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:13 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
I love the snow. I have a 4wd SUV, so I can get where I need to go. Power outages for snow don’t happen that often unless it is a very heavy, wet snow. Dry, powdery snow doesn’t cause power outages. Snowboarding is always better with fresh powder. Everything looks nicer with a fresh coat of snow. Lots of reasons to like snow.

The only thing I don’t like is driving long distances (like on the interstate) in the snow. They do a pretty good job clearing the roads here because we get regular snow. In a place where it doesn’t snow much, they are probably worse at clearing roads because they don’t have enough plows and salt.

This. If you live in the north, you know its a reality, and its by far my favorite time of the year. I suffer through the humidity and heat of summer, and when a cold wind comes with snow I feel rejuvenated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
It beats boring sunny or cloudy days.

• Its exciting.
  • Its the atmospheric storm setup involved.
  • The changing senarios.
  • The dynamics involved.
  • The different results whether it be ratios, totals or air temp.
  • The unknowns.
  • The dressed up picturesque landscape.
  • The quietness and serenity.
  • The workout involved shoveling.
  • The fresh crisp air.
  • The data to log and look back on.
  • The memories of childhood.
  • Snowmobiling, Skiing, hiking.
  • Crops! We need snowcover so ground doesnt crack and dry. Long snowpack and a Slow melt in spring is beneficial! Ask any farmer.

And because life goes on 12hrs after a 12" snowstorm here its not disruptive. Just stay off the roads during one.

I also think the fact that we wait months for it to happen helps too so its not something that we always get. If I had snow every month of the year I dont think I would be as excited. Maybe.
Exactly.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:53 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I ski. I welcome snow.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I can't tell you what is good about it. But I sure can they'll you what isn't. Taking 20 minutes to put on adequate clothing before you go outside.

Takes me 20 seconds... and I live in Minnesota not Missourahhh.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:45 PM

I love it. I guess I'm not an old geezer, nor was I meant to be I'm pretty active outside and love to go out no matter the weather, and I love to see the seasons change. I went twenty years of my life without any seasons so I love it. Plus... winter activities and sports.

In the end, you can choose to be happy or miserable in the snow. Either way... when there's snow. There's snow. Misery won't melt it away, you'll just be miserable AND snowed in! Btw the overreacting at super markets is a Southern thing lol Doesn't happen up north. (At least in the proper north)

Old 12-08-2018, 08:55 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's mystifying to me why so many people like snow when you factor in the negative consequences of shoveling the stuff, sliding around in your car, slipping down. Well, it is pretty when it's first falling then it gets nasty. I probably do like a snowy climate a bit better than the Seattle gray weather we have
I always find it enjoyable to be out there and shoveling it, even the heavy wet stuff. It's no different to me than dealing with other seasonal work such as raking leaves in the fall or doing garden work in the spring. I like being outdoors in the winter so it's kind of a bonus when the snow falls and I get an excuse to be out there on a work day shoveling it and cleaning off the car

Nobody has to slide around in their car as long as they drive for the conditions. If you are used to driving on snow/slush or other wintry roads then it is not a major issue. I don't find driving in the snow particularly bothersome; just leave the house earlier because I know I'm not going to be able to go the normal speed if I'm driving secondary roads or if it is snowing heavily and the plows can't keep up.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I always find it enjoyable to be out there and shoveling it, even the heavy wet stuff. It's no different to me than dealing with other seasonal work such as raking leaves in the fall or doing garden work in the spring. I like being outdoors in the winter so it's kind of a bonus when the snow falls and I get an excuse to be out there on a work day shoveling it and cleaning off the car

Nobody has to slide around in their car as long as they drive for the conditions. If you are used to driving on snow/slush or other wintry roads then it is not a major issue. I don't find driving in the snow particularly bothersome; just leave the house earlier because I know I'm not going to be able to go the normal speed if I'm driving secondary roads or if it is snowing heavily and the plows can't keep up.

While I'm not super fond of shoveling, its not the worst thing ever. Plus its a work out.

If you live where it snows enough to b*tch about shovelling, you should buy a snowblower. You know what's worse than shovelling? Cutting grass without a lawnmower. I've done that before when I didn't have a working mower and the city was gonna cite us for the boulevard being overgrown. Its stupid. At least in winter I don't have to mow my lawn lol.

And I agree. Its not crappy weather as much as crappy driving. People need to admit they probably aren't as good drivers as they claim they are. Myself included lol.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:33 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

I have a back issue and shoveling snow almost always sets it off to a pain episode. Also, I drive a Charger hellcat that is pretty terrible in the snow and you can't use it for how it was designed in the snow...yes, I also have a Jeep grand Cherokee for winter driving, I just don't like driving through the passes where I live with snow everywhere. So yeah I understand that some like snow, just don't think I'll ever fully understand why.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:51 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times
I like snow ... for a couple days at most. Here, we get snow two or three times a year, so it's mostly a novelty. At times it can be a total pain in the @ss though because they don't do a lot to keep the streets cleared. I think the city has fewer than 10 snow plows that's supplemented by private companies. If they had adequate equipment, I could handle it a lot more since stores would be open. But ... salt severely rusts your car, so that's a good enough reason for at least not driving on treated streets. I have a Subaru so I can go most anywhere in snow, but the skill level of drivers here in winter weather is near zero.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:53 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Snow and cold isn't for me at all. I wish I could live in a place like South Florida, Hawaii or Southern California. Luckily here in Vancouver at low elevations, it generally doesn't snow that often but when it does, it's a pain in the butt and I generally feel inconvenienced and in a bad mood.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:07 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
Snow is pretty and it's a welcome change of pace in weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather