Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2022, 07:31 AM

7,219 posts, read 3,098,049 times

Advertisements

Current temperatures in Europe.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,705,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
And the warmest parts of NZ arent that different to winters temperatures in the Mediterranean and here in Australia but that doesn't make it similar. I feel the other poster here picks out one similarity (summer temperatures) while ignoring all the other differences.

These differences are what create a gulf between both NZ and UK, also why ignore the severe difference in the sun intensity between both NZ and the UK? It's so significant in this part of the world that skin cancer rates are among the worst in the world primarily because people from these fairer skin nations (The UK) moved to this land where the Sun is more intense and harsh than what they were use to.
Yep, my climate's coolest 6 months are far closer to Rome's or Nice's coolest 6 months, than my climate's warmest 6 months are close to London's warmest 6 months. Not to mention that my climate and Rome are both have an additional 900 hours more sunshine than London, and a similar rainfall pattern.

I place more value in the opinions of those like yourself, that have lived/live in NZ, and are familiar with British climates - Brits here typically say that summers are more summery (or similar) and that the sun is much harsher than they were use to. And they certainly don't talk about the British countryside and vegetation being very similar to NZ, usually just the opposite - at the most, then might be a comment that a small stretch of road, or park etc, has an English vibe, and then that is usually by design.... an attempt to create a little slice of England.

Old 05-18-2022, 04:42 PM

Current temperatures in Europe.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:35 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,043,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yep, my climate's coolest 6 months are far closer to Rome's or Nice's coolest 6 months, than my climate's warmest 6 months are close to London's warmest 6 months. Not to mention that my climate and Rome are both have an additional 900 hours more sunshine than London, and a similar rainfall pattern.

I place more value in the opinions of those like yourself, that have lived/live in NZ, and are familiar with British climates - Brits here typically say that summers are more summery (or similar) and that the sun is much harsher than they were use to. And they certainly don't talk about the British countryside and vegetation being very similar to NZ, usually just the opposite - at the most, then might be a comment that a small stretch of road, or park etc, has an English vibe, and then that is usually by design.... an attempt to create a little slice of England.
STILL trying to convince the world that NZ is tropical I see! Or have we now moved on to 'Mediterranean'!

Lets take a look:-

Mediterannean climates:-
Malaga - Summer highs - 29.8 deg C, rainy days 2
Valetta - Summer highs - 30.8 deg C, rainy days 1.8
Paphos - Summer highs - 29.3 deg C, rainy days 1.3

Oceanic Europe:-
London - Summer highs - 23 deg C, rainy days 24.6
Paris - Summer highs - 24.3 deg C, rainy days 24.2
Berlin - Summer highs - 23.6 deg C, rainy days 24

New Zealand:-
Auckland - Summer highs - 22.8 deg C, rainy days 24.4
Wellington - Summer highs - 19.8 deg C, rainy days 23.2
Invercargill - Summer highs - 18.3 deg C, rainy days 37.6

I ask you Joe, or you Paddy where do the NZ cities fit in exactly? they look like the Oceanic European climates no!? Both in temperature and rain!!
In fact they're even colder than the European Oceanic cities!! How on earth are we supposed to believe that they're 'like the Mediterranean'! (let alone tropical!!)

Last edited by easthome; 05-18-2022 at 06:09 PM..

Old 05-18-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
STILL trying to convince the world that NZ is tropical I see! Or have we now moved on to 'Mediterranean'!

Lets take a look:-

Mediterannean climates:-
Malaga - Summer highs - 29.8 deg C, rainy days 2
Valetta - Summer highs - 30.8 deg C, rainy days 1.8
Paphos - Summer highs - 29.3 deg C, rainy days 1.3

Oceanic Europe:-
London - Summer highs - 23 deg C, rainy days 24.6
Paris - Summer highs - 24.3 deg C, rainy days 24.2
Berlin - Summer highs - 23.6 deg C, rainy days 24

New Zealand:-
Auckland - Summer highs - 22.8 deg C, rainy days 24.4
Wellington - Summer highs - 19.8 deg C, rainy days 23.2
Invercargill - Summer highs - 18.3 deg C, rainy days 37.6

I ask you Joe, or you Paddy where do the NZ cities fit in exactly? they look like the Oceanic European climates no!? Both in temperature and rain!!
In fact they're even colder than the European Oceanic cities!! How on earth are we supposed to believe that they're 'like the Mediterranean'! (let alone tropical!!)
Auckland's average summer maximum varies between about 23C to 24.6C, with Wellington ranging from 19.8C, to 22.1C - stats are serious business in weather land Bro!... enough with the laziness!

If comparing the coolest six month period vs the warmest six month period, then the closest counterpart NZ has in Europe, is the coolest six month period of the Mediterranean Atlantic regions - statistics clearly show this - far more logical to see NZ overall as a variant of those climates, with a strongly moderated warm season.

NZ doesn't fit in anywhere in Europe - but the region it is most similar to for the longest period, is southern Atlantic and Mediterranean Europe during the coolest half of the year , not the likes of Amsterdam, London or Edinburgh during the warm half of the year.

Ecology and vegetation is primarily shaped by the cold half of the year - which is why NZ environment and vegetation has more similarities with those Atlantic /Mediterranean regions, than the likes of Copenhagen, Berlin or Newcastle.

Last edited by Joe90; 05-18-2022 at 07:46 PM..

Old 05-19-2022, 10:41 AM

Morning and current temperatures in Europe.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Auckland's average summer maximum varies between about 23C to 24.6C, with Wellington ranging from 19.8C, to 22.1C - stats are serious business in weather land Bro!... enough with the laziness!

If comparing the coolest six month period vs the warmest six month period, then the closest counterpart NZ has in Europe, is the coolest six month period of the Mediterranean Atlantic regions - statistics clearly show this - far more logical to see NZ overall as a variant of those climates, with a strongly moderated warm season.

NZ doesn't fit in anywhere in Europe - but the region it is most similar to for the longest period, is southern Atlantic and Mediterranean Europe during the coolest half of the year , not the likes of Amsterdam, London or Edinburgh during the warm half of the year.

Ecology and vegetation is primarily shaped by the cold half of the year - which is why NZ environment and vegetation has more similarities with those Atlantic /Mediterranean regions, than the likes of Copenhagen, Berlin or Newcastle.
I'm going by the stats I'm given...........bro! Besides 19.8 to 22.1 hardly makes any bloody difference lol.
The Mediterranean gets proper Summer heat, NZ is colder in the Summer than Oslo!!
Your point about the Winter temperatures just goes to show how Oceanic NZ is, Oceanic climates are cool in the Summer and relatively mild in the Winter!! To prove it lets compare Plymouth to Berlin, Wellington and Valetta!:-

Berling average winter low temps and rainy days:-
-2.26 deg C, 26 rainy days

Plymouth average winter low temps and rainy days:-
4.5 deg C, 41 rainy days

Wellington average winter low temps and rainy days:-
6.3 deg C, 40 rainy days

And Valetta in the Med:-
10.5 deg C, 28.2 rainy days

So once again NZ fits right into 'Oceanic'!! Cold Summer temps and mild (certainly not warm) Winter temps is Oceanic, its certainly NOT Mediterranean let alone sub-tropical! If Wellington is like the Med then I guess Plymouth must be too! Lol.

Take a close look Joe,

Old 05-19-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I'm going by the stats I'm given...........bro! Besides 19.8 to 22.1 hardly makes any bloody difference lol.
The Mediterranean gets proper Summer heat, NZ is colder in the Summer than Oslo!!
Your point about the Winter temperatures just goes to show how Oceanic NZ is, Oceanic climates are cool in the Summer and relatively mild in the Winter!! To prove it lets compare Plymouth to Berlin, Wellington and Valetta!:-

Berling average winter low temps and rainy days:-
-2.26 deg C, 26 rainy days

Plymouth average winter low temps and rainy days:-
4.5 deg C, 41 rainy days

Wellington average winter low temps and rainy days:-
6.3 deg C, 40 rainy days

And Valetta in the Med:-
10.5 deg C, 28.2 rainy days

So once again NZ fits right into 'Oceanic'!! Cold Summer temps and mild (certainly not warm) Winter temps is Oceanic, its certainly NOT Mediterranean let alone sub-tropical! If Wellington is like the Med then I guess Plymouth must be too! Lol.

Take a close look Joe,
It doesn't to you, because you ain't concerned with accuracy.... you disrespect the forum when you bring your poorly researched stats on here.

Wellington's winter minimum is 7.7C

Wellington is warmer in summer than Oslo in the 1990-2010 normals.

At a comparable latitude to Valetta, I can find an average winter minimum of 10.9C in NZ.

Plymouth has a colder May(late spring) than my climate here (late autumn) - couldn't you have used a better example of SE English warmth?

You ignored my point from the start - that the reason the environment and vegetation are different in NZ to the UK, is because of winters- Plymouth won't do orange groves out in the open, but Wellington will, and easily.

Actually, I do regard Plymouth as transitional Mediterranean - it's rainfall does show a clear move towards warm season high pressure impacting on both rainfall and rain days.

Please Easty - your fudged statistics have no currency on a weather forum... for your own honour, you need to get this sorted Bro!

Old 05-20-2022, 04:07 AM

Quote:
It doesn't to you, because you ain't concerned with accuracy.... you disrespect the forum when you bring your poorly researched stats on here.

Wellington's winter minimum is 7.7C

Wellington is warmer in summer than Oslo in the 1990-2010 normals.

At a comparable latitude to Valetta, I can find an average winter minimum of 10.9C in NZ.

Plymouth has a colder May(late spring) than my climate here (late autumn) - couldn't you have used a better example of SE English warmth?

You ignored my point from the start - that the reason the environment and vegetation are different in NZ to the UK, is because of winters- Plymouth won't do orange groves out in the open, but Wellington will, and easily.

Actually, I do regard Plymouth as transitional Mediterranean - it's rainfall does show a clear move towards warm season high pressure impacting on both rainfall and rain days.

Please Easty - your fudged statistics have no currency on a weather forum... for your own honour, you need to get this sorted Bro!
Not from the records I've found it isn't!

https://www.google.com/search?q=well...hrome&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.com/search?q=oslo...hrome&ie=UTF-8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington#Climate

Wellington is colder than Oslo, besides we're talking a degree or two here, one thing is for certain, neither Wellington or Oslo are anything like Mediterranean, not at those temperatures or with that amount of rain!

Plymouth is NOT Mediterranean either!

Actually the 'real' 1990-2010 'normals' for Plymouth is winter lows of 15 deg C and Summer highs of 35 deg C, that's because when the sun shines its actually really really hot, I'm not sure why they don't take this into account

Old 05-20-2022, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Not from the records I've found it isn't!

https://www.google.com/search?q=well...hrome&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.com/search?q=oslo...hrome&ie=UTF-8
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington#Climate

Wellington is colder than Oslo, besides we're talking a degree or two here, one thing is for certain, neither Wellington or Oslo are anything like Mediterranean, not at those temperatures or with that amount of rain!

Sigh!

91-20 Oslo summer monthly mean 15.3C, 17,6C, 16.5C

Wellington 91-20 summer monthly means 16.5C, 17.8C, 18.0C

*the Kelburn site that you have relied on is regarded as non standard exposure, as it is a rooftop site ( a big no no in siting weather stations) It's value isn't in it being representative of Wellington, but in it's continuity, as it's being recording since 1928.
Quote:
Plymouth is NOT Mediterranean either
You're not weather people , so I'l try and explain this really simply - Mediterranean simply refers to a rainfall distribution of the C climates ( Csa, Csb), that has it's cause in the positioning of semi permanent high pressure during the warmest months. Koppen has a definitive threshold criteria, but that doesn't mean that the cause and effect of that semi permanent high pressure ceases at that threshold .... the same pattern that Porto , Concepcion, or Seattle experiences , and for the same basic cause, is also experienced by Plymouth and Wellington, but to a much lesser degree..... this is what is meant by transitional.

Last edited by Joe90; 05-20-2022 at 05:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather