Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
I'm considering getting an engagement ring that is less than what she (and I) would like, and upgrading it in the near future. I'm considering:

1) A small diamond (1/2 carat or so). Maybe adding another small one the next year, and then the year after make a 3-stone ring with both those diamonds and a 1 carat or so in the middle.

2) A moissonite / amora / other fake diamond of about 1 carat and replacing it with a real one of the same size in about a year.

3) A sapphire ring. She loves the color blue, and it happens to be her birthstone as well. I could then use the stone alongside a diamond in the future, either with another saphire beside it, or my birthstone.

Ladies, what would you think if your boyfriend proposed to you with one of these scenarios? I know it's more about what she thinks, but she's hard to read. She's outright said that it's the commitment and stability that matter the most to her, but she often feels differently than what she says. Not even her siblings or parents can figure her out most of the time (going down that road already got me in trouble in the past).

*Background as to why I'm considering this*

I love my girlfriend very much and want to spend the rest of my life with her. I know she feels the same way about me as well because she made that known in a very unsubtle way. I'd like to propose before Christmas. Now here's where the hard part (for me) comes in: we recently found out that she's pregnant , and we've also decided that the area we moved to in January is one that we'd like to stay in permanently. So we'd like to buy a house before the interest rates and housing prices increase much higher - that was the plan when we moved here in the first place - and also before the baby comes (I can't imagine the nightmare of moving with a newborn).

So that's 3 major expenses coming up in a very short time, not to mention Christmas, which involves over $1k of travel expenses on top of the gifts. She has no real income to speak of right now, so everything comes entirely out of my pocket. Additionally, I'm trying to get my credit score as high as I can so that I can get the best mortgage possible (it's around 750 right now). I could buy her the ring I want, but either the money would come out of the house down payment, or it would impact my credit rating.

I feel bad about skimping on anything. I have some reasonable savings, but don't think that I can go full-board on a $7000 engagement ring, plus a down-payment (and other associated costs) on a $280k house, plus pay for the birth of a child (and other associated costs) in a handful of months
I went form a .25 to 2.5 karat upgrade after 10 years of marriage. It it really not that big a deal. If you are marrying the right person they wont care about the size, but that you asked them to marry you. Also if you want to be the best husband ever drop a huger rock on her after 5 to 10 years of marriage. She will likely be even more touched by the gesture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 06:27 AM

569 posts, read 1,057,937 times
lol I don't know why people are still commenting on a thread that's so old and obviously time sensitive, but I ended up going with a smaller (1/2 carat ish), high-quality diamond with a lot of fire in a cathedral setting that makes it look a lot bigger. It's in a white gold ring that is adorned with alternating small blue sapphires and white diamonds. She ended up liking it and gets lots of positive comments, even from random clients, so everything ended up well despite costing under $3k.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:24 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Sure. I don't see why not. If it's within your budget. I upgraded a couple times during my first marriage, and have upgraded my set in my current marriage, and may upgrade again.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:14 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
lol I don't know why people are still commenting on a thread that's so old and obviously time sensitive, but I ended up going with a smaller (1/2 carat ish), high-quality diamond with a lot of fire in a cathedral setting that makes it look a lot bigger. It's in a white gold ring that is adorned with alternating small blue sapphires and white diamonds. She ended up liking it and gets lots of positive comments, even from random clients, so everything ended up well despite costing under $3k.

Probably because ppl love giving their opinion on how much money other ppl should or shouldn’t spend. It’s good common sense you went with a ring you can afford tho…especially since you had a baby on the way at the time & no house yet.

The trend to bigger & more expensive diamonds now is probably related to ppl marrying later than they used to & being more established in their careers AND 1 or both already owning a home by the time they get engaged. That can make a super big difference in how much money is spent on the engagement ring, wedding, honeymoon or any big purchases as a couple.

Old 07-14-2022, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 6,272 times
I think it depends on the situation. If you are in a hurry to get married and do not have enough money, then it is acceptable.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:37 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Have the kid in Canada, no cost.
Lots of young people make a mistake of buying a house right away like you plan to do. There's no rush. Enjoy your honeymoon phase until the baby comes. Buy the house after you know you can achieve it.

A gemstone like her birthstone is nice with a beveled gold band.

Old 07-16-2022, 04:26 AM

762 posts, read 451,591 times
This is from like 8 years ago; shotgun wedding; probably divorced by now.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:18 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
This is from like 8 years ago; shotgun wedding; probably divorced by now.
Post #92

Old 09-13-2022, 05:45 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Bought my then wife a $20 ring, told her I would upgrade to a $3,000 if we make it to 5 years.

We didn't even make it to 5 years, so I clearly saved a lot of money.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:54 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
When my wife and I "got engaged" she had no money and no debt. I had no money and debt. We felt it would not be a good decision to go into debt for a "ring". We did have custom wedding rings made. So years later AI bought her an expensive, lovely "cocktail ring". It meant more to her then any engagement ring would have. The marriage lasted over 35 years before she passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings