Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Brave? I wouldn't go that far.
I'd say more likely able to put up with A LOT of climate-BS...
but I don't really have much of a choice.

I'm acclimtated to 65+ F, btw.
(my car heat almost never turns off )
Have you ever thought of emigrating South of the border? I would think that it wouldn't be too much of a feat for our friends in Canada.

We'd certainly welcome you in Texas!

BTW, GO CANADA in the Olympics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Have you ever thought of emigrating South of the border?
I would think that it wouldn't be too much of a feat for our friends in Canada.

We'd certainly welcome you in Texas!

Have I ever thought about it? Surely you jest!
Most of my life it's been at least in the back of my mind.
Actually the USA is one of the hardest countries in the World to legally immigrate to.
Because of this I may leave North America, mostly to live where it isn't cold.
Moving overseas would be a bit of a pain though...
For Canadians without university degrees,
are in the category of "performers or religious workers"
or aren't married to Americans, almost impossible, generally speaking.
Canadian's used to be eligible for the "Green Card Lottery",
but they changed the name to "Diversity Visa"...
keeping in line with the new name for this lottery
Canadians are ineligible to enter because "too many Canadians already live in the USA"

And Texas would coicidentally be one of the best parts of the USA for my field of work.
I certainly have no issues with Texas's average temps, or Texas heatwaves.

*All that said, yes it's neat to see people from my own country compete,
and I would prefer to see Canadians win; nothing wrong with a little "healthy-rivalry" imho.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-15-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 06:53 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Have I ever thought about it? Surely you jest!
Most of my life it's been at least in the back of my mind.
Actually the USA is one of the hardest countries in the World to legally immigrate to.
Because of this I may leave North America, mostly to live where it isn't cold.
Moving overseas would be a bit of a pain though...
For Canadians without university degrees,
are in the category of "performers or religious workers"
or aren't married to Americans, almost impossible, generally speaking.
Canadian's used to be eligible for the "Green Card Lottery",
but they changed the name to "Diversity Visa"...
keeping in line with the new name for this lottery
Canadians are ineligible to enter because "too many Canadians already live in the USA"

And Texas would be one of the best parts of the USA for my field of work.
I certainly have no issues with Texas's average temps, or Texas heatwaves.

*All that said, yes it's neat to see people from my own country compete,
and I would prefer to see Canadians win; nothing wrong with a little "healthy-rivalry" imho.
Nothing wrong with a little healthy rivalry at all my friend. Not a thing. I've met many Canadians here in the US and when I have spent time in Calgary and have never met a Canuck that I didn't like. I can't understand why it would be so hard for a Canadian to emigrate to the U.S., but having no experience in that area, I will defer to your knowledge.

I DO hope that you get to where it is warm. We'd certainly welcome you here in Texas, heat waves and all, lol. If you ever want to DM me with questions about visas and such, I'll do my best to answer with the limited knowledge in that area that I have.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I can't understand why it would be so hard for a Canadian to emigrate to the U.S., but having no experience in that area, I will defer to your knowledge.

I DO hope that you get to where it is warm. We'd certainly welcome you here in Texas, heat waves and all, lol. If you ever want to DM me with questions about visas and such, I'll do my best to answer with the limited knowledge in that area that I have.
Canadians who don't "excel" in certain areas are generally unwanted as new immigrants to the USA; simple as that.
(excluding a large chunk of "average" Canadians, skilled or otherwise )

Thanks.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Quote:
Right before the opening ceremony, NBC had a good mini profile about Canada, talking about it's history and it's people. Very interesting. They also had some of the most breathtaking shots of Canada's landscape and scenery - snow capped mountains and coniferous forests. A very beautiful place, British Columbia especially. It's climate may be lacking if you are a heat lover but no place has it all.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:06 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
Was a fantastic storm...I was driving home and had to drive directly into it and yes it is much needed rain.
Seems like Sydney copped their storm yeterday after a very hot day (1st day over 30 ºC this month) but you guys got twice as much rain. Not sure if that much rain is good all at once.
Believe me, all that rain is a godsend especially in a El Nino pattern! Currently at 239 mm MTD (western areas where catchment areas are located) over 300 - 500 mm, excellent for our dams . Wettest ever month since February 2008. That storm on Friday night dumped up to 70 - 100 mm mainly in the north and east of the urban area with much flash flooding - very welcome of course. Not only that, we've had regular rains on top so turning out to be a great month so far. Everything is so green.

I see Melbourne has now exceeded it's average, nevermind most of the rain falling in that Thursday evening storm, which is good but doesn't do the catchment areas justice

Old 02-16-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
Was a fantastic storm...I was driving home and had to drive directly into it and yes it is much needed rain.
Seems like Sydney copped their storm yeterday after a very hot day (1st day over 30 ºC this month) but you guys got twice as much rain. Not sure if that much rain is good all at once.
In other - far flung but relevant news, Brisbane City today got pummelled by severe midday storms, 100 mm falling in the space of an hour or 2, see link: News | Breaking News from Brisbane and Queensland | The Courier-Mail for stories/photos.

Seems like the further north, the more heavier the rain is!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 AM

Running MTD values (ending 15th):

Melbourne: 18.7oC
29.2oC
57.8 mm rain
107.0 hours sun

Sydney: 21.8oC (which is why I complain endlessly about the
humid minimums!)
27.7oC
239 mm of rain
82.7 hours of sun

Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Right before the opening ceremony, NBC had a good mini profile about Canada, talking about it's history and it's people. Very interesting. They also had some of the most breathtaking shots of Canada's landscape and scenery - snow capped mountains and coniferous forests. A very beautiful place, British Columbia especially. I

t's climate may be lacking if you are a heat lover but no place has it all.
Indeed it is pretty,
but a lot of the more remote wilderness areas are colder than here,
and I already find Toronto 6-8 months of the year painfully-cold.

Being a heat-lover, our cold is just a "disappointment."
But the risk of pain is beyong disappointment, imho.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 AM

[mod cut]

Best place to compare if Melbourne really is warmer not because of heat island is comparing observations
from an area that remained rural, not too far from Melbourne, but far enough to remain away from urbanization say 20+ km.
(to see how southern Victoria itself has done over the past 100 years )

Last edited by debey; 02-16-2010 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather