Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:05 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,685,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I would never relate any dog to Texas weather. That old term only has to do with the constellation and the "dog" star and nothing to do with our living canines.
I never knew where the old saying came from. It was talked about by the grownups when I was quite young as the most hostile hot time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 06:13 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,412,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I never knew where the old saying came from. It was talked about by the grownups when I was quite young as the most hostile hot time of year.
I've heard that expression all my life, I have no idea what it means, but I do know it's HOT right now and to me, it is the most horrible time of the year!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 08:20 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Yes, hostile and hot is right.

The dog days are defined as the period from July 3 through Aug. 11 when the Dog Star, Sirius, rises in conjunction (or nearly so) with the Sun. As a result, some felt that the combination of the brightest luminary of the day (the Sun) and the brightest star of night (Sirius) was responsible for the extreme heat that is experienced during the middle of the summertime.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,685,451 times
Quote:
Yes, hostile and hot is right.

The dog days are defined as the period from July 3 through Aug. 11 when the Dog Star, Sirius, rises in conjunction (or nearly so) with the Sun. As a result, some felt that the combination of the brightest luminary of the day (the Sun) and the brightest star of night (Sirius) was responsible for the extreme heat that is experienced during the middle of the summertime.
That explains it. Some of my ancestors did everything by the almanac. Stars ruled. I never paid it any mind. I guess I'm not to old to learn something new. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,904,436 times
Quote:
Oh, heavens. Hot is hot and Dallas is stifling right now.
Too Beautiful for words:

World Weather Information Service - Dallas Ft Worth, Texas

Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,188,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
I cannot wait until January when I can post a forecast from Minneapolis for a week straight below zero and get to call that beautiful.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:09 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,968,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I cannot wait until January when I can post a forecast from Minneapolis for a week straight below zero and get to call that beautiful.
haha I think you should use International Falls, MN or Verkhojansk, Russia better....they are guranteed to have below zero weather (for both highs and lows)

Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,467,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Yea, but SAB is serious when he said it's beautiful. I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for his passport right now so he can head to Tx.

Fascinating about "the dog days of summer". It's a term I have heard a lot throughout the years, too.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:03 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,968,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yea, but SAB is serious when he said it's beautiful. I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for his passport right now so he can head to Tx.

Fascinating about "the dog days of summer". It's a term I have heard a lot throughout the years, too.
I'd be serious also if I saw a forecast for a full week of subzero temps and called it "beautiful" . (j/k...I'd think about you first...and then i'd fell bad )

Yea, right now (Aug.1) is the hottest day on average of the year here. I thought the Dog Days meant that hot, humid weather just kept on dragging deep into August and September........I stand corrected.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:18 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,904,436 times
^^ our Average coldest week of the year was last week, and it felt like it too, complete with a high of 10C/50F and a 3.4C low aswell.

It's all going to improve from now on

Jammie's right, I am deadly serious about my comments towards Dallas summer weather
I just checked it again and it's even more spectacular than before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather