Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I guess the difference is your average is "nice," but 12 F lower at 48 F is lousy.
Exactly, at 60 I can wear shorts and a t-shirt and be comfortable (with sunny conditions or little wind) but at 48 I would be very cold. At 18, I would be wearing the same stuff I wear at 30.

Edit: It's actually 48 right now and doesn't feel bad compared to the past two days. But I'm in pants and a long sleeve shirt. And it's sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Exactly, at 60 I can wear shorts and a t-shirt and be comfortable (with sunny conditions or little wind) but at 48 I would be very cold. At 18, I would be wearing the same stuff I wear at 30.
^^ Lucky. We don't see avg highs of 60+ F until 2nd week of May.

Today hasn't been so good to me.
Long walk with an old dog who stood still a lot, moving too slow when in motion.
(near-impossible to increase my heartrate )
Temp was -2 C (28 F) with 30 km/h (18 mph?) winds, 74% humidity and dull, overcast-skies.
After 10-15 minutes my fingers had no warmth inside my "thinsulate" gloves
and for the next 10-15 minutes pain in my fingertips; the cold was really kicking my butt.
A walk on a day with a 46 C (115 F) heat index would have been easier to handle.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-14-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 02:16 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
A walk on a day with a 46 C (115 F) heat index would have been easier to handle.
I agree. The front's moving through here now. The wind is biting cold and quite gusty at times. Snow north of us in Oklahoma, moving this way... Grrrrr....

Old 02-14-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
^^ Lucky. We don't see avg highs of 60+ F until 2nd week of May.
Here's our averages from the Weather Channel. Avg high of 60 starts Feb. 22 and ends November 28. I just wish it lasted even longer.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Here's our averages from the Weather Channel. Avg high of 60 starts Feb. 22 and ends November 28. I just wish it lasted even longer.
Kinda makes me wish the American Revolution didn't succeed;
that way there'd only be one English speaking country in North America.
(I know Georgia is nice, I've actually seen a lot of the southeastern US )

Looking at your averages, Snellville is a part of "Middle Georgia"?

Old 02-14-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Looking at your averages, Snellville is a part of "Middle Georgia"?
Not quite. It's still part of North Georgia east of Atlanta. It is one of the warmer areas of metro Atlanta though (by one or two degrees). Middle Georgia (Columbus, Macon, etc.) has average Jan highs in the mid to upper 50s while South Georgia and the Coast have Jan highs in the low 60s.

The main differences in temperature have to do with the geography. You have the Piedmont and mountains in North Georgia with the Fall Line cutting through Middle Georgia and South Georgia is all about the Coastal Plain.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:26 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
This would be representative of "normal" winters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0id9f...eature=related
*An extreme example of how "all-season tires" without much tread left would work here.
Lol that was funny. We're supposed to get 2-4" on top of what didn't melt yet.

Two more weeks to the start of Meteorological Spring. Our average high now is about 44F, keep inching closer and closer out of this Winter Wasteland.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Lol that was funny. We're supposed to get 2-4" on top of what didn't melt yet.

Two more weeks to the start of Meteorological Spring. Our average high now is about 44F,
keep inching closer and closer out of this Winter Wasteland.
Lol.

Our average high for today is still 29 F. (-1.5 C)
But at least with your averages, the snow "shouldn't" be sticking around for much longer.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:54 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Lol.

Our average high for today is still 29 F. (-1.5 C)
But at least with your averages, the snow "shouldn't" be sticking around for much longer.
You're a brave and hearty soul CC! I guess you acclimate to such a climate, but I'm too old to be acclimating to anything these days. I just want some nice, decent warm temperatures, which seem to be eluding us although to you our temps here would be a heatwave of sorts, lol.. It's 42 here, going down into the mid 20s for lows, which isn't too bad at all, and we had sunshine all day. Thursday it's supposed to get up to 61!!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
You're a brave and hearty soul CC! I guess you acclimate to such a climate, but I'm too old to be acclimating to anything these days. I just want some nice, decent warm temperatures, which seem to be eluding us although to you our temps here would be a heatwave of sorts, lol.. It's 42 here, going down into the mid 20s for lows, which isn't too bad at all, and we had sunshine all day. Thursday it's supposed to get up to 61!!!!
Brave? I wouldn't go that far.
I'd say more likely able to put up with A LOT of climate-B.S.
but I don't really have much of a choice, at the moment.

I'm acclimtated to 65+ F, btw.
(my car heat almost never turns off )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather