Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 AM

368 posts, read 928,970 times

Advertisements

My husband and I work remotely from home and log into servers up north, and rely heavily on the speed and quality of our high speed internet connection. We have Comcast and it seems as if there's an outage every week and it looks bad to our employers if we constantly say that we can't check our email/do our work because our internet connection is down. My husband had so much work to do, he had to go to Panera for their free wi-fi and even then he couldn't get a connection.

Our cable TV service is pretty good since we used PVR but is there a better high speed internet/cable carrier out there? DSL speeds are too slow for us and not reliable (my mother-in-law in Deerfield Beach has satellite and a very slow DSL connection).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
I had similar isses a few years ago, I would lose connections for no reason. I called Comcast and they 'pinged' my modem and detected weak signals. They came out and replaced the cable modem and replaced one of the cable lines. I haven't had any problems since. You will need to give them a call.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:44 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I am in Miami, using BellSouth and like it (its faster than the T1 at the office since many people use the line). I would think Delray would have BellSouth. My neighbors use a satellite internet service, that is great after hurricanes, as there was no waiting like many of the other providers they were up and riunning when they turned on their generator.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:04 AM

713 posts, read 2,670,012 times
I have Bellsouth as well and 99.99% of the time my computer works just fine (had Bell as my one and only internet provider. Never had reason to change) however, be aware that AT&T just took BellS. over but I'm thinking the company will be better in this merger of two giants.

A note of caution...don't take up on offers that phone company telemarketers call and offer over the phone for in my experience they always screw things up. Always deal directly w/the phone company you trade w/for the latter is w/the company and pretty much know what's going on. The telemarketers screw things up (which usually costs you more) that the phone company later has to fix.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:10 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
My husband and I work remotely from home and log into servers up north, and rely heavily on the speed and quality of our high speed internet connection. We have Comcast and it seems as if there's an outage every week and it looks bad to our employers if we constantly say that we can't check our email/do our work because our internet connection is down. My husband had so much work to do, he had to go to Panera for their free wi-fi and even then he couldn't get a connection.

Our cable TV service is pretty good since we used PVR but is there a better high speed internet/cable carrier out there? DSL speeds are too slow for us and not reliable (my mother-in-law in Deerfield Beach has satellite and a very slow DSL connection).
For Cable HSI yes, for T1 lines no. You can find other solutions for a T1 line albeit more then 42.95 base a month. All others including DSL and Sat I wouldn't bother with.

Maybe bump up your Comcast account to a faster service, more $.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:41 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
We have comcast on the west coast and it's the best. Two of us and we do a LOT on the net in terms of development , research etc.

But there's only 2 of us. If you have employees why don't you have comcast business or a t-1 ?

Old 10-14-2007, 10:00 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times
We have bellsouth as our internet provider. Excess speed is not an issue for us so we
do just fine. It's a DSL and we like it...They do have faster DSL. We had Adelphia come
out (before they became comast) and try the modem through the cable...I had them come back and take it out after a week...we found it slower than the DSL with Bellsouth.
But I would definitely check with Comcast and see if they can offer you a faster speed
otherwise check out Bellsouth...(which is becoming AT & T shortly and your e-mail address will be changed over from bellsouth. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach