Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
^^ our Average coldest week of the year was last week, and it felt like it too, complete with a high of 10C/50F and a 3.4C low aswell.

It's all going to improve from now on

Jammie's right, I am deadly serious about my comments towards Dallas summer weather
I just checked it again and it's even more spectacular than before!

Spectacular? When it's so hot outside that you risk a heat stroke from just mowing your lawn? When the grass that isn't already dead is shriveled up and dying from the extreme heat?

I think if you experience this kind of heat for long enough you'd change your mid §AB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
OMG guys, I didn't mean to minimize your awful temps down there. I love hot weather, but our local radio station was also talking about it. They said there were three heat related deaths in the Dallas area. It really is too hot. Yesterday the heat started in the KC area and went south. Today it starts in northern Neb. and goes all the way south. I am just missing it by living about an hour north of the extreme heat.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Right now it's 107 here. We are four hours shy of the hottest time of the day. We'll probably go over 110 easily; I wouldn't doubt 115. I was supposed to mow today but fuggetaboutit!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:11 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Right now it's 107 here. We are four hours shy of the hottest time of the day. We'll probably go over 110 easily; I wouldn't doubt 115. I was supposed to mow today but fuggetaboutit!
Mow the devil. I wouldn't even go fishing. And I like to fish. There's a time and place for most everything but mowing in TX in August must not be one of them. May I extend my sympathies to all suffering the heat wave. Please be careful out there. And to think I'm complaining about my hot central FL weater. We can't match what you've got to deal with. Maybe the weather is where it's bigger and hotter in TX came from.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Mow the devil. I wouldn't even go fishing. And I like to fish. There's a time and place for most everything but mowing in TX in August must not be one of them. May I extend my sympathies to all suffering the heat wave. Please be careful out there. And to think I'm complaining about my hot central FL weater. We can't match what you've got to deal with. Maybe the weather is where it's bigger and hotter in TX came from.

I'm not doing anything (ouside), nor is anyone else around here. It's as quiet as the dead of night and if I tilt my head just right I can hear the ground cracking.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:17 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post

The first time my husband came to visit me (we met on the internet, he lived in NC), it was 107 degrees with humidity in the 95% range. At 10:00 at night, it was still in the 90s. We went to Galveston for a day to cool off, because it was only 97 degrees there.
Overexaggerrate much? I know Houston could get hot. But 95% humidity in the middle of the afternoon with 107 degrees in Houston? That is impossible. If it was that temperature. Then the heat index or what it feels like is 237.2 degrees. I don't think so.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:47 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,173 times
Quote:
Spectacular? When it's so hot outside that you risk a heat stroke from just mowing your lawn? When the grass that isn't already dead is shriveled up and dying from the extreme heat?
I've been outside for long periods of time in 40C heat and never felt sick or anything. The only think I felt was joy and happiness

Quote:
I think if you experience this kind of heat for long enough you'd change your mid §AB.
I don't think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I am just missing it by living about an hour north of the extreme heat.
Unfortunately, Melbourne is also positioned about an hour too far south to get the full effect of heatwaves, which gratly ticks me off 99% of the time, you'd see places like Adelaide enjoying 40C days, while we may be 20-25C and cloudy atthe same time

Old 08-03-2008, 07:13 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,281,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Overexaggerrate much? I know Houston could get hot. But 95% humidity in the middle of the afternoon with 107 degrees in Houston? That is impossible. If it was that temperature. Then the heat index or what it feels like is 237.2 degrees. I don't think so.
You are right and the dew point would be 105. I don't think the poster is exaggerating but is just mixed up on the temperature vs. the humidity. It's easy to get confused and forgot just how hot a place really is or in this case, forget that it may have been a bit cooler.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:29 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:

I would agree with that for myself had I not developed a nerve disorder, but since I do, I can suffer from strong cold pains below 45 F... Since then, I'm usually happy even when I'm steaming, sticky and even a tiny bit dizzy because it's better than feeling like my fingers are being stabbed.

If SAB also has a medical condition making him sensitive to cold, he would probably also appreciate feeling hot, even very hot. For myself, if it only just cool enough that I can function, I'm still happier than being cold.

*I understand most people around the world aren't particularly sensitive to cold;
Why else would people in places like Isreal or Iraq be able to make snowballs with their bare-hands during their once-in-a-century snowstorms
when I, a born and bred northerner, have trouble holding a "cold-drink" for more than a moment.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
That's very true, CC. Even though I've never been fond of the cold, the ole fibromyalgia and osteo-arthritis make me feel extra miserable in the wintertime. Health conditions can make a huge difference. I imagine there are others who have breathing conditions or skin conditions who find the hot weather extra unbearable, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather