Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times

Advertisements

Is it a nice area? Am in Northern Fl. and am thinking about a move to down there. Any pics of some homes there and/or the area? Is it close to restaurants, etc.?
Thanx in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
google Flamingo Park and Grandview Heights photos.

I think there's some here too. Walkiing distance to downtown yes. I wouldn't do it alone as a female at night though. You have to cut through a tricky dark area.

My son lived there two years no problems. It's nice imo. stores, publix, restaurants of all prices, a couple hang out bars with sports etc. Not a HUGE downtown like you might be thinking and there is alot of construction. theater, indy films, art stuff....it's nice. I'd live there. But i love the beach too. it's only a short ride.

when you say historic you have to watch what they mean. old historic used to be unsafe and run down but the history of the area is interesting. The homes are unique fun, florida, cute. Rents for various prices depending on size. 2br about 1200 for fenced yard but your utilities will be high if it's not updated to be energy efficient.

the new condos downtown would be my choice. 5 minutes away but if you have a dog or something go to grandview heights with the single homes near the dog park. BUT YOU CANT MEANDER ALL OVER AT MIDNIGHT AND FEEL PERFECTLY SAFE. Some random things happen because it's downtown and a bad public housing section is close by. There's a "little" spillover but like I said nothing happened in two years with my son and gf.

One guy got punched in the face and his bike stolen last year in town I think.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
I live in the historic section. Like it a lot. It's like a "real" neighborhood... no HOA, friendly neighbors, pet friendly. I can walk to restaurants on Dixie Highway, Belvedere Road, or in Cityplace.

Do a "Street View" on Google for 700 Claremore Drive and look around. That's what I would consider the middle of Flamingo Park.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Thanx, I just did the google search and it looks nice between Parker and Florida Ave. Then it looks a little shady until you crossover S.Dixie Hwy. onto Cordova and then it looks like it gets really nice. Then it looks like you cross over a waterway then to the beach. (Flagler)
How much is the price of an average home in that area, say a 3/2 maybe 1800 sf. with a nice size yard?
Thanx again in advance.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 PM

The good part of Flamingo Park is between Parker and the train tracks.

It does have some more run down houses around the train tracks, but I'd say it's about 90% good and gentrified in the neighborhood.

In what area are you talking about? Closer to the water is El Cid, which is big bucks. 3/2s will be 400k + even today. In Flamino Park, it varies by the property and renovation details. You'll spend between 200k and 400k for an average 3/2. For really done up properties, it can be higher (one 2/2 with a den and a pool recently sold in March in the 500 block of Ardmore for 425k).

If you want to do a Realtor.com search, put 33401 in as your zip code, 3/2s single family, and look for the following street names:

Park
Flamingo
Biscayne
Claremore
Ardmore
Upland
Sunset
Avon

Typically, 800 block is good, 700 block is known as the "hill block" and is basically all good, 600 block tends to be about 80/20 - 100% good, depending on the street, and 500 block is generally a "no go" due to proximity to the train tracks and businesses that abust Dixie, but exceptions exist.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I live in the historic section. Like it a lot. It's like a "real" neighborhood... no HOA, friendly neighbors, pet friendly. I can walk to restaurants on Dixie Highway, Belvedere Road, or in Cityplace.

Do a "Street View" on Google for 700 Claremore Drive and look around. That's what I would consider the middle of Flamingo Park.
You know I LOVE it there and my son moved last month so I have no reason to go back. My favorite thing was walking his dog and checking out the great houses.

You may know her she's a brindle great dane, a wimp at the park not knowing exactly how to play...LOL For awhile he had her brother too, a huge white one who was like a mack truck bull.

He was on O street and there are two rentals there right now with yards. His and next door. 1200.00. I think they'd go lower too, though. I like the "other one" it's renovated with a small cottage replacing the garage in the yard (the chain link fence one). His has a nice green privacy fence though. BUt the windows had dry rot and you lost all your air conditioning and there were no "storm windows" so everything goes out the glass. Little surprises when you don't check your rental first. I tried to get him into Flamingo Park when I saw the neighborhood group website it seemed like the people were really nice.

OP there's also a little cottage house apartment for rent around the corner with use of the people's pool for 750. perfect for short term looking around LOL. There are quite a few rental signs on nice homes there.

You can find a realtor that does alot of rentals and drive down to see the different types. My son's guy was his age and knew exactly what to show him especially with a Great Dane lol. You don't want to be in a high rise in town and have to walk her for blocks before embarrasing yourself 4 times a day. But he looked anyway and they were BEAUTIFUL. Completely new with granite, high ceilings in some, etc. 1200.00 at the time.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,832 times
I adore Flamingo Park. I was looking online at houses in the neighborhood today and was planning on sending TriMT7 a message to ask some questions today but they've all been answered.

Maybe we will find a rental there when we come down. We have a 110 lb Bullmastiff so rentals won't be super easy to find.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5* View Post
I adore Flamingo Park. I was looking online at houses in the neighborhood today and was planning on sending TriMT7 a message to ask some questions today but they've all been answered.

Maybe we will find a rental there when we come down. We have a 110 lb Bullmastiff so rentals won't be super easy to find.
The listings tell you about the weight of the dog. 65 lb + I believe is the wording.

You will find one. Several haven't replaced the orignal hardwood flooring so they dont worry as much as if they had new floors. I would want to be in short distance of Howard Park with a mastiff.

Scooping the yard is a serious consideration not kidding. My son's grass was dead all winter and the yard smells if you don't use water to "wash the grass" more or less. Not to mention the yards are pretty small so it's devoted to the dog not barbeques lol. His house didn't have a working spigot that I could find out back so I was going around with 20 mule team borax, diatomacious earth and hooked up the hose to the kitchen sink <eyeroll>

Then I had to keep her out of the yard till it dried.

You also want to contract with yard flea spray professionally every month. The Dane had serious skin infections from flea dermatitis. There's alot of fleas. You need to Frontline more often too, unless you use some type of homeopathic that is effective. She was on every two weeks then went to three. Very worrysome. There's a good dermatologist the next exit down.

They moved up north and her skin went back to normal.

In summer with all the rain it's hard to clean after them and then the dog is soaking wet and goes bounding directly into the KITCHEN.

LOL not to get too graphic or anything....just visualize your routine before signing on the dotted line.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 AM

9 posts, read 49,357 times
Really helpful information on Flamingo Park. I have seen two inexpensive r.e. listings just outside of that area: the 400 block of Upland, and 900 block of Sunset. Is it a bad idea to look in these areas? I presently live in Miami and know that one block sometimes can be a very big deal.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team KH View Post
Really helpful information on Flamingo Park. I have seen two inexpensive r.e. listings just outside of that area: the 400 block of Upland, and 900 block of Sunset. Is it a bad idea to look in these areas? I presently live in Miami and know that one block sometimes can be a very big deal.
You are right. One block can make a difference.

400 block of Upland will be between the Train tracks and Dixie Highway. I would not recommend that block at all (I don't even know if it's technically considered Flamingo Park past the 500 blocks).

The 900 block of Sunset would be across the street from Flamingo Park, in a neighborhood called "Pineapple Park." That neighborhood is hit or miss. Some of it is quite charming, other parts are kinda run down. The 900 block of Sunset is one of the better roads in Pineapple Park, however.

Expand your search into Grandview Heights for more affordable listings as well. I would put most of Grandview ahead of Pineapple Park in terms of desirability. Again, however, you'll need to really get a good look at the area. Google street view is invaluable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach