Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:20 PM

10 posts, read 31,231 times

Advertisements

That's great to know, thanks. Maybe we'll run into each other. I am about 75 percent Boca bound and knowing people are very happy where I want to be is great to hear! I'll be taking a trip over there sometime soon to see my new niece in Miami and my wife and son are going in July after me. Interested to hear what my wife says after being in the devils den.

Last edited by Completely Torn; 03-18-2009 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 08:07 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Completely, I currently live in NY and lived some time in LI. I liked LI very much, but am completely tired of the cold, also, the commute to the city is not an easy one. I won't tell you one is better than the other. There are LI lovers that will tell you only good things about LI and the Boca lovers who will tell you only good things about BOCA. You really need to visit both places so you can make that decision. I personally think that the Quality of life in Boca would be better, but again that is personal preference. I too am looking for quality of life for my kids and have chosen Florida as that place, I'll check back in with you later to let you know if that was a good decision in a year or so.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 PM

10 posts, read 31,231 times
Thanks for sharing Chelsea, I think we might be on the same wave length. I loved growing up in Port Washington and love a lot of things NY has to offer, but commuting to Brooklyn everyday and having less time with my family is what I think will be the case in NY. It's a big nut to come up with month after month. Came out for a visit, fell in love again and was ready to move back, although I came in July when I wouldn't freeze my butt off! I'm a lot more laid back now that I've been out of NY for 13 years though and Florida might fit my less aggressive attitude. I agree with you about visiting and I'm sure after my trip and my wife's trip, we'll have a better grasp as to what we want to do. I still think that either situation is better than living in Los Angeles. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM

Oh you are welcome, by the way, I'm Chelsa - LOL - any who - LA is often described as a much more laid back version of NY and obviously you have lived here so you know what the differences are. People on this forum will tell you though that the people in SFL have become quite agressive. I didn't feel that way, but I was only there for 3 weeks and have nothing to compare it to but NY, where there is a certain tension in the air even when nothing is happening. You know the "I have to be prepared if someone F's with me" looming in the air LOL. I don't want to paint a picture that you have to kick a$$ every day in NYC, because that is false as well, but there is certainly an edge that we have to us most of the time. Just a part of the climate we live in. That being said, my motto is expect the worse about a place and you will never be dissapointed. That is the realist in me. Good luck to you and your family on your move.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:08 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,723 times
LI is nice but the commute, congestion, taxes, and cold will wear you down. Coming from LA, I'd say Florida is a good option. Boca is very nice, a little snooty at times but I've always liked it there. The only problem is landing a good job. I lived in Brooklyn for 5 years and have been in Long Island for 4 months. I could never call this place my forever home. I'm trying to find my way back to Florida but the job market is torture.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 AM

Hey M5 - wuz up? My stepmom is there today on a few more interviews, things are looking very good for her. I hope by July things will be a bit better for me.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:01 PM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,723 times
Best of luck to her! She can pull some strings for us and we can split a moving truck and get outta here LOL!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM

girl you aint kidding.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:04 PM

6 posts, read 44,272 times
Not trying to be the negative post of this thread, but am I living in a different Florida or what? The economy sucks, ESPECIALLY out here. We can thank Florida and California for this Housing Foreclosure mess. You got people thinking "oh great I can by a four bedroom house with a yard and pool in Sunny Florida for $200,000-$350,000", but with what steady will you support that new home with? There's literally no jobs out here, NONE! I work in a trucking industry supplying material for home remodeling, farming, beaches, plumbing, landscaping, septic system installations, equestrian facilities (including: riding arenas, stalls, stables, race tracks, round pens, etc.), cast stone / paver and brick manufacturers, stucco and drywall contractors, pool contractors, environmental companies (contaminated soil removal services / hazmat companies), water treatment plants, marine and seawall contractors, driveway and road contractors, nurseries and garden centers, golf courses, sports fields, sandblasting companies, storage facilities, animal rescues, parks, state owned facilities, you name it... they are all hurting from this economy. Everyone from lower class to upper class are cutting their spending, which mean will be negative to any business. One of my relatives just got laid off and he was in the energy industry, working as a Oil Terminal Manager. Another relative does Medical Billing and loses long term clients to someone that is 1% lower in their rates than she is. People are getting so desperate for work it's like a constant, daily battle on who will be cheaper to get the job (the awarded bidder will most likely have bid the job too cheap and end up losing instead of profitting or just get stiffed because their customer doesn't have the funds). If you go to Wellington, known as horse paradise (internationally), you'll see a "for rent" sign infront of every other barn or stable. Animal rescues are barely surviving. Churches are barely surviving. The Fishing market is doing bad.. they had the news earlier in the month that Hurricane Ike (I think) killed a large amount of our Lobster and because people are getting back in their spending that includes seafood, so they are only charging a 1/5 for shrimp from what they would've charged a year ago. I think people just call and vent more to me than order anything. I had one customer tell me how he works in the computer and technology industry and how you got people (like Bill Gates) bringing people from India to do his same job for nothing. Schools are shutting down. Clothing Stores (like Macy's in certain areas) are shutting down. Car dealerships are suffering (obviously). Equipment Companies are suffering (another obvious one). Septic Companies are doing poor. Construction has been dead. Crime is very high, I guess being a cop would be great out here. I don't even know what other industry that is doing well, if someone list some I would appreciate it because I'm searching. This economy got me M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E and stressed out.

I don't know why you would want to leave New York to come to Florida. Florida just got listed in the Top Ten Most Dangerous States. You will always have a better opportunity in New York City. I am from Brooklyn New York (Park Slope neighbors of beautiful Carroll Gardens) and we've been in Palm Beach Gardens / Jupiter for 3-4 years now. I hate it. At first we liked it because the atmosphere seemed friendly, great weather, colorful and nice clean air (well at least much cleaner than NY). I miss the smell of pollution and garbage. I miss the sound of coins rattling in a coffee cup by the bum down the street corner who's wrapped in newpapers freshly drenched in urine, sitting on a milk crate. I miss the trains, especially the F train. I miss the pizza. I miss the noise. I miss the change of seasons. I miss the diversity. I miss the quick new york pace. I miss New York.

Sorry if I scared you, but you wanted honest opinions and experiences... here's one.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 PM

"I don't know why you would want to leave New York to come to Florida. Florida just got listed in the Top Ten Most Dangerous States. You will always have a better opportunity in New York City. I am from Brooklyn New York (Park Slope neighbors of beautiful Carroll Gardens) and we've been in Palm Beach Gardens / Jupiter for 3-4 years now. I hate it. At first we liked it because the atmosphere seemed friendly, great weather, colorful and nice clean air (well at least much cleaner than NY). I miss the smell of pollution and garbage. I miss the sound of coins rattling in a coffee cup by the bum down the street corner who's wrapped in newpapers freshly drenched in urine, sitting on a milk crate. I miss the trains, especially the F train. I miss the pizza. I miss the noise. I miss the change of seasons. I miss the diversity. I miss the quick new york pace. I miss New York."

Really - you must really miss NY to mention these things. I would miss a lot about NY if I left, but none of what you mentioned other than PIZZA would be on my list. I hope you can get back home soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach