Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:57 AM

653 posts, read 3,409,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
There's a foot of snow on Jacobs Field in Cleveland right now ...
And HEAVY snow and MORE COLD on tap for Wisconsin, tonight and tomorrow.
Spring weather in the midwest isn't even in the 10 -14 day long range forecast. Can't help but thinking MOST of the GOOD people back there are sick of it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
And HEAVY snow and MORE COLD on tap for Wisconsin, tonight and tomorrow.
Spring weather in the midwest isn't even in the 10 -14 day long range forecast. Can't help but thinking MOST of the GOOD people back there are sick of it!!
Depends on what you mean by spring weather...

The majority of our forecast is below 50 F, with our warmest day forecast at 59 F; still not warm enough for anything to come into bloom...

Old 04-10-2007, 11:28 AM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
And HEAVY snow and MORE COLD on tap for Wisconsin, tonight and tomorrow
That's funny, because the Indians moved their "home" series scheduled for today through Thursday to Milwaukee. I guess the players will have to slog through feet of snow to get to the dome ...

Old 04-10-2007, 01:19 PM

121 posts, read 536,228 times
Quote:
And having lived in Wisconsin, it wasn't only the cold--it was the amount of overcast/gray days too. Not only in the winter but very typical of April, October and especially November as well. I recall a string of 19 straight days of overcast, was in April of 98 or 99. Somewhere I saw an article on Beckley West Virginia-supposedly has the least amount of sunny days of anywhere in the nation. Actually the coldest days in Wisconin, during the winter months, it's often sunny.
This post cracked me up...

I'd like to throw the PNW (specifically Western Washington) into the argument. Let me sum it up by saying...the quote above references a month 8 years ago that had 19 stright days of overcast. I bet you couldn't find a year in the last 50 that we HAVEN'T had at least 20 days straight of overcast/drizzle. A few years ago we had a period where it rained every day for 100 days. In fact, you can pretty much count on overcast grey drizzly weather from Mid October to June...there are a few nice days in there every once in awhile...but a sunny day is a rarity. Then in the summer, sunny weather is certainly not a given. It has rained on many 4th of July's.

Sure, it doesn't get too cold, or too hot, but it's just overcast, grey and depressing far more often than not.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,054,934 times
--delete--

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-29-2007 at 12:15 AM..

Old 04-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's funny, because the Indians moved their "home" series scheduled for today through Thursday to Milwaukee. I guess the players will have to slog through feet of snow to get to the dome ...
Maybe--But the stadium in Milwaukee is awesome. And Warm!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Vee View Post
This post cracked me up...

I'd like to throw the PNW (specifically Western Washington) into the argument. Let me sum it up by saying...the quote above references a month 8 years ago that had 19 stright days of overcast. I bet you couldn't find a year in the last 50 that we HAVEN'T had at least 20 days straight of overcast/drizzle. A few years ago we had a period where it rained every day for 100 days. In fact, you can pretty much count on overcast grey drizzly weather from Mid October to June...there are a few nice days in there every once in awhile...but a sunny day is a rarity. Then in the summer, sunny weather is certainly not a given. It has rained on many 4th of July's.

Sure, it doesn't get too cold, or too hot, but it's just overcast, grey and depressing far more often than not.
I see. Yes, that may be depressing for some people indeed. I think WEATHER FACTORS are why the majority of people move here to Las Vegas/Henderson. Just about everyone I speak with who is from the Northeast or Midwest, say they would never go back. As much as I Loved Wisconsin, I will only go back there to visit. And only in the summer/early fall.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:01 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmlions View Post
Barrow, Alaska. Temps are consistantly below zero for the winter months and add in the weeks of total darkness and you have a pretty bad mix.
For the lower 48 it'd have to be the UP of Michigan, they get tons of snow every year and the blistering Canadian air makes it tough in the winter even for the hardiest of souls.
I'd have to co-sign on that.

In general, I'm not very fond of extremes, whether it be extremely humid, scorching dry heat (although that's more tolerable to be than excessive humidity), constant grey and rain, 100 inches of snow a year, etc. I think anyplace that has "extreme" weather like this for much of the year would be off-limits for me which is why most likely parts of Alaska, cold, dark, grey and snowy for a good chunk of the year, would be my nightmare.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,990 times
Default North Dakota

With 8 months of winter, feet upon feet of snow and temps dipping and steadying at minus 20-60 degrees below zero, a couple weeks of the year of warm weather and mostly brown/gray landscape, lately dodging tornadoes and high winds in general (in the summer seasons), I'd honestly have to say North Dakota.

For most, this is a BAD climate, but being born and raised in this weather, it doesn't really affect me. It's April 10th in Northern ND and we have snow and you CANNOT go outside without your parka! Our high today was 39 degrees I believe...

Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
With 8 months of winter, feet upon feet of snow and temps dipping and steadying at minus 20-60 degrees below zero, a couple weeks of the year of warm weather and mostly brown/gray landscape, lately dodging tornadoes and high winds in general (in the summer seasons), I'd honestly have to say North Dakota.

For most, this is a BAD climate, but being born and raised in this weather, it doesn't really affect me. It's April 10th in Northern ND and we have snow and you CANNOT go outside without your parka! Our high today was 39 degrees I believe...
Oh, they are calling for warm weather tomorrow ...they said 40 degrees!!! WHOOHOOO....summer's here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather