Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-NYTaxes View Post
The OP asked a valid question, he just did not state it well.

Someone can simply research a specific area's demographics ranging from race, income, education, etc.

I hear people ask questions like this all the time. It's a fact minorities commit the most crimes, live in lower income areas, etc. My statement is not racist, it's realist.

I work in the finance business, and the major lenders will not issue such reports, but Chase Bank for example has a 41% credit default rate with minorities vs. less than 6% among whites. Only 7.4% of Chase's business comes from minorities but results most of their losses.

When I'm looking at real estate, restaurants, etc, I have the same questions. There is a reason people pay large amounts to be members of a country club and it's because that's the price one must pay to keep others out. I don't want to spend $50,000 a year to hangout somewhere, it's just what it costs to avoid the people I want to avoid.
Sorry, you are wrong about this and being from NY, I'm very surprised that you see things this way. There are actually more "white people" on welfare than other group. And while your statement about minorities living in low income areas may hold some weight in NYC, in the rest of the country, I think it runs pretty even - I mean there are lots of trailor parks all over the country. I'm not saying this to make one seem better than the other, because neither are, but you can't make blanket statments like that and expect that someone won't come out with realities.

I think it is perfectly acceptable to not want to live in a neighborhoold surrounded by people who do not look like what you look like. But say that outright. Don't ***** foot around the issue. I have said things just like this on this very forum and have been received very well. When you ask a question in an ignorant way - you will get ignorant answers and that is what OP is getting, I notice that he/she hasn't responded.

Also re crime. I'm kind of back and forth on these issues - I agree that when you watch the news that you see mostly black/brown faces committing the crimes - those are facts - 1 - they are doing this and 2 there is racial profiling, whether we'd like to admit it or not - those too are the facts. Does NOT obsolve them of the wrong doing, but does make it seem like they (minorities) do something more often than other (non-minority) people. I hope that made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
YOU ARE RIGHT, HE DID NOT ASK A PROPER QUESTION, AND I COULD HAVE RESPONDED BY SAYING; ABSOLUTELY THERE ARE ALOT OF DARKIES IN WEST PALM BEACH. What would that have made me? I am sure MANY would have been appalled at such a rasict response! I am not a rasict so I would have NEVER responded in that manner. However because the way the question was phrased, I responded in a manner which I believe was appropriate and got the point across that the OP asking something in a manner that was offensive.

For the most part this site and similiar sites try very hard to give people honest answers to honest questions. When people have asked about safety of a certain area, people respond accordingly, when people ask about crime or specific things they desire - people take time to answer in some cases the take time to research the question in order to give complete and accurate information.
Good honest post. Had to give you reps for this!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinked View Post
F-NYTAXES,

Although I 100% agree with your comment, it is politically incorrect to come on a message board and blatantly ask if there is a large black population in a certain area. If he would have asked what the crime was like in west palm beach, that would have been a better way of asking it.

When ever you watch a black comic they will always comment about "white people" but if a white comic just mentions the phrase "black people" then he is considered a racist. If someone started a post that said "Are there a lot of white people in west palm beach" nobody would have even thought about racism and would have provided informative feedback.

I am not racist at all, I grew up in brooklyn and my name growing up was white boy, because all my friends were spanish or black.

I am not concerned at all what color my neighbor is, if he is a good person then he can be purple for all I care. White people need to stop being so worried about saying "black people", why not? black people refer to us as "white people" we are all people, no black person has ever referred to me as a european american. I hate having to chose my words wisely just because someone might get offended. F--Doublestandards and F--NYTaxes as well...they are the reason why I established myself as a FL resident anyway.

Ha - I love this post - however, I don't think it is politically incorrect to ask if a certain area in particular is largely anything. I think it is perfectly acceptable for anyone to want to live amongst people who look mostly like them. Racism is racism is racism where white on black or black on white! I don't think it is okay for Black comedians to call white people crackers, it is the same thing as someone calling me a **** - it will never be okay. So, I would never disrespect someone by calling them the C work or the N work or the S word - rules we should all live by!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Sorry, you are wrong about this and being from NY, I'm very surprised that you see things this way. There are actually more "white people" on welfare than other group. And while your statement about minorities living in low income areas may hold some weight in NYC, in the rest of the country, I think it runs pretty even - I mean there are lots of trailor parks all over the country. I'm not saying this to make one seem better than the other, because neither are, but you can't make blanket statments like that and expect that someone won't come out with realities.

I think it is perfectly acceptable to not want to live in a neighborhoold surrounded by people who do not look like what you look like. But say that outright. Don't ***** foot around the issue. I have said things just like this on this very forum and have been received very well. When you ask a question in an ignorant way - you will get ignorant answers and that is what OP is getting, I notice that he/she hasn't responded.

Also re crime. I'm kind of back and forth on these issues - I agree that when you watch the news that you see mostly black/brown faces committing the crimes - those are facts - 1 - they are doing this and 2 there is racial profiling, whether we'd like to admit it or not - those too are the facts. Does NOT obsolve them of the wrong doing, but does make it seem like they (minorities) do something more often than other (non-minority) people. I hope that made sense.

That's correct. It is true that they do commit more crime. And yes, there is definitely racial profiling out there.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
[/b]

Ha - I love this post - however, I don't think it is politically incorrect to ask if a certain area in particular is largely anything. I think it is perfectly acceptable for anyone to want to live amongst people who look mostly like them. Racism is racism is racism where white on black or black on white! I don't think it is okay for Black comedians to call white people crackers, it is the same thing as someone calling me a **** - it will never be okay. So, I would never disrespect someone by calling them the C work or the N work or the S word - rules we should all live by!

You can call me a FL cracker, I like it!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
You can call me a FL cracker, I like it!
You are such a knuckle head com - i know your making light but the situation is a little more serious than that and I know you know that. Racisim is wrong on all parts no matter where it is coming from.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 AM

While it's true there are prejudices and racial profiling out there, but look at it from a cop's perspective. Most of the criminals are a certain ethnicity, and they are lied to over and over again by the folks they stop, and they see the same people doing the same stuff.

For example: say a cop makes several drug busts in one day. Say (for example) 3 are black, and one is white or hispanic, or whatever. And say that ratio repeats itself day in and day out. After a while, that's going to take it's toll, and you're going to let race come into play. It's probably natural.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
While it's true there are prejudices and racial profiling out there, but look at it from a cop's perspective. Most of the criminals are a certain ethnicity, and they are lied to over and over again by the folks they stop, and they see the same people doing the same stuff.

For example: say a cop makes several drug busts in one day. Say (for example) 3 are black, and one is white or hispanic, or whatever. And say that ratio repeats itself day in and day out. After a while, that's going to take it's toll, and you're going to let race come into play. It's probably natural.
Perhaps we should look at it like this com - while black and hispanic men are arrested more for crime committed agains people (assaults, robbery, etc) white men do much more damage with their SEC violations. They are criminals too! So, while you will see more black and hispanic men in Regular prisons, there are far more white men in Federal Prisons. Does that make you better or worse no. Just means you get affected in a different way! I don't like how the media and census like's to skew things to make it seem as if one group of people is worse than the other because it isn't true. I would feel just as afraid going into an all white projects as I would an all black projects. My view is that white kids are doing the same things black and hispanic kids are they just get caught a whole lot less. That is where the racial profiling is a problem. Now, I'm not saying don't patrol and randomly check kids/men/women/ whatever, but do it equally to everyone, if that is the world we live in that is the world we live in.

I mean I hear people talking about drugs being rampant in one of the best schools in SE Florida - Douglas - am I to believe it is better than another school because it is predominantly white. That is garbage and you know it!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Yes, it is natural, but in the same token it is natural to think that any white guy that goes to that neighborhood is a crack head as well.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 AM

There are good and bad of every color, but it's a fact that violent crimes are committed (far more) by certain ethnic groups.

Yes, I agree the white collar fraud is dominated by white men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach