Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,127 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're thinking of accepting a job in West Palm Beach and need some help. We're a family w/2 young kids and we'd love to find a neighborhood that's safe, has other families but that also has some acreage available as we're big on gardening. We are open to surrounding areas but would like to keep the commute to about 20 minutes, if possible. Are there any neighborhoods like that in that general area that are affordable? Also, I've read some really old posts and a few people have mentioned something about cancer cluster areas? What is up w/that and where are those areas? Anything else that would be helpful to know about the area? Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 07:24 PM

36 posts, read 87,833 times
I'm not sure what price range you are looking in. As far as the cancer clusters, I know in an area West of West Palm Beach called The Acreage there was a higher than normal percentage of kids getting cancer. I think it had something to do with the water supply and some kind of chemical or something supposedly leaking into it. I don't know much about it, but I know it was on the news a lot here a few years ago. Maybe someone more informed about this issue will chime in. So I guess if you live out there you should buy bottled water to consume.

I know Loxahatchee tends to be more rural in that there are a lot of unpaved roads and little to no street lights.

I live in Wellington which is just South of this area but is much more suburban. However, homes here tend to be pricier and you don't generally get much land unless you spend much more money. It's is very family friendly though and there are lots of activities for kids.

To get a better idea of what you can afford you might want to search for homes for sale in these zip codes: 33470, 33411, 33412, 33414.

You also might want to check out Jupiter, FL as I know people who live there and love it. They says it's a great place to raise kids. I'm not sure of home prices in that area though.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
The Acreage wells were tested and nothing untoward was found. The brain cancer cases could easily be coincidence, and no. ther potential causes were discussed, like use of cell phones, or bottled water with bottles being BPA laden bottles. All the scare did was depress housing prices even more in an already down market.

Many people drink bottled water especially in areas where you have a well and you don't know how to care for your system. I don't. We have a well maintained system, and I additionally use a PUR filter ithe refrigerator.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 AM

18 posts, read 46,852 times
racewalkn, think it through long and hard. The population and traffic here is out of control. Only the surface of the sun is hotter 9 months out of the year. Real Estate prices at their most depressed, finally made private homes priced about right. Now the prices are on the way up again to their normal overpriced levels.

After your initial love affair with the beach wears off, and it won't take long, you'll be on sites like this and find yourself spending hours on google earth day dreaming of other places to live. Sorry for the depressing post, but I've been here off and on for 13 years, lived from Vero down to North Broward, and as the young kids say, "it ain't all that".

Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,709 times
To each their own I guess. I moved here in 1995 and never looked back. Lived in PSL, Palm City, Stuart and now the Acreage. Best place yet. PSL was the worst.

And FYI there are places in the US where its hotter. LOL I95 is a wonderful road, goes both south AND north.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:19 PM

166 posts, read 384,262 times
We moved here in 1987 with 2 young boys coming from 1.5 acres in NH. We looked at Wellington and Parkland. Glad we chose Parkland for proximity to more night life, sports, etc. Forbes rated Parkland schools #1 in the US for bang for the real estate buck. Depending on where you work in WPB it probably will take you about 40 minutes to get there, might be worth the additional commute for the schools.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhitchcock View Post
We moved here in 1987 with 2 young boys coming from 1.5 acres in NH. We looked at Wellington and Parkland. Glad we chose Parkland for proximity to more night life, sports, etc. Forbes rated Parkland schools #1 in the US for bang for the real estate buck. Depending on where you work in WPB it probably will take you about 40 minutes to get there, might be worth the additional commute for the schools.
Wellington is closer to night life than Parkland, I can be in downtown WPB in 15-20 minutes via Southern. Each place has it bonuses, I think being near PBIA is a big bonus for Wellington as the drive to FTL/Hollywood is a not good or close at all for you. If your a frequent traveler that would suck doing the red eyes...

40 minutes is a bit of a stretch...it takes me upwards of 1/2 hour to get to Glades during rush hour via 441, even a longer drive via the turnpike. If you worked in East of 95 in WPB it would be quite a commute.

Among other drawbacks with living in Wellington, Parkland or other western communities is the fact most people work east...I never worked anywhere west of I-95 since I moved here in the 1990's.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM

302 posts, read 499,478 times
Have lived here off and on for a long time, with a 13 year split to Missouri. Wish I never came back and am totally looking forward to getting out of this waste land of greedy idiots in another 4-5 years.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:47 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
Have lived here off and on for a long time, with a 13 year split to Missouri. Wish I never came back and am totally looking forward to getting out of this waste land of greedy idiots in another 4-5 years.
I know a lot of people that have similar thoughts on the area here...mainly the disgusted tone is based on the poor paying jobs and the high COL, even at the professional level...some people are finding it harder to get ahead here.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post

Oh YAWN.

I'm looking forward to everyone who is unhappy and finding it "harder to get by" to actually leave and make room for those who are happy, or who actually want to be here.

Sounds like your personal circumstances were that you came out of necessity, and not because you actually want to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach