Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2021, 09:46 AM

61,938 posts, read 87,554,606 times

Advertisements

First snow today. Not melting, yet. The temps around 0C.

Old 11-30-2021, 11:13 AM

14,823 posts, read 12,073,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Yes. Record high for Chicago during the month of December is 22C. Record low is -32C. What's the record high/low in the UK for December?

I don't know about that BBC forecast for Chicago though. Our local mets are saying 16C on Thursday with mid 60s in the south suburbs where I live so that's 18-19C. The average high temp at Chicago/Midway is 3C in December and the average low is -4C. Here in the far south suburbs my average high is also 3C and my average low which is less influence by Lake Michigan and the UHI is -6C

Euro weeklies are favoring cold for December through most of Europe

I don't know to be honest , Its probably about -8 deg C to -10 deg C in London but would be -15 or so in the mountains of Scotland but I could be wrong, its definitely never gotten to -32 deg C in the UK though, the hottest winter day ever recorded in London was 21 deg C but that was in February, I imagine it would be less than that in December in London because the sun is lower in the sky. Because we are so far north we rely completely on the gulf stream warmed air temperature for our winter heat rather than anything coming out of the sun!

It seems Chicago's Decembers 'averages' are 3 deg C highs and -4 Deg C lows, London's December 'averages' are 9 deg C highs and 5 deg C lows (I've Googled it), London's coldest month is January with 9 deg C highs and 4 deg C lows whereas Chicago its 0 deg C highs and -8 deg C lows . I had an inkling that Chicago was very cold in the winter, I think of Chicago as a pleasantly warm city in the summer and a very cold city in the winter.

I've found it! The coldest temperature ever recorded in the UK is -27 deg C (which is colder than I thought it would be!), that was recorded at Braemar in the Scottish mountains back in 1895 and again in 1982. Also found this for London:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_London

The coldest December day I can see on the charts is at Heathrow which is actually outside of London to the west and it shows -11.8 deg C, there was a January day there though at -13.2. So pretty bloody awfully cold! Warmest December day shown is 16.1 deg C

Just out of interest what is the coldest and warmest temperature ever recorded in Chicago in December? A much larger range I'm guessing!

Last edited by easthome; 11-30-2021 at 11:23 AM..

Old 11-30-2021, 11:56 AM

29,589 posts, read 19,701,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't know to be honest , Its probably about -8 deg C to -10 deg C in London but would be -15 or so in the mountains of Scotland but I could be wrong, its definitely never gotten to -32 deg C in the UK though, the hottest winter day ever recorded in London was 21 deg C but that was in February, I imagine it would be less than that in December in London because the sun is lower in the sky. Because we are so far north we rely completely on the gulf stream warmed air temperature for our winter heat rather than anything coming out of the sun!
For Chicago the record warmest temps

22C in December
19C in January
24C in February

Quote:
It seems Chicago's Decembers 'averages' are 3 deg C highs and -4 Deg C lows, London's December 'averages' are 9 deg C highs and 5 deg C lows (I've Googled it), London's coldest month is January with 9 deg C highs and 4 deg C lows whereas Chicago its 0 deg C highs and -8 deg C lows . I had an inkling that Chicago was very cold in the winter, I think of Chicago as a pleasantly warm city in the summer and a very cold city in the winter.

Chicago is truly a continental climate with only a slight moderating impact from the Great Lakes. Average summertime highs are 27C in June, 29C in July and 28C in August. Though it could get quite humid

Quote:
I've found it! The coldest temperature ever recorded in the UK is -27 deg C (which is colder than I thought it would be!), that was recorded at Braemar in the Scottish mountains back in 1895 and again in 1982. Also found this for London:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_London

The coldest December day I can see on the charts is at Heathrow which is actually outside of London to the west and it shows -11.8 deg C, there was a January day there though at -13.2. So pretty bloody awfully cold! Warmest December day shown is 16.1 deg C

I remember another forumer saying that the early 1960s had cold winters in England. They were brutally cold here

Quote:
Just out of interest what is the coldest and warmest temperature ever recorded in Chicago in December? A much larger range I'm guessing!

Already shared them with you. 22C and -32C are the absolute records in December for the city of Chicago.

Old 11-30-2021, 12:13 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,543,059 times
Quote:

London is 8/3°C January (using the 1991-2020 averages).

Old 11-30-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
London is 8/3°C January (using the 1991-2020 averages).
I simply googled Londons average temperatures, apparently source is the NOAA? The warmest part of the UK is the South West, this is where the Gulf Stream is at its most 'potent', average winter lows in Cornish coasts are around 6 deg C! Pretty remarkable when you think of how far north it is! This is the Scilly Isles (islands just off the Cornish coast):-

https://www.tresco.co.uk/enjoying/abbey-garden

Tropical gardens at 50 degrees north! Average winter lows in Tresco are +6 deg C, Tresco is 9 degrees latitude further north than Chicago!

Old 11-30-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I simply googled Londons average temperatures, apparently source is the NOAA? The warmest part of the UK is the South West, this is where the Gulf Stream is at its most 'potent', average winter lows in Cornish coasts are around 6 deg C! Pretty remarkable when you think of how far north it is! This is the Scilly Isles (islands just off the Cornish coast):-

https://www.tresco.co.uk/enjoying/abbey-garden

Tropical gardens at 50 degrees north! Average winter lows in Tresco are +6 deg C, Tresco is 9 degrees latitude further north than Chicago!
Oceanic vs Continental

We're going to torch while Europe (most) is going to freeze

Old 12-01-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Oceanic vs Continental

We're going to torch while Europe (most) is going to freeze

When you 'torch' and we 'freeze' we still end up warmer

London average temp next 14 days:- 5.393
Chicago average temp next 14 days:- 4.322

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/4887398

Probably closer than usual but I imagine when we 'torch' and you 'freeze' the differences will be large.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
When you 'torch' and we 'freeze' we still end up warmer

London average temp next 14 days:- 5.393
Chicago average temp next 14 days:- 4.322

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/4887398

Probably closer than usual but I imagine when we 'torch' and you 'freeze' the differences will be large.

True. The Mean temps won't be as high here because of the minimums but when we torch our high temps are higher than anything England can get even in December.

December 2015 we had a week when the average high temp was 14.4C

In February 2017 we had a week where the average high was 19.7C (would be a normal week during June in London)

Old 12-02-2021, 08:49 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,890,829 times
Quote:
True. The Mean temps won't be as high here because of the minimums but when we torch our high temps are higher than anything England can get even in December.

In February 2017 we had a week where the average high was 19.7C (would be a normal week during June in London)

In December 2015, the entire month had an average high of 13.7°C in London. What I'd do for a winter month like that again...

Old 12-02-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately though if that kind of thing was common then the 'average' temperatures in Chicago would be a lot higher than they are! With averages below freezing it must be awfully cold there nearly all of the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather