Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2022, 09:43 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
We had a very light dusting of snow early Sunday morning before daybreak. Officially it went down as a trace at the NWS office on the opposite side of Indianapolis. Here on the northeast side it was maybe a couple tenths of an inch. Dry for the next few days and then maybe snow on Thursday. Some models keep us dry. NWS currently says worse case scenario is 3 inches mainly south of Indianapolis. We shall see. Either way, temps all week will be at or below normal. Thursday and Friday look to stay in the teens for highs and lows in the single digits. If we end up with a snowpack, lows could approach zero Friday morning.
Yes, I think the snow could surprise to the upside for the Ohio Valley later this week if things setup a bit more favorably. Of course snow in the Tennessee Valley and other areas of the Southeast overperformed as well last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2022, 10:13 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,406,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Nutty temperature changes in the Florida panhandle yesterday to today. In Pensacola at 10 am this morning it's 4°C; yesterday at the same time it was 24°C with a dew point temperature of 23°C!!!

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPNS.html

This video shows snow falling (not accumulating) 4 km from the beach in Pensacola.

Source: https://twitter.com/PensacolaWx/stat...515276804?s=20
:shoc ked:

Proof you don't need 0 Celsius or lower for snow.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:36 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,569,549 times
I've seen it snow in the upper 30's. It melts as it hits the ground. The air seems cold enough above weather near ground temps are freezing temps or not. The fore cast has taken a nose dive here and it's now supposed to be in the upper 20's tonight instead of the middle 30's.... Weather extremes are not new to this old man. One winter I waited until the high for the day was above 0° (F) to change spark plugs in my pickup and the summer had highs in 3 digits for the month of July. I do not remember the exact year (about 1980 give or take a couple) or which came first but my wife and I will never forget losing a tomato crop due to the pure heat and how the worst cold we had ever experienced was so brutal. That was in NW MO. That summer is when some old farmers were reminiscing the summer of 1934 when it was hot and water holes dried up and cattle died in the pastures while people were sleeping on their porches. I don't understand the highly detailed modern online charts and am to old to learn what they all mean. My source of info is right 80% of the time and people use it to make financial decisions for a lot of agricultural commodities as well as using private forecasters. I'm new to this area of the south but here people expect wet winters and this year colder over all is the norm expected. Not every day or even week but many are prepared for cold snaps that can be costly for the unprepared.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 01-03-2022 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-03-2022, 01:26 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Looking like it may stay freezing the remainder of the afternoon. Not aware of any sleet accumulation in the area.

Clearing is forecast tonight and wind should die down. Hard freeze warning issued with low of 25F forecast. Warming to 50F tomorrow but should have good radiational cooling tomorrow night - low of 27F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Downtown coastal Mobile gets its first frost today.

The remainder of the locations I'm tracking have yet to get any.
Houston at IAH got to freezing mark/below twice — brief dips down to 31°F in early morning both yesterday and today.

Central Houston narrowly dodged the freeze, though — at HOU, morning temps yesterday and today stayed at 34°F and 33°F, respectively. Galveston didn't get below 39°F.

Was purely a cold and dry front at all sites in Houston, so nothing in the way of wintry precip. Temps area-wide now warming through the 50s.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:35 PM

397 posts, read 255,327 times
Been out for a walk and saw trees with spring blooms, at the earliest they'll bloom in late January, but this is unreal. But temps are going to be more moderate this week, finally some 50s and low 60s for highs instead of yucky sweaty 80 plus.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:38 PM

397 posts, read 255,327 times
Quote:
:shoc ked:

Proof you don't need 0 Celsius or lower for snow.
As long as the upper layers of the atmosphere are below freezing, I think snow can fall with surface temperatures above 0 C/32 F, but not too warm.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:52 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,406,342 times
This recent snow in Pensacola is, IMO, a real testament to the fact that snow has far more to do with how moist it is when it gets cold in any given place than how cold the place is. I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around that, but this did the trick.

@kema, thanks for the heads up. Interestingly, the situation in Houston where the out of town airports got freezes but downtown didn't is a lot like what happened in Tallahassee, Savannah, and Charleston.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:30 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
LOL, GFS is completely out to lunch compared to the Euro for snow potential in the Ohio Valley for Thursday. I'm banking on the Euro because I think the pattern has flipped- PNA is gradually shifting into positive territory, southeast ridge was squashed a good bit by the last cold front, and somewhat more snow cover across the Midwest keeping things cooler upstream.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
@kema, thanks for the heads up. Interestingly, the situation in Houston where the out of town airports got freezes but downtown didn't is a lot like what happened in Tallahassee, Savannah, and Charleston.
No problem. In addition to downtown, the outskirts that are coastward into Galveston Bay/Galveston avoided freezing as well — perhaps combination influence of the urban development with water moderation. The southerly municipitalities in Houston (i.e. Sugar Land, Pearland, Kemah, League City, etc) tend to also avoid as low temperatures that hit IAH farther north.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
LOL, GFS is completely out to lunch compared to the Euro for snow potential in the Ohio Valley for Thursday. I'm banking on the Euro because I think the pattern has flipped- PNA is gradually shifting into positive territory, southeast ridge was squashed a good bit by the last cold front, and somewhat more snow cover across the Midwest keeping things cooler upstream.
I heard that one factor that is responsible for the SE ridge is warm SSTs at the Maritime Continent. One thing that has been mentioned in the future is the reawakening of the Indian Ocean Dipole — I wonder how that will affect winter weather in the US, because a strong + Dipole there shifts warmer waters towards Eastern Africa rather than the Maritime Continent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather