Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,900,317 times

Advertisements

Humidity in Sydney is not crippling. And when temps reach the high 90's in Sydney, it is always when there are strong dry west/northwesterly winds blowing, straight from the desert which creates low humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,506,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow I used to think that the florida heat was bad guess we are lucky for the rainy season huh ? it helps to keep the temps down .
Florida is way worse. You can be out comfortably in the morning, evening, and even a good portion of the rest of the day when in the shade in AZ. You don't drip from humidity like you do in FL. I'd take 120 in AZ over 90 in FL any day of the week!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
110 or even 115 mean nothing in May or June when it's dry. Once it gets over 100 it doesn't make any difference. Over 100 during the monsoons is what is disgusting and it never used to happen since I live here. That's exactly what we're having fun with right now, though! Even so, I’ll always take heat over freeze.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,625,905 times
I'll take the cooler than normal summer we're having, thank you very much! Florida or Arizona don't appeal to me, no matter what time of year it is, great to visit would never, ever live in either place!

Old 07-18-2009, 01:51 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm a weather spy. I always look at the world temp's for places I've visited in the world, various times of the year. Been to Sydney, and you don't think those high summer temp's in the 90's there have escaped me, along with your crippling humidity?

High 90's with high humidity in Sydney in January (your summer)? With that, us desert rats accustomed to our low humidity levels would keel over down there with those sky-high heat indices.

East Coast of Australia translates to East Coast of the U.S. West Coast Australia translates to our West Coast U.S., as far as weather.

Same with South America. The drier west coast vs. the more humid east coast.
Fair enough, I totally see your point.

You’re right, the humidity here, coupled with minimums of 20 – 21 + degrees and a NE wind, is really awful in the summer, sometimes it’s even more humid here in the mornings than in Brisbane!

The problem is the humid NE wind which often starts to blow in around mid morning and gets quite strong in the afternoon but come sunset, drops rapidly and the humidity often rises to over 80 - 90% and continues to do so until the next day where the same cycle is repeated. Early mornings are the worst as there is no wind and humidity/sweat just drenches you everywhere the minute you step outside. December to March is usually the worst time especially January and March. If it's raining, it's bearable. If it's sunny then it is not.

I remember one February day some years back when the minimum was 21oC with 95% humidity, we attended a picnic in a park, it was overcast all day and no wind, yet the top temperature that day was 31oC, it was just awful, people got quite sick and some had to be taken to hospital as the humidity was really oppressive and stifling. Later on I heard humidity levels had stayed at nearly 100% all day.

However on the other hand when it gets over 32oC here, it is usually accompanied by a hot (especially when the sun is shining) and dry (read: blowtorch) north-westerly wind blowing from the interior, usually happens when there is a cold front approaching from the south, which can be quite suffocating. The 44 – 45oC day we had here on NYD 2006 was awful, it was just too hot to do anything. All outside public spaces were nearly void of people and all “inside” air conditioned places were full of teeming masses of people. Even plants/trees got their edges burnt.

Usually after a cold (commonly known as a southerly burster or buster, they can bring gusts of 75km/hr - 100km/hr, thunderstorms and temperatures often fall 20oC in the space of a few minutes) front has swept through, the next two or 3 days is often overcast, cool and sometimes with heavy rain or showers which can be so refreshing.

Another problem is sometimes dry NW winds will blow in the morning and humid NE winds will blow in during the afternoons, to have a combination of those two can bring quite torrid conditions especially at night and in the mornings.

When I said 46oC, yuk, that’s too hot etc, I was actually thinking of the hot blowtorch wind and also that you seem to get over triple digits everyday. I could not handle that. My idea temperature outside is 25oC with no humidity and no hot wind too.

When it gets to triple digits in your part of the world, do you get hot winds as well?

Old 07-18-2009, 06:40 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
I usually don't "prefer" low 20's C...
But but with 80-100% humidity, no wind and HOT sunshine, I can't complain.

*That's because 21 C (70 F) with 80-100% humidity, no wind and hot sun for me makes it feel more like 35 C, or 95 F.

**Living in Canada, it's tiring "needing to bundle up all the time"...
it's a nice change when I get to think about needing to cool down a little.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:21 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Fair enough, I totally see your point.

You’re right, the humidity here, coupled with minimums of 20 – 21 + degrees and a NE wind, is really awful in the summer, sometimes it’s even more humid here in the mornings than in Brisbane!

The problem is the humid NE wind which often starts to blow in around mid morning

Usually after a cold (commonly known as a southerly burster or buster, they can bring gusts of 75km/hr - 100km/hr, thunderstorms and temperatures often fall 20oC in the space of a few minutes) front has swept through, the next two or 3 days is often overcast, cool and sometimes with heavy rain or showers which can be so refreshing.

Another problem is sometimes dry NW winds will blow in the morning and humid NE winds will blow in during the afternoons, to have a combination of those two can bring quite torrid conditions especially at night and in the mornings.

When it gets to triple digits in your part of the world, do you get hot winds as well?
I got on Trip Planner/Weather Underground.com and put in dates for middle of winter and middle of summer, and I see you do get lots of winds down there, but I wasn't sure which direction the winds came from. Now I know.

I would expect some mercurial weather, being, temperatures can zoom up and crash, which we don't experience in the desert here. We do a slow descension in temp's into winter and a gentle rise in temp's from winter to summer. Totally unlike the Central Plains states which are the worst for that.
Denver comes to mind. It can be 75 one day, and drop 40 degees the next day and vice versa. Very hard on the body.

We can get wind here in summer as well, one summer the winds were clocked at 80MPH on the Las Vegas Strip, blowing sand in from the desert. During some of these high winds, I've seen plastic swimming pools empty of water, even, airlifted from someone's backyard and flying through the air!

I see you also have wind in winter. Now when it gets down to the low 40's in July there, with some strong winds, and factoring in windchill, I'll bet it gets mighty mighty cold. Just like Las Vegas, except we're never protected by a layer of clouds/humidity to soften the blows. You may see a winter Las Vegas nightime temp of 35, and with no humidity, and winds blasts thru the valley, we have windchill of below zero! Brrrrrrr!

Numerical temp's can be so meaningless!

I do know from my weather studies that, generally, the east coast's of a continent are more humid than the west coast's. I love the dry western coastal areas of South America and I would probably love the western coast of Australia around Perth. Any future trip to Australia will be to the Western point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather