Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 PM

15 posts, read 13,072 times

Advertisements

Girls, as to engaement rings, do you care about the size? I think the size is not an issue, as long as it fits your finger, right? But my gf don't think so. Moderator cut: link Who knows, she said it not big enough. And she even implied the size is sort of matters.. If I don't get a good ring- then what does that say for the rest of the relationship or marriage... It predicts bad things! I'm so confused now. So, what's your opinion?

Last edited by Keeper; 03-15-2011 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
The rule is to save 3 months of salary (before taxes).

If what you earn is something the size of 5,000 that's what she gets.

If you earn 20,000 per month then something that costs 60,000 is what she gets.

To be honest, every woman doesn't want an engagement ring, it's just not important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engagement_ring

Still, the ring you posted is nice, and if you're not Donald Trump she should be happy to get that.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:28 PM

343 posts, read 524,269 times
I think she's talking about the size of the diamond not the ring. I'd rather have a smaller, better quality diamond than a large lousy one. If you're young and don't have much money, that's a pretty nice ring. Keep your money for a house or for savings, don't spend so much on rings & weddings.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,645,401 times
So I hear that the clarity is more important than size to quality oriented gals?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 PM

98 posts, read 189,177 times
I actually really like the ring you picked out. When I got engaged, my guy let me pick my own ring out. It was very similar to that one. He knew that my taste in jewelry was very picky. I don't like "gaudy" or very simple either so he felt he was better off letting me pick. My ring wasn't but a few hundred dollars more than that one, but that was after tax and insurance. I was thrilled!

I know they say you should spend 3 months worth of salary on an engagement ring but I don't feel that's important. I think if you find something you both like, and it happens to be cheaper, it's a win win.

Maybe, being from the south, we're taught not to look a gift horse in the mouth and appreciate anything we get from people. Not saying your girl is a bad person but she shouldn't worry so much about the ring as much as she should be excited you actually want to marry her. With as many guys out there who are afraid of commitment, she's a very lucky lady!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
The ring you picked out is lovely. It isn't the size, price or clarity that matters, it's the love that went into it and the intent. I personally did not want an engagement ring with my first or current husband. I felt that the money could be used for more important things, like setting up a home. But I am not overly fond of jewelry any way. I far prefer a good book or two

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Women's ring size is usually the same as their shoe size. Size 6 shoe size 6 ring, normally. You do not want to give a ring too large or too small. Reminds me of high school girls wearing their boyfriends ring with a layer of yarn or on a chain.

As far as stones many women are embracing other gems instead of diamonds.

My wife and I have matching titanium rings, no stones.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:28 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
No. I care about the amount of effort and thought that was put into choosing something (a design/stone/setting etc) that I would like.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:38 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
If I have learned anything in life it is this: It doesn't matter what a woman tells you, size always matters.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:50 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona;18213775[B
]Women's ring size is usually the same as their shoe size. Size 6 shoe size 6 ring, normally.[/b] You do not want to give a ring too large or too small. Reminds me of high school girls wearing their boyfriends ring with a layer of yarn or on a chain.

As far as stones many women are embracing other gems instead of diamonds.

My wife and I have matching titanium rings, no stones.
I don't think so. Never heard such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings