Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region will get the most snow?
1: Yellow 0 0%
2: Orange 2 7.14%
3: Pink 8 28.57%
4: Blue 12 42.86%
5: White 6 21.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:46 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstodur View Post
SREF mean just got slashed to exactly 1.00" for CT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I just looked at the soundings from Euro for this area and I about fell over. Surface and up to 6000' above freezing. Rain. Sad... sad....get the flag ready again. Lol
OK guys, for those of us who are not, um, weather nerds in the same way you are (meant affectionately! ): what exactly do those things MEAN?

Cambium, I rep'd you asking about ratios -- so HIGHER ratios (like 15/1 or 20/1) mean the light, fluffy snow, while lower rations mean the heavier, wet stuff? (My area had high ratios, which of course I loved to see!! I hope they are correct!!)

I actually really enjoy these threads ... I just don't always UNDERSTAND them fully!

======

ETA: just re-checked my forecast (SW NH): a foot of snow (or more) Saturday night, followed by a "wintry mix" of snow AND ICE on Sunday (5-8"). Ugh. I would take 2 feet of snow over an inch of ice!! I HATE that term "wintry mix"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 05:43 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Latest NWS Snow Total Forecast.

Ice

Source:

Old 01-19-2019, 05:57 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I should of stuck to my gut knowing that this type of track wasn't the best for the coast.

1. With a southerly push of warm mid level temps
2. With an easterly push of warm ocean temps

Interior Hammer Job

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/s...563328/photo/1

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/winter_wx.shtml#lows

Old 01-19-2019, 06:08 AM

833 posts, read 500,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OK guys, for those of us who are not, um, weather nerds in the same way you are (meant affectionately! ): what exactly do those things MEAN?

Cambium, I rep'd you asking about ratios -- so HIGHER ratios (like 15/1 or 20/1) mean the light, fluffy snow, while lower rations mean the heavier, wet stuff? (My area had high ratios, which of course I loved to see!! I hope they are correct!!)

I actually really enjoy these threads ... I just don't always UNDERSTAND them fully!

======

ETA: just re-checked my forecast (SW NH): a foot of snow (or more) Saturday night, followed by a "wintry mix" of snow AND ICE on Sunday (5-8"). Ugh. I would take 2 feet of snow over an inch of ice!! I HATE that term "wintry mix"!!
SREF = Short Range Ensemble Forecast, the ensemble of the NAM (North American Model, the biggest mesoscale (small system) model). The SREF consists of 26 different members, all running out 87 hours. You can view SREF data here, just select your location on the map below the "graph."

As for Cambium's post on the surface and temps to 6000', I guess the best way to explain this is to take you through some soundings. Think of soundings as cross-sections of the atmosphere.

Here is a sounding for sleet. Yes, probably looks confusing, I'll walk you through. For now, only pay attention to the big graph in the middle. At the bottom scale you see the 0°C line, it extends diagonally to the right (should be the bolded dashed line on the right). That's your freezing line. As you can see, the actual temperature (red line) gets above freezing for a little bit, and then goes back below freezing down towards the surface (on the left y-axis, think of pressure as altitude, the lower the pressure, the higher the altitude). Now think of a single snowflake high up in the clouds floating down. It will melt in the section that is above freezing, but then refreezes into sleet as it goes below freezing again.

If you are wondering what makes freezing rain different, a freezing rain sounding has a shorter "distance" below freezing close to the surface so it doesn't refreeze midair into sleet.

If you have any Qs about this, feel free to ask more

Old 01-19-2019, 06:09 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Look at northern New Brunswick on your map...gonna get a ton of snow there.
On the National News last night mentioned a state of emergency declared for northern New Brunswick
for sunday, that area gets a lot of snow but this one could be really big.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:30 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I downloaded my game card and already got three of em ticked off...

I'm scheduled to work the night shift...I may just slide my car to work....save on gas!

Old 01-19-2019, 07:49 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Hey! No fair! You started early! I thought the game can't start until the storm starts in your location. (Says geocentric New Englander, not realizing that it could already be going on where you're located.)

Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
The snow part of the storm pretty much went "poof" in the southern half of the Kansas City area. I measured perhaps .25" in Johnson County, Kansas, but the wind is whipping it all over the place. The temperature is 13 (F), about 20 degrees colder than it was 12 hours ago.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:56 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
The snow part of the storm pretty much went "poof" in the southern half of the Kansas City area. I measured perhaps .25" in Johnson County, Kansas, but the wind is whipping it all over the place. The temperature is 13 (F), about 20 degrees colder than it was 12 hours ago.
More up here where it started earlier, maybe 1.5" in the deepest spots (grass). Disappointing. Apparently Atchison, KS got over 4". Just barely missed!

Old 01-19-2019, 08:56 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Our forecast (southwestern New Hampshire) has gone from "a foot or more of snow" both Saturday night AND Sunday to this, as of now: 8-12" of snow overnight, 1-3" of "wintry mix" (ugh) on Sunday.

WAY down, which is OK with me, except I'd vastly prefer snow over a "wintry mix." Hope we don't get much ice ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather