Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2021, 12:35 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times

Advertisements

12Z GFS has some good appetizers to look forward to regarding cold air, check out the 9-14 day time period. Now it has shown cold before, but this is the 2nd or 3rd day in a row that has been somewhat consistent showing at least one strong arctic front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2021, 01:22 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
12Z GFS has some good appetizers to look forward to regarding cold air, check out the 9-14 day time period. Now it has shown cold before, but this is the 2nd or 3rd day in a row that has been somewhat consistent showing at least one strong arctic front.
Yup you’re finally getting your wish. No more crape myrtles southern magnolias or any other sensitive semi tropical plants in your area. I’m sure that your idea of a normal winter for Indianapolis is when Indy falls to -20 F or colder; something that has not happened since January 1994 at least for Indianapolis’ airport, to make matters worse these systems won’t have much at all in the way of precipitation.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:34 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
All 12z Models today have the snowstorm next week Feb 1-2, 2021. #LockItIn

Basically a storm comes from the southern Plains and moves into the Ohio Valley while a coastal storm develops over SC and moves up. The Ohio storm transfers its energy into the coastal storm. Boom. Juicy coastal primary storm for us and cold enough air.

Looks like we may have another poll to do. Let me wait 1 more day see if there's continued consistency.

And.... The models call for snow to sleet in LI. What a joke.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:42 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Yup you’re finally getting your wish. No more crape myrtles southern magnolias or any other sensitive semi tropical plants in your area. I’m sure that your idea of a normal winter for Indianapolis is when Indy falls to -20 F or colder; something that has not happened since January 1994 at least for Indianapolis’ airport, to make matters worse these systems won’t have much at all in the way of precipitation.
-20F or colder happens nearly every winter in the Upper Midwest and interior New England, I used to live in Wisconsin as well as New Hampshire. I recorded 14F this morning in central Floyd County, IN. The low temperature forecast was 6F too warm with over 3 inches of snow on the ground. The coldest it got all last winter was 10F and that happened not in winter, but on November 13th. I do think there is a good chance of single digit lows or colder in February as long as the models don't do a complete 180 degree flip again.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:47 PM

2,947 posts, read 2,914,764 times
Quote:
In the other hand Euro sees that monster cold too, but heading west instead. Interesting situation to track in the long run and see who gets it right.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
-20F or colder happens nearly every winter in the Upper Midwest and interior New England, I used to live in Wisconsin as well as New Hampshire. I recorded 14F this morning in central Floyd County, IN. The low temperature forecast was 6F too warm with over 3 inches of snow on the ground. The coldest it got all last winter was 10F and that happened not in winter, but on November 13th. I do think there is a good chance of single digit lows or colder in February as long as the models don't do a complete 180 degree flip again.
Really???the interior portions of New England must be more prone to severe arctic outbreaks than I previously thought.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:33 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,276 times
Here we go. NWS is coming around with a bit of a colder forecast for this weekend's storm. From the NWS Indianapolis forecast discussion:

Quote:
A couple of takeaway points with the weekend storm system:

- prepare for a high impact winter storm with travel difficulties especially late Saturday through early Monday at times

- the eventual location of the transition line will dictate snowfall accumulations and duration of varying precip types

- ice is not expected to be a concern...precip should largely be in the form of snow and rain

- this has the potential to be the highest impact winter storm to effect central Indiana in terms of potential snowfall accumulations in 3 years

- winter weather headlines will likely be needed within the next 24- 36 hours as more model consensus narrows down the details
The bolded part is exciting, but it looks like it will change to a cold rain on Sunday with temps in the mid-30s. If that happens on top of 4-5 inches of snow, and then temps drop well into the 20s Sunday night, things are going to be a mess around here!

Old 01-28-2021, 03:30 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Been in the low 40s all day but at least it's been sunny. Pretty comfy in my apartment with the blinds open getting max sunlight. Can really tell a difference in sunset time too. Over half an hour later now and just after 6pm.
Can actually tell that the tree by my apartment balcony is growing its buds out. Last year it flowered mid Feb. Of course we're still really a few solid weeks before we can even think Spring but hey it's on the way

Old 01-28-2021, 03:37 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,886 times
Major Winter Storm incoming

NYC 12-18"

Pittsburgh 8-12"
Philadelphia 8-12"
Boston 8-12"
Baltimore 8-12"

DC 5-8"
Albany 5-8"
Cleveland 5-8"
Columbus, OH 5-8"
Chicago 5-8"

Detroit 3-5"
Buffalo 3-5"
Rochester 3-5"

Lexington 1-3"
Indianapolis 1-3"

Old 01-28-2021, 04:01 PM

Another miserable day in Fort Worth Texas. Couldn’t even make it to 50 degrees for a high temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather