Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 10:34 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
The guest list was easy, don't get me started on the seating chart.
HOW ABOUT IT!!!!

I just spent hours upon hours working on it.... and then my in laws ABSOLUTELY HAD TO at the last minute invite their across the street neighbors. I say fine, as we had more declines from my side of the family than I expected. I put two of them in a table with people I felt would fit (from the same town, etc).... and then find out they're bringing their THREE adult daughters despite being told on the invitation that TWO seats were reserved! not five.

Ten days to go.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 05:11 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
HOW ABOUT IT!!!!

I just spent hours upon hours working on it.... and then my in laws ABSOLUTELY HAD TO at the last minute invite their across the street neighbors. I say fine, as we had more declines from my side of the family than I expected. I put two of them in a table with people I felt would fit (from the same town, etc).... and then find out they're bringing their THREE adult daughters despite being told on the invitation that TWO seats were reserved! not five.

Ten days to go.....
I know people who had an amazing wedding. It was 100% BYOB and Specified food. Bride and groom rented a tent and tables. Other friends acted as waiters. The groom is a musician and had friends on many bands. Three bands played in the wedding for free. It was a great party! And they had a seating chart.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:56 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I know people who had an amazing wedding. It was 100% BYOB and Specified food. Bride and groom rented a tent and tables. Other friends acted as waiters. The groom is a musician and had friends on many bands. Three bands played in the wedding for free. It was a great party! And they had a seating chart.
Cool?

Old 06-10-2015, 05:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
You are correct! But, in the eyes of my sister this maneuver seems normal.

My sister is very well off and would be offended if i sent her money.

Should they disinvite my sister?
I think it is tacky to exclude your sister's daughter...she is your son's first cousin....It may not be proper etiquette, but it isn't a formal wedding either. Just shows your son is marrying a controlling person, since the bride doesn't like the cousin, so she isn't invited.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think it is tacky to exclude your sister's daughter...she is your son's first cousin....It may not be proper etiquette, but it isn't a formal wedding either. Just shows your son is marrying a controlling person, since the bride doesn't like the cousin, so she isn't invited.
I agree that it may be tacky, but the OP never said how many first cousins were involved.

Although, my situation (as I mentioned earlier if the thread) was certainly not typical but if I had invited all of my first cousins, plus their spouses and their children it would have literally doubled the size of my wedding from 80 people to over 160 people (if they had all showed up). Instead we just invited the cousins who were children or teen living at home with their parents.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:12 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree that it may be tacky, but the OP never said how many first cousins were involved.

Although, my situation (as I mentioned earlier if the thread) was certainly not typical but if I had invited all of my first cousins, plus their spouses and their children it would have literally doubled the size of my wedding from 80 people to over 160 people (if they had all showed up). Instead we just invited the cousins who were children or teen living at home with their parents.
Same here. We wanted a small, intimate wedding and just first cousins, their spouses and kids (because they all live long distance so it wasn't a situation of getting a sitter for an evening) would have added another 55 people. We took the all or nothing approach since it seemed less "offensive" to exclude all instead of picking and choosing.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:33 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
in the eyes of my sister this maneuver seems normal.

My sister is very well off and would be offended if i sent her money.

Should they disinvite my sister?
If she is so well-off, why doesn't she go see her daughter on her own time?

Do not make this wedding all about your sister. Her not seeing her own daughter is her problem, not yours, not the bride's, not your son's.

I would back off, if I were you.

Last edited by RedZin; 06-10-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 12:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Your post was wonderful. There was no need for the stinger at the end.

What stinger? It is a valid question since you mentioned how well off your sister is.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What stinger? It is a valid question since you mentioned how well off your sister is.
Yeah, I said my sister was well off, but that is no reason to justify unsavory comments. IN any event, not problems on my side, this is the internet. And here people say what they would never say in person.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Not fair to say that about any bride that is caught up in the planning of a wedding. From what I here it is not always easy. I now realize it is their wedding and they can do anything they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings