Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 09:26 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
It does seem pretty odd to have a wedding in Charleston, where no one lives, when many people, on both sides of the family, live in a city just 200 miles away. Maybe the bride really wanted a destination wedding, to a far away place, but settled on Charleston as a compromise or maybe she assumed (probably wrongly) that many guests could just drive there the day of the wedding and drive home and not need a hotel room. Frankly, it wouldn't be something that I would have done.

Charleston, if you haven't been there, is an extremely popular wedding destination.
Having lived there, I know how much fun it can be...you COULD look forward to enjoying the atmosphere.

.....surely you can allow her choice for HER wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 02:24 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Charleston, if you haven't been there, is an extremely popular wedding destination.
Having lived there, I know how much fun it can be...you COULD look forward to enjoying the atmosphere.

.....surely you can allow her choice for HER wedding.
Oh, I am looking forward to enjoying it.. more worried about the younger relatives who will be driving in from 2 hours away (driving home after the reception at night?) and have small children and limited budgets. This probably applies to many of their friends as well.

I like Europe, too, but that doesn't mean I'd be happy if she decided to get married at Versailles.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:45 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
IMO, wanting a specific venue for their wedding does not seem very bridezilla-ish to me. If guests want to come, they will make it work - either by sharing a room with others, splitting an AirBnB with other families, getting a hotel outside of Charleston (significantly cheaper), or not staying at the reception super late and driving home that night.

And with it being only two hours away, those guests traveling from Charlotte would need to stay just one night.

Out of curiousity, I picked a random Friday/Saturday night in March on AirBnB. There was one that was $250 total for both nights, and could accommodate 10 guests. Two/three families could split that to keep their costs low.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Out of curiosity, I picked a random Friday/Saturday night in March on AirBnB. There was one that was $250 total for both nights, and could accommodate 10 guests. Two/three families could split that to keep their costs low.
Thanks- I do plan to suggest that after my SIL confirms whatever rates they manage to negotiate at the hotel. Maybe I should suggest it now to my sister and BIL, who have 3 adult daughters, all married, with 5 kids in total. That's 13 people but they might be able to find something large enough that's cost-effective. And, knowing BIL, he might want to pick up the entire tab. I'm mostly concerned about people trying to drive home after an evening reception. Even if they have Designated Drivers, the same can't be said for everyone else on the road on a Saturday night.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:41 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Thanks- I do plan to suggest that after my SIL confirms whatever rates they manage to negotiate at the hotel. Maybe I should suggest it now to my sister and BIL, who have 3 adult daughters, all married, with 5 kids in total. That's 13 people but they might be able to find something large enough that's cost-effective. And, knowing BIL, he might want to pick up the entire tab. I'm mostly concerned about people trying to drive home after an evening reception. Even if they have Designated Drivers, the same can't be said for everyone else on the road on a Saturday night.
As an example, here's a place that accommodate a group that large. Less than $300 per family for two nights. The benefit here is that they wouldn't have to eat all their meals out. With a full kitchen, they could prepare and eat some of their meals here saving some money.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2075835...n=1&s=uwoc9AOU

The downside is that many of AirBnbs require a 2 night minimum. So if they're not in the wedding party or attending the rehearsal dinner, they would probably be better off to stay at a hotel outside city limits.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:45 AM

My sister and BIL, at least, will be at the rehearsal dinner.

I'm sold on Airbnb; used them on my two most recent trips to Europe and saved a bundle on lodging, in addition to being able to get up, make coffee and relax in my own space. Have already sent my sister and BIL a note on this.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:02 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
IMO, wanting a specific venue for their wedding does not seem very bridezilla-ish to me. If guests want to come, they will make it work - either by sharing a room with others, splitting an AirBnB with other families, getting a hotel outside of Charleston (significantly cheaper), or not staying at the reception super late and driving home that night.

And with it being only two hours away, those guests traveling from Charlotte would need to stay just one night.

Out of curiousity, I picked a random Friday/Saturday night in March on AirBnB. There was one that was $250 total for both nights, and could accommodate 10 guests. Two/three families could split that to keep their costs low.
Agreed. I don’t see why it is brizezilla-ish to want to have a wedding in Charleston. I have a cousin getting married on a resort island this winter. Her parents are there or nearby (within an hour) part of the year, but no other family (and presumably the groom’s family) live on the resort island and it is high season. However, they live in the Midwest and the weather is cold and yucky in the Midwest that time of year. You can find places to stay 30-45 minutes off the resort island that will likely not be as expensive as on the resort island or get a big group to do a VRBO or Airbnb on the island. I don’t begrudge her for wanting not to get married in the Midwest in the middle of the winter when she can have a nice wedding on a resort island (this is in the continental US, btw) instead.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:45 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,192,224 times
My cousins son had a destination wedding in Hawaii. The Bride's family is wealthy, my cousin is on disability Medicaid, has been for years for good reasons. She was invited of course but no one offered to cover her expenses. She did not go of course. Marriage only lasted a few years.
Destination weddings sound fun but if a hardship for family members who really should be there I think they are exclusionary.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My cousins son had a destination wedding in Hawaii. The Bride's family is wealthy, my cousin is on disability Medicaid, has been for years for good reasons. She was invited of course but no one offered to cover her expenses. She did not go of course.
Wow- that would be harsh. The really remote, expensive destinations seem intended to narrow down the guest list, but not offering to pay for the groom's mother (knowing she can't fund it herself) is hurtful. I did have one friend whose daughter was married in Hawaii and he had so many frequent flyer points from his business travels that he was able to get the family and the wedding party there and back using miles.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
As an example, here's a place that accommodate a group that large. Less than $300 per family for two nights. The benefit here is that they wouldn't have to eat all their meals out. With a full kitchen, they could prepare and eat some of their meals here saving some money.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2075835...n=1&s=uwoc9AOU

The downside is that many of AirBnbs require a 2 night minimum. So if they're not in the wedding party or attending the rehearsal dinner, they would probably be better off to stay at a hotel outside city limits.
No one wants to cook in these situations.

That place only has 2 bathrooms. How will that work out with a group all getting dressed for a wedding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings