Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:22 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
So I was lucky enough to experience Vancouver's warmest weather so far in 2010, during my April visit?
Yes, you had great weather on the whole while you were here. There were a few iffy days but overall, you lucked out. The last two days here have been a bit warmer and definitely sunnier than the past while which is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Are you a gardener perhaps?
Partly so. I just hate having to water my plants during what's normally the wettest time of the year (not to mention the dust!). And I get very depressed when I don't see/hear rain. Rain, to me, lifts my mood, like fingers drumming on pianos. When I was little, I always liked to spend rainy days outdoors, playing in the gutters and exploring flooded areas (not that I experienced that very often here, apart from my time in New Zealand).

I used to have real battles with my parents when I was little, as they would try to drag me indoors from the rain (or from the beach for that matter too), I ended up staying out all day, my brothers and sister would get blue quite quickly and quickly scurry indoors - not me LOL.

I guess one could call me a "water baby"

Old 05-11-2010, 04:05 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
I'm enjoying the end-phase of the El Nino - as was the case at the same time in 2007. A rather dry, sunny autumn overall, very pleasant. A dry period is doing our area no harm, as 3 of the last 5 years had well above average rainfall and water tables are OK. The 30-year average to 2010 will be lower than for several decades though, as 1981-2009 has averaged 1205mm (longterm 1245mm).

Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I'm enjoying the end-phase of the El Nino - as was the case at the same time in 2007. A rather dry, sunny autumn overall, very pleasant. A dry period is doing our area no harm, as 3 of the last 5 years had well above average rainfall and water tables are OK. The 30-year average to 2010 will be lower than for several decades though, as 1981-2009 has averaged 1205mm (longterm 1245mm).
Interesting. April didn't bring you much sunshine did it? Should hear all the complaints from Waikato northwards, complaining about the lack of "good" rainfalls.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:41 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Partly so. I just hate having to water my plants during what's normally the wettest time of the year (not to mention the dust!). And I get very depressed when I don't see/hear rain. Rain, to me, lifts my mood, like fingers drumming on pianos. When I was little, I always liked to spend rainy days outdoors, playing in the gutters and exploring flooded areas (not that I experienced that very often here, apart from my time in New Zealand).

I used to have real battles with my parents when I was little, as they would try to drag me indoors from the rain (or from the beach for that matter too), I ended up staying out all day, my brothers and sister would get blue quite quickly and quickly scurry indoors - not me LOL.

I don't mind the really heavy rain, provided it is over quickly. My grandparents had a farm on the west coast of the South Island of NZ. Their house had corrugated iron roofing and the rain was quite intense on the roof at night and would put me to sleep (the sound was amazing).

But after years of living in rainy (and cold) climates, I prefer warmth and sun. Part of this could be I love the rich colours that late afternoon sunshine bring (lifts my mood) whereas grey cold days depress me.

Unlike yourself, I am enjoying this El Nino but am hoping I can adjust when it eventually dissipates....

Old 05-11-2010, 07:20 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I think El Nino this year is a good thing, looking at the farms around here! They were able to plow their fields way early and on a bus trip to Iowa last week you could see things coming up already!

My perennials are about 3 wks. ahead of last year and they look great! Its been fun because I moved about 60 plants last year, created a new flower bed for all the stuff a previous owner had too close to the house foundation. Sorry a little off topic maybe.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:21 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:

Interesting story.

I sometimes liked playing in the rain too, but often rain means cold.
I really like playing in the rain after a summer sunshower though.

They would turn blue and you didn't?
Do you have better circulation/cold-tolerance than your siblings?

Did you know that 24% of Tasmania's land is covered by water?
Even Ontario has only about 15% of our land area as water.
Sounds like the place for you.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Interesting. April didn't bring you much sunshine did it? Should hear all the complaints from Waikato northwards, complaining about the lack of "good" rainfalls.
April was only a tad above average sun, but March has a surplus of about 50-55 hours on the longterm average. Those in the north will not get major rain relief for a while I think.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
But after years of living in rainy (and cold) climates, I prefer warmth and sun. Part of this could be I love the rich colours that late afternoon sunshine bring (lifts my mood) whereas grey cold days depress me.

Unlike yourself, I am enjoying this El Nino but am hoping I can adjust when it eventually dissipates....
I agree, especially about afternoon sunshine. A blue-dome day is still my favourite kind, though a few other types are close behind. I dislike runs of dull days.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Quote:

I don't care for rain. I prefer not to be soaked and freezing cold and wet with my shoes soaking thru and making life hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather