Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 11:20 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times

Advertisements

El Niño can be thanked for giving Phoenix 2.43 inches of rain in January, and 1.36 inches in February ... and adding those two figures would amount to more rain just in the first two months of this year than we had all of last year! Of course, 2009's scant rainfall wasn't exactly normal, being that it was one of the driest years on record.

This is not really a typical El Niño winter, however. Most El Niño winters bring us rain about every other day for about a week or two, then a short period of clear, mild weather before the next round of rain moves in. This year, we are getting quite a bit of rain thus far, but it's only about once a week ... and the rain that does fall seems to be on the heavy side. The heavier rains are typical of El Niño in this part of the world, but the storms are more infrequent. Overall, it's more of a mild El Niño so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Damn, here in Buxton we ain't seeing those kinds of temperatures for maybe the entire month It's going down to about -9C / 16F here tonight. For real.
Wow you guys over in UK/Europe have had a ridiculously cold winter this year.. -9C in March must be close to a record for you guys. Even here in Vancouver, it would be close to a record if not a record. Let's hope it warms up soon for you guys.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Damn, here in Buxton we ain't seeing those kinds of temperatures for maybe the entire month It's going down to about -9C / 16F here tonight. For real.
Here it went down to only 42°F, I wonder what's going on with England's weather. Buxton should be on par with NYC in March. Hopefully the warmth spreads East to Europe (if that's possible).

Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,020,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Here it went down to only 42°F, I wonder what's going on with England's weather. Buxton should be on par with NYC in March. Hopefully the warmth spreads East to Europe (if that's possible).
The very low temperatures recently were caused by a high pressure system dragging continental air from siberia under clear skies letting it get very cold at night. Buxton Derbyshire is elevated by some 1,100ft above the rest of England so averages temperatures 2-3 Celsius lower than most of England. Back in March 2006 it managed to get down to about -8C.

But the fact is most people here have to be getting bored of the very prolonged cold after our coldest winter for 31 years. The sad fact is there is no end in sight so far on any of the models either.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Talking FLAWLESS winter day!!!

High of 13 C/56 F
Relative humidity of 33%
Completely cloudless skies
UV of 4

If only the "coldest" month of the year had averages like this,
I would be very-pleased with a "4-season" climate.
Toronto's summer is typically fabulous,
but it would make a better "spring" and "autumn," imho.
(disappointing as a summer sometimes )

Old 03-08-2010, 01:16 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
High of 13 C/56 F
Relative humidity of 33%
Completely cloudless skies
UV of 4

If only the "coldest" month of the year had averages like this,
I would be very-pleased with a "4-season" climate.
Toronto's summer is typically fabulous,
but it would make a better "spring" and "autumn," imho.
(disappointing as a summer sometimes )
Here the average high for January is 52 so not quite as warm as you'd like but spring's warm-up is usually quick. Feb's high is 58 and then 66 for March. December is 55. Spring and autumn (or fall) are the best seasons here. 66 for March, 74 for April and 82 for May. June July and August are pretty hot but the humidity starts to leave in September and we get a wonderful avg high of 84 and low of 62. October's high is 74 and November's high is 64 which at the time always seems a little cool. Fall is also the driest time of the year. So I think we have the Springs and Falls you're looking for.

My sister's boyfriend is from Toronto and is coming down for a week or two. Fortunately it's 72 degrees right now. Believe or not, last year at this time it got to 81 two days in a row. Just a week and a day after 3 inches of snow.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Here the average high for January is 52 so not quite as warm as you'd like but spring's warm-up is usually quick. Feb's high is 58 and then 66 for March. December is 55. Spring and autumn (or fall) are the best seasons here. 66 for March, 74 for April and 82 for May. June July and August are pretty hot but the humidity starts to leave in September and we get a wonderful avg high of 84 and low of 62. October's high is 74 and November's high is 64 which at the time always seems a little cool. Fall is also the driest time of the year. So I think we have the Springs and Falls you're looking for.

My sister's boyfriend is from Toronto and is coming down for a week or two. Fortunately it's 72 degrees right now. Believe or not, last year at this time it got to 81 two days in a row. Just a week and a day after 3 inches of snow.
As I mentioned in other posts, I recently visited the Birmingham AL area in mid-November.
For a non-winter month, I did not like the temps at sunset and I was usually cold until 8-9 am. (sunrise about 6:30 am)
Since I know I dislike their November weather, I figured I'd hate their winter.
I also visited the Gulf area, (LA, MS, AL) and anywhere less than 2 hours of the coast felt "mild enough" however.
I probably would have been impressed if I had experienced the same conditions, but in January.
Isn't where you live about the same climate as Birmingham?

Glad to hear you are happy too now.
72 F is an awesome daytime high... when it's not summer.

Your spring warm-up may seem quick to you, but it just looks "early" to me:
Toronto: Jan 28 F, Feb 30 F, Mar 39 F, Apr 52 F, May 65 F, Jun 75, Jul 80 F
Snellville has about 8 F between each spring month but
Toronto has about 13 F between each spring month

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-08-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 03:36 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
As I mentioned in other posts, I recently visited the Birmingham AL area in mid-November.
For a non-winter month, I did not like the temps at sunset and I was usually cold until 8-9 am. (sunrise about 6:30 am)
Since I know I dislike their November weather, I figured I'd hate their winter.
I also visited the Gulf area, (LA, MS, AL) and anywhere less than 2 hours of the coast felt "mild enough" however.
I probably would have been impressed if I had experienced the same conditions, but in January.
Isn't where you live about the same climate as Birmingham?
Well November is awfully close to winter. But I must admit despite the nice daytime temperatures, there usually isn't much warmth after sunset. But it's still enough for me. Depending on the winter, you can experience some nice winter temperatures. For 2007, 08 and 09, we got to 70 at least once in January. We even had a low of 60 last year in January. And yes for the most part the climate of Atlanta and B-Ham is the same. Of course the higher elevations of both areas will have cooler temperatures. (I wonder if the fact that it was November and after summer that made the temperatures feel so cool. Maybe if it was early March after winter you would have liked them a little more.)

And I must've used quick as an incorrect synonym for early.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Well November is awfully close to winter. But I must admit despite the nice daytime temperatures, there usually isn't much warmth after sunset. But it's still enough for me. Depending on the winter, you can experience some nice winter temperatures. For 2007, 08 and 09, we got to 70 at least once in January. We even had a low of 60 last year in January. And yes for the most part the climate of Atlanta and B-Ham is the same. Of course the higher elevations of both areas will have cooler temperatures. (I wonder if the fact that it was November and after summer that made the temperatures feel so cool. Maybe if it was early March after winter you would have liked them a little more.)

And I must've used quick as an incorrect synonym for early.
Actually I'd just spent 2.5 weeks between South Lousiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Birmingham was on my way back home, and I stopped to visit a friend from the internet. (not a City-Data member though)
In Toronto, November is a lot milder than March on paper, (44/30 F vs. 39/24 F)
but feels about the same due to being used to summer for Nov, and being used to winter for Mar.
I also heard tales that in the southeast, (NC/SC only?) it gets cold after Thanksgiving; I was only there till the 15th.
That's why I was unimpressed.

No worries, I knew what you meant.
I was being picky, and hoping it would sound funny.
Now if it truely did heat up as quick as Toronto, that would be impressive!
Sample for Snellville, GA using Toronto's monthly increases:

Feb 58 F
Mar + 9 F = 67 F
Apr + 13 F = 80 F
May + 13 F = 93 F
Jun + 10 F = 103 F
Jul + 5 F = 108 F

Old 03-08-2010, 03:57 PM

Default FLAWLESS winter day, part 2

I just noticed that our thermostat says it's 74 F (23 C) inside,
and our heat is set to come on at 72 F. (22 C)
Our thermostat is located far enough away from the windows it wouldn't get false readings.
This is the first time this "winter" that this has happened.

So we had 2 F/1 C of "free heating" today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather