Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 09:02 PM

75 posts, read 108,259 times

Advertisements

I know I'm just saying that it's simply what I think everyone thinks that Australia is desert wasteland that everyone think Russia is coldest country in the entire world and is a bad as Antartica if not worse uk is wettest place on earth it's not Mexico is not complete desert.i agree with the one about China
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,251 times
Well stereotypes stick.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:29 AM

1,503 posts, read 921,168 times
It's not quite true, the USA is often stereotyped as having a typical or idealized NH four season climate with warm to hot summers, then fall leaves, snowy winters etc. Especially in the SH where the leaves and snow aren't so familiar.

One complicating factor is that LA and surroundings are very well known because of the film and entertainment industries.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,960,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmin35 View Post
expect the uk which is same everywhere you go so show something different that is not the same weather everywhere in all these countries however no one calls the United States as either hot everywhere or cold everywhere because it depends on where you are same with all these nations.

You really think the UK has the same climate everywhere? I would say southern England is quite different than Scotland for one.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
sensationalism why we always hear so many people die in India from heat or why some like Sochi will not appear on the news because is is not extreme like for instance the cold in the Midwest and heat in southwest in exaggerated because than it make headlines same with the Middle East or the reason and bushfires in Australia make international headlines it because their exciting.

I think you may be generalizing a bit too much. Loads of people all over the world saw how warm Sochi was that they couldn't even properly hold the Winter Olympics and we all saw the snowcapped mountains and the green valleys with the palm trees.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Saibot I'm not from the USA but because I speak English language of England (UK) so does the USA so I dream of living their not just because there is no language barrier but because there s o much to do so much explore I could Death Valley see the northern lights go skiing in Colorado to surfing in California so yeah.

This is called being seduced by Hollywood BS. You can dream of living here, but so much of this country is same same and not at all as climatically exciting as you think. Large swaths of the country (midwest, upper midwest etc) change very little for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:46 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,469,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
This is called being seduced by Hollywood BS. You can dream of living here, but so much of this country is same same and not at all as climatically exciting as you think. Large swaths of the country (midwest, upper midwest etc) change very little for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

Quite the opposite really. The bulk of the country is very climatically exciting with four properly defined seasons. Honestly, the only truly boring parts are the areas that are in the vicinity (say 100 to 200 miles) of the west coast and the Gulf coast.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:02 AM

256 posts, read 156,866 times
It's because in the Anglosphere, the US is well-understood as a large country of regions, and those regions are what is stereotyped. It's well-understood this way because of the dominance of American mass media in the English-speaking world.

This is also why Canada's always portrayed as an icebox, Australia as a desert, New Zealand as Middle Earth, and Great Britain as the terrestrial manifestation of depression.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:47 AM

12 posts, read 11,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I have never in my 74 years living in the USA heard anyone say or write they think its climate USA is the "most climatically diverse country on earth". Or heard anyone say all of China is the same -- including my four grandparents, none of whom finished grade school.
People say that all the time because it is. The contiguous US alone has 26 mapped Köppen climate types to China’s 18

Old 01-26-2022, 09:55 AM

12 posts, read 11,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
It's not quite true, the USA is often stereotyped as having a typical or idealized NH four season climate with warm to hot summers, then fall leaves, snowy winters etc. Especially in the SH where the leaves and snow aren't so familiar.

One complicating factor is that LA and surroundings are very well known because of the film and entertainment industries.
The US is stereotyped for hot, tropical desert (the southwest) tropical (Florida and Hawaii) subtropical and humid (the south) temperate 4 season (the northeast) mountainous and alpine (the west, Colorado) mild and Mediterranean (California) temperate and rainy (the Pacific Northwest) extremely continental, stormy and often semi-arid (the Midwest and the Great Plains) and Frigid/Arctic (Alaska). Different states have their own stereotypes.

It’s not just LA that complicates things and the US isn’t just known for four seasons aside from people like you, who are obsessed with making the US out to be more “continental” than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather