Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 22,209 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if the Royal Poinciana in Boca is a good safe community to raise kids in? Which areas in Boca should we avoid? Is east Boca safe? Could you please be specific and name places to avoid. We are planning to move to Florida and I am doing research on Boca and Palm Beach Gardens. Is Boca better than Palm Beach Gardens?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 04:49 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yug3sh View Post
Does anyone know if the Royal Poinciana in Boca is a good safe community to raise kids in? Which areas in Boca should we avoid? Is east Boca safe? Could you please be specific and name places to avoid. We are planning to move to Florida and I am doing research on Boca and Palm Beach Gardens. Is Boca better than Palm Beach Gardens?

Thanks.
Cant tell you the specifics about the community but virtually ALL of Boca Raton is safe. It is a very pleasant and family friendly community, but a little snobby. Palm Beach Gardens is nice, but the schools are not as good. In general, look for schools that are within the Spanish River and West Boca Raton high school districts. Schools within Olympic Heights and Boca Raton high are considered less desirable, but they are still decent. I would zero in on Boca Raton for a family without question! If you have the money, check out Parkland too. It's even nicer and more peaceful, with schools of comparable quality, but it is in Broward County. Hope I helped, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-05-2007 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: add :)

Old 07-05-2007, 07:47 PM

25 posts, read 111,186 times
I lived in East Boca for 11 years and always felt safe. Great older neighborhood with an AWESOME school district, supposedly one of the best in Palm Beach County. This would be Addison Mizner Elementary, Boca Middle and Boca High. The community where I lived is called Boca Square, lots of families with kids, homes are older, built in the late 60s early 70s I believe. There is also Palm Beach Farms and Royal Oak Hills communities.

Within a couple of miles to the beach and pretty much everything within reach as far as shopping goes.

I also know of a great pediatrician in the Boca area if that is where you decide to go.

Don't know much about Palm Beach Gardens. I would research the schools first.

Hope this helps some.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 AM

376 posts, read 1,866,463 times
Boca is a great place to live. Very safe and beautiful. The other poster mentioned Parkland. Parkland is west and bit south of West Boca. That is a very nice place...lots of pine trees and quiet.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 15,409 times
Default Boca

I have lived in East Boca for 20 years now and I have to disagree with "Fort Lauderdale" as not all of Boca is safe as he/she responded. There is a lot of new construction in East Boca - especially condos and townhouses in the 2nd Avenue & Federal Highway areas that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Don't be swayed by the "new construction" as it may be attractive, but it is often shoddy and won't hold up to the "challenges" of...let's say...hurricane season. Also, there are parts of East Boca that are state subsidized that you want to avoid too (anything within several blocks of Dixie Highway - I know I'm going to anger people with that, but it is true-there are bad parts of any city or town-even BOCA!). Yes, compared to a good majority of S. Florida, Boca is safe, but I really think where you decide to settle depends on how old your kids are. West Boca and Spanish River are not necessarily more desireable than Olympic Heights or Boca High - it really depends on how you've raised your kids if they are at that age. Absolutely try for Boca Square, Camino Gardens, Palm Beach Farms, etc...if your kids are in elementary - Addison Mizner is one of the best schools in the county and definately in Boca...my son will be starting 4th grade at Addison Mizner in the fall and I couldn't be happier (took him out of private pre-school to start Kindergarten there). Most people know the reputation that Addison Mizner has and the neighborhoods in the district have had incredible boosts in property value because of it. A house that you could buy for $125,000 ten years ago is going for $500,000+ now, just because most "young family" types want to be in the district. Yes, the houses are older, but the majority have been updated or renovated, and you can still find a diamond in the rough for a good deal if you're willing to work on it. If you can afford it, that is where you should look...forget Parkland and Coral Springs...though they have nice areas I have heard a lot of horror stories about gangs, drugs and all that stuff you don't want your kids around. I have several friends who are teachers and one that is a principal in a middle school in Coral Springs/Parkland and they tell me to stay put. Yes, those things are everywhere, but it seems to me that the area of Boca that we've discussed still has a lot of the family values and sense of community that is so hard to find in South Florida. If you're coming to the area you should absolutely consider Boca - it can be a great place to live! Good luck if you decide to come down!

Last edited by 20yrsinboca; 07-13-2007 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinboca View Post
Not ALL of Boca is safe as Fort Lauderdale responded. !
They key word was virtually. There are not many bad blocks in Boca Raton. Addison Mizner does have an amazing reputation. But also this is an old and bumped thread.

As far as gangs and horror stores, that is absurd. Parkland statistically has about half of the crime of Boca Raton (Already has a low rate as is) and Coral Springs is the 10th safest city in the U.S (I believe Boca Raton is in the 40s or 50s on the list). I have known people in Coral Springs who leave their doors unlocked. The real gang problems are NORTH of Boca Raton in the rest of Palm Beach County (east Delray,east Boynton, Lake Worth, West Palm).

This is an old thread, but I do hope they picked Boca Raton. The schools are a little better then Parkland and a lot better than Palm Beach Gardens.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 15,409 times
The real gang problems are NORTH of Boca Raton in the rest of Palm Beach County (east Delray,east Boynton, Lake Worth, West Palm).

Yeah, I agree with that...I guess I have just heard of a lot of bad stuff happening in CS & Parkland too... Let's face it - nothing is as safe as it once was...

Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinboca View Post
The real gang problems are NORTH of Boca Raton in the rest of Palm Beach County (east Delray,east Boynton, Lake Worth, West Palm).

Yeah, I agree with that...I guess I have just heard of a lot of bad stuff happening in CS & Parkland too... Let's face it - nothing is as safe as it once was...
Absolutely true. A lot of sick crimes occur in little towns in the middle of nowhere now that didn't happen times back! I was actually reading a report about the MS-13 in rural Wisconsin, this stuff is becoming unavoidable. Regardless, I wish the best of luck for the OP and for you.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yug3sh View Post

Thanks.
I am a very happy resident of Royal Poinciana. I have lived here for a couple of months and I LOVE it! The community is very kid friendly which is great because I have 2 myself. The homes were not built shoddy in fact they are built extremely well and luxurious. There pricing is very reasonable for the ideal location. The community also provides a safe enviroment.

Before making a final decision I would take the time to visit this wonderful community.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,623 times
hi,

i just purchased a property on via floresta in royal poinciana. i see by the posts that it is an ok neighborhood. should i worry about gang violence or any type of high crime. i have 2 small children. please let me know the thoughts/opionions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach