Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2022, 03:49 PM

14,829 posts, read 12,101,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why do you just make up false statistics? - do you think forum members don't care whether statistics posted, are false or not? Post 860 is your post of shame!

It's pretty funny that you aren't going to even try and prove your accusation ..... although thinking about it, many "witches" also died from the actions of those who made baseless accusations ... so maybe not that funny.
Hey Joe, I'm curious when do the people of Invercargill start wearing their shorts? November? Or do they wear them year round?

Old 05-16-2022, 03:55 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,793,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Hey Joe, I'm curious when do the people of Invercargill start wearing their shorts? November? Or do they wear them year round?
I certainly didn't wear them much outside of about November- March. NZ's coldest city and it's quite a different weather experience for the majority of NZers.

Your turn - are you formally acknowledging that you won't try to prove your accusation that I say, or imply, that NZ is tropical? ... you want out fella?

Old 05-16-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I certainly didn't wear them much outside of about November- March. NZ's coldest city and it's quite a different weather experience for the majority of NZers.

Your turn - are you formally acknowledging that you won't try to prove your accusation that I say, or imply, that NZ is tropical? ... you want out fella?
Its funny isn't Joe how Invercargill is in the South of NZ but has temperatures like Glasgow - which is in the North of the UK All backwards! The majority of NZers though (the ones that live further North) instead of Summer highs in the teens like Invercargill probably have scorching highs in the low 20's like Southern Britain, definite pattern emerging there Joe.

By the way isn't Dunedin the coldest place in NZ?

Old 05-16-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Its funny isn't Joe how Invercargill is in the South of NZ but has temperatures like Glasgow - which is in the North of the UK All backwards! The majority of NZers though (the ones that live further North) instead of Summer highs in the teens like Invercargill probably have scorching highs in the low 20's like Southern Britain, definite pattern emerging there Joe.
Why is it funny?- true weather folk seek to understand the role of ocean currents, geography, and latitude, and use this to provide a framework for greater understanding. While you're stuck in the mind set of providing false weather statistics to bolster your arguments.

Sure, the warmest parts of the UK ain't that much different for summer temperatures to most of NZ, but that doesn't mean orange groves for Cornwall ... that's just the way it is.

I answer your questions, so now it's time for you to do the same - why the false statistics?, why don't you try to provide proof of a serious accusation (by weather folks standards)that you have made?

Uk's warmest whole summer maximum is 22.9C, while NZ's is 25.3C - not a big difference, but better to try and avoid vagueness.

Invercargill is colder than Dunedin by annual mean, but both are far from being the coldest place in NZ.

Last edited by Joe90; 05-16-2022 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-16-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Why is it funny?- true weather folk seek to understand the role of ocean currents, geography, and latitude, and use this to provide a framework for greater understanding. While you're stuck in the mind set of providing false weather statistics to bolster your arguments.

Sure, the warmest parts of the UK ain't that much different for summer temperatures to most of NZ, but that doesn't mean orange groves for Cornwall ... that's just the way it is.

I answer your questions, so now it's time for you to do the same - why the false statistics?, why don't you try to provide proof of a serious accusation (by weather folks standards)that you have made?

Invercargill is colder than Dunedin by annual mean, but both are far from being the coldest place in NZ.
Coldest place would (I imagine) be on top of the mountains, funnily enough just like it is here who would have thunk it! But is Dunedin is the coldest town for Summer highs and Invercargill coldest for Winter lows?

Dunedin average Summer high 16.6 deg C, average Winter low 6 deg C
Invercargill average Summer high 18.6 deg C, average Winter low 1.3 deg C

Last edited by easthome; 05-16-2022 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-16-2022, 04:52 PM

Edit:-
Found more accurate readings:-

Dunedin average Summer high 18.26 deg C, average Winter low 3.76 deg C
Invercargill average Summer high 18.26 deg C, average Winter low 1.7 deg C

Looks like Invercargill does shade it for 'coldest city' crown after all!

Old 05-16-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Coldest place would (I imagine) be on top of the mountains, funnily enough just like it is here who would have thunk it! But is Dunedin is the coldest town for Summer highs and Invercargill coldest for Winter lows?

Dunedin average Summer high 16.6 deg C, average Winter low 6 deg C
Invercargill average Summer high 18.6 deg C, average Winter low 1.3 deg C
I would guess the coldest annual temperatures would be high in the mountains. There are a number of towns at high altitude by NZ standards, which have annual means around 8C.

Dunedin- winter minimums and summer maximum is 3.7C/18,4C
Dunedin airport: 0.2C/20.6C

Invercargill: 1.8C/18.4C

That's for the whole three months of each season.

My climate: 1.9C/23.2C
Heathrow: 2.8C/22.9C

Last edited by Joe90; 05-16-2022 at 05:11 PM..

Old 05-17-2022, 07:14 AM

29,590 posts, read 19,734,555 times
Spain and France will feel like mid summer

Old 05-18-2022, 05:21 AM

2,958 posts, read 1,350,525 times
Quote:
No it doesn't, see post 860 Paddy, its all there, don't hijack the thread.
I'm not hijacking the thread. I lived in NZ for almost 8 years. You ignore too many variables when making comparisons to both NZ and the UK. Parts of NZ are In the subtropical zone similar to France and Spain. The UK isn't even close to subtropical. That's because where the overlap occurs between NZ and the UK is both the South of England and the South of NZ. Just so you know, the distance between invercargil and Auckland is similar to the distance between London and Malaga in the south of Spain

NZ is much larger than the UK, it spans 2 different climate zones. New Zealand because of it's long narrow span and distance from other landmass is heavily moderated by the sea which is why it's summers are cooler but it's winters are also as mild as the likes of France and Spain. I mean the record lows of the North Island in many areas barely hit below freezing in it's history. Sunshine on top of that is again more similar to France and Spain. The only difference between NZ (North Island) and Spain is the summer temperatures. Winter temperatures are similar In many parts and sunshine hours are similar however going into the Mediterranean is were Spain largely takes over. This is why it's landscape and vegetation is so similar.

For example Auckland winter average lows are just slightly below here in Perth yet significantly warmer than London. Perth has a climate similar to Jerusalem and LA. Does that mean because they are so similar to Auckland in winter that Auckland has a Mediterranean climate? Of course not but this is literally how you try and compare NZ and the UK. There are more variables at play. New Zealand gets more subtropical vegetation and fruit mainly because it's winters resemble a climate that can support it naturally. The UK gets too cold especially it's record lows which are devastatingly cold compared to NZ.

Last edited by Paddy234; 05-18-2022 at 05:34 AM..

Old 05-18-2022, 06:32 AM

2,958 posts, read 1,350,525 times
Quote:

Uk's warmest whole summer maximum is 22.9C, while NZ's is 25.3C - not a big difference, but better to try and avoid vagueness.

And the warmest parts of NZ arent that different to winters temperatures in the Mediterranean and here in Australia but that doesn't make it similar. I feel the other poster here picks out one similarity (summer temperatures) while ignoring all the other differences.

These differences are what create a gulf between both NZ and UK, also why ignore the severe difference in the sun intensity between both NZ and the UK? It's so significant in this part of the world that skin cancer rates are among the worst in the world primarily because people from these fairer skin nations (The UK) moved to this land where the Sun is more intense and harsh than what they were use to.

Last edited by Paddy234; 05-18-2022 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather