Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM

830 posts, read 1,729,355 times

Advertisements

What constitutes a real summer/winter? A poster in the Chicago forums recently said that Chicago does not have a "real summer" because it doesn't get hot enough on average. I say if that's not a real summer, I never want to see a real summer as long as I live!

What should the temperatures be in order to qualify as:
1. a real summer (for me temps should be above 70 consistently for at least 2 months)?
2. a real winter (for me temps should be less than 50 consistently for at least 2 months)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Anyone who thinks Chicago lacks a real summer is obviously very silly indeed.

For me, a real winter should have snow cover most of the time, even if it thaws occasionally.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:31 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
It depends on where you live. For example, most of the posters in this forums would think Buenos Aires doesnt not have a winter, and not even close (average high for June, one of the 2 coldest months of the year, was 17 celsius -62 farenheit- very sunny), while most Porteños (people that live in BA) would argue that BA not only does have a winter, but a very cold one (LOL).

Me being in this forum made me realize we dont have a winter at all, maybe an autumn, and a short one that is, cause the spring weather comes back in august and April and May are even warmer than August, so....basically June and July would be the only autumn months, with June being a warm autumn month, or maybe even a spring month. Basically July will be the only "cool" month, and this is if we are lucky.

Now, going by 55 degrees scale, we have NO winter whatsoever and have 8 months of summer

Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,559,719 times
Places such as Murmansk, Fairbanks, and Winnipeg don't have real winters.

Only places such as Amundsen-Scott, Verkhoyansk and Vostok have true winters.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
London averages 81 days per year above 70F, and 80 days per year below 50F. So we have about 3 months summer and winter!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
Too subjective to answer. Winter and summer in some places has little to do with temperature and mainly corresponds to a rainy/dry season.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
In Nivalis's case that would be the rainy season/dry season, as opposed to the plain-language meaning of Summer and Winter. I have sensible criteria for real summer and real winter. Although they may be a bit flawed it works very well for me:

Real Summer: 70/50F or warmer for at least 4 months, plus at least one month at 80/60F or warmer.

Real Winter: -3C or colder for each of the 3 coldest months and at least 50 inches of snow per season.

This ensures consistent warmth and heat in summer, and snow cover along with cold temperatures in winter. This is not my criteria for what I like, but what I'd consider the minimum for a true expression of the particular season. Rather strong seasons where the character of the season is most apparent and the best expression of that season are expressed in my "high summer" and "high winter" categories. Below are their criteria:

High Summer: 80/60F or warmer for each of the 3 hottest months, at least one month 85/65F or warmer; record lows 40F or warmer for each of the three hottest months.

High Winter: 25/10F or cooler for 2 or more months, at least 50 inches of snow per season, and record highs being sub-60F for each of the 3 coldest months, and sub-50F for at least one month.

In the case of High Winter meeting those criteria is a requirement for me to rate a climate highly. In North America at least, it seems to be a naturally distinct level of winter which has pretty much guaranteed snow cover. A map of the Laurentian snowpack line in early January 2012 and the High Winter line in Canada is most interesting. They coincide. That surprised even me when I looked at the snow cover maps at that time.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
My personal definition
real summer- when I can get out of the water after a swim and be comfortable in the air within just a minute or two
real winter- if there is at least as much snow as there is rain

Old 07-03-2012, 04:50 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,465,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My personal definition
real summer- when I can get out of the water after a swim and be comfortable in the air within just a minute or two
real winter- if there is at least as much snow as there is rain
I think this would be my definition as well. A real summer should be warm enough that swimming and participating in water-related activities (jet-skiing, surfing etc) is comfortable and enjoyable.

A real winter is one that allow for decent snowfall (6+ inches at time) and when snow stays on the ground for at least a couple of weeks after a snowfall.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,418,823 times
Real summer: You can hard boil an egg in a tub of water left in the sun

Real winter: Any time I feel cold outside naked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather