Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2021, 07:23 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times

Advertisements

Can't wait for the snow to melt in western Oregon. We've had about a foot on the ground since Saturday and we may get more snow today. OTOH, last summer, we hit 115 plus for a few days. Hmmm, global climate change? At least, being retired, I don't have to drive to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2021, 07:25 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Can't wait for the snow to melt in western Oregon. We've had about a foot on the ground since Saturday and we may get more snow today. OTOH, last summer, we hit 115 plus for a few days. Hmmm, global climate change? At least, being retired, I don't have to drive to work.
Extreme weather events are the new normal everywhere. Massive amounts of winter rain are becoming common in the Ohio Valley, 3-6'' of rainfall here this weekend.. This becoming far more common in the last 10-20 years with warming winter temperatures.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:56 AM

749 posts, read 418,578 times
Willamette City,

I grew-up in Oregon (Foothills of the Cascades) and lived in Portland to Albany, OR! I can remember in the 60s-mid 70s having cold winters and lots of snow (for a couple of weeks at a time)...Then, the weather changed!
My brothers had to evacuate up in the Canyon (East of Salem), I believe a couple of years ago, when the wildfires broke out! Never remember any level 1, 2, or 3 evacuations when I grew-up! Thankful the fire did not consume the old homestead or my brothers properties, but many suffered throughout that area. Remember seeing around Detroit Lake snags from an old burn in the 30s.
I commuted during a period of my life on Hwy 22 (pray for me I drive Hwy22) into Salem...It was hell!

Old 12-30-2021, 03:10 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
GFS is the only one to bring snow to the coast here Monday. latest 18z has a little more as it puts the Low off the coast West more.

TREND WEST MORE PLEASE. :-) Gotta get this boredom out of my system

Old 12-30-2021, 04:56 PM

763 posts, read 379,158 times
It has been such a mild winter so far, with this whole week in the 60s. It was 65F here at midnight on Tuesday.

A cold front comes in on Sunday, with a high of 55F and a low of 19F. The front will bring rain that will eventually turn into snow, but we shouldn’t see anything more than a dusting at most.

I haven’t recorded anything more than a trace of snow this season, which I think happened on about 5 occasions. It is very unusual to go through all of November and December without recording 0.1 in of snow or more. We normally get 8 inches of snow total between November and December. Hopefully things change soon. It does look like we will return to winter weather again soon.

I feel like this boring winter weather has contributed to this thread being way less active than in years past. I know I post more when we have the potential for cold and snow.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:56 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Scary situation in Colorado today as strong downslope winds have whipped up wildfires in the foothills north and west of Denver. People are being evacuated from the Boulder area--this video shows why.

Source: https://twitter.com/wendybco/status/...231792141?s=20

Old 12-30-2021, 07:19 PM

749 posts, read 418,578 times
Currently Here, in Downeast Maine...30F Degrees, Dew Point 29F Degrees, Winds North 2mph, Gusts 4mph...
Looking dicey...
Remembering (Listening to, "Time Passages," by Al Stewart)...
Here's a memory from awhile ago on December 30, 2016:
We set out yesterday after work, with much trepidation, only to find, the storm was delayed in it's arrival...Still, as we approached closer to home we experienced the whirling snow almost engulf us as we traveled on into the darkness...Familiar signposts came and passed (The Baptist Bell tower shining in the darkness, certain snowplow turnoffs, a Gas Station sign at the top of a hill), until finally the light in the distance, which lit the sign to our turn-off, was seen and passed...We sighed as we drove into our driveway in our dooryard....We made it safely home - thanks to your prayers!!
It was still early evening and the impending storm was brewing...

Old 12-30-2021, 10:16 PM

5,720 posts, read 3,504,425 times
Reports of hundreds of homes destroyed near Boulder. Devastating.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/12/3...o-grass-fires/

Old 12-31-2021, 01:14 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Extreme weather events are the new normal everywhere. Massive amounts of winter rain are becoming common in the Ohio Valley, 3-6'' of rainfall here this weekend.. This becoming far more common in the last 10-20 years with warming winter temperatures.
Well, I live on the Ohio River and the forecast here is currently only at 40% chance of rain today and that won't start until later Friday night. Tomorrow (Saturday) with the real rain event, the forecast is for 1-2 inches, Sunday the chance of rain decreases to 34%. I very much doubt I'll get anywhere near the massive rainfall you think is going to happen this weekend.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:54 AM

2,815 posts, read 1,405,653 times
Apart from Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, all the locations out of Pensacola, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Tampa, Orlando, Daytona Beach, Jacksonville Beach, St. Augustine, St. Marys, Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, New Orleans, Ocracoke, and Cape Hatteras that I am tracking still have yet to get to 0 Celsius or below.

Even the 3 that will are only going to get it on New Year's Day. For Dallas that's 50 days late (avg. November 12), and while Wikipedia does not give the exact averages for Austin and San Antonio, it would be around a month late taking mean minima as reference.

Nice contrast to Winter Storm Uri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather