Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times

Advertisements

Rijeka and Split are indeed very underrated.

Others include Romania, Moldova, Croatia as a whole, Serbia, Slovenia, Bosnia and southern Ukraine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,004,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
^^ Average temps on Mars are actually closer to -60C.

The global record high is 20C (68F) and record low -140C.

Not conductive to human life I'm afraid.
I know this is an old post, but I'll respond. -60C is dangerous cold, but it is quite survivable. Some villagers in Siberia experience those temperatures at least once per season, and they survive and arguably thrive. The climate, though hostile, doesn't present nearly as much of an obstacle to human life as the poisonous and very thin atmosphere, and the unfiltered solar radiation.

As for underrated climates, I personally would nominate Kamchatka. Most of Kamchatka has a very nice climate for someone like me. Winter average temperatures are good throughout the region, and summers run mild to warm. There's plenty of snow, plus storms that come off the ocean make things very interesting (such as heavy one-night accumulations). There's also low levels of sunshine. In one "bracket tournament" I did, Ust'Kamchatsk took the prize for the best climate on Earth. Underrated? You betcha.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:09 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,790,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Rijeka and Split are indeed very underrated.

Others include Romania, Moldova, Croatia as a whole, Serbia, Slovenia, Bosnia and southern Ukraine.
Shkodër and Tirana Albania as well as Podgorica Montenegro also are underrated climates. They have hot summers and cool wet winters which I like.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,797,392 times
Not so much "underrated" as "overlooked", to my eyes, the Atlantic seaboard of south America, say from roughly Mar del Plata to Sao Luis, provide a broad range of subtropical and tropical climates far superior to their north American equivalents. Fewer extreme cold events, less intense summer heat events, and best of all, no hurricanes.

In general, I feel that Africa and South America are cliched as being all tropical forest, the Middle East all desert, which really underestimates the large variety of climates in these areas.

For snow lovers, I don't think the enormity of west coast Hokkaido's winters are widely enough known.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,940,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Not so much "underrated" as "overlooked", to my eyes, the Atlantic seaboard of south America, say from roughly Mar del Plata to Sao Luis, provide a broad range of subtropical and tropical climates far superior to their north American equivalents. Fewer extreme cold events, less intense summer heat events, and best of all, no hurricanes.

In general, I feel that Africa and South America are cliched as being all tropical forest, the Middle East all desert, which really underestimates the large variety of climates in these areas.

For snow lovers, I don't think the enormity of west coast Hokkaido's winters are widely enough known.

Places like Uruguay look great. Punta Del Diablo looks very nice temp wise.

I like how cold events are very rare. The only thing I don't like is the cool ocean temps compared to the southeast USA coast, however that does prevent major hurricanes.

Average Weather For Maldonado, Uruguay - WeatherSpark

Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,660,941 times
I'd go as far to say London is an underrated climate, but only because so many people hear the name and think it must be an automatic F-.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Northwest Spain and northern Portugal might be another overlooked climate. England has some pleasant temperatures, particularly in the south, but at the same time some of its negative reputation is well-deserved.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:03 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Northwest Spain and northern Portugal might be another overlooked climate. England has some pleasant temperatures, particularly in the south, but at the same time some of its negative reputation is well-deserved.
Like Vigo or La Coruña? Terrible gloomy, rainy climate.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,388,854 times
^^^More Northwestern Spain.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,790,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I'd go as far to say London is an underrated climate, but only because so many people hear the name and think it must be an automatic F-.
Compare to a good chunk of North America London is underratted. It gets little snow at least up until the last year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather