Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 PM

207 posts, read 1,033,834 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone here owns a boat (or has been on one) going from near or around Jupiter inlet to the Bahamas? How long does it take, do you caravan with other boats? Is it dangerous, or not worth it? What do you do once you get there? Looks like it is about 50-60 miles.

I'm thinking about buying a powerboat to go there with the family on weekends. We need some adventure in our lives. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
I heard 90 minutes but I could be wrong. I also heard there's a yacht club that does like a boat train or caravan like you mentioned. Don't quote me on that though, and I don't know which one...
How many years of boating experience and what size boat are you thinking about? If you're not very experienced I definitely wouldn't recommend it unless you have other people to go with. I miss my boat

Old 12-23-2009, 03:00 PM

6 posts, read 462,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
I heard 90 minutes but I could be wrong. I also heard there's a yacht club that does like a boat train or caravan like you mentioned. Don't quote me on that though, and I don't know which one...
How many years of boating experience and what size boat are you thinking about? If you're not very experienced I definitely wouldn't recommend it unless you have other people to go with. I miss my boat
90 minutes, try 4-6, (10) hours, it is a 85 mile blue water trip across the gulf stream of the ATLANTIC OCEAN!!!
The're are many people that have done it in smaller watercraft, even jet ski's, but to be "SAFE" it is recommended to use a 28' or better craft, (the bigger the better unless you like to bob like a cork), designed for blue water with a high freeboard, cabin, flybridge, twin engines with backup power, life raft,epirb, onboard navigation, with a captain that knows how to use it. There are many groups that queue up at palm beach and wait for a good weather window. The Atlantic Ocean can get ugly fast, unless you are an experienced blue water sailer hire a charter, or take a ferry.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:28 PM

279 posts, read 508,210 times
Current behavior impacts that time also, sometimes it could double depending on current speed. If current is fast it could cause 5 foot swells which will slow you down also. Getting there might be one time but coming back is another. I own a 25 foot offshore fishing boat (with 156 gallon tank)and I wouldn't think twice about making sure I have all the safety gear I could get (Capn-bill is on target with his post) especially if you have the family with you. Make sure you get the right hull and not one for Bay cruising. It could get real nasty out there very fast and the adventure could be more than you could handle. Do your research, buy the right stuff and talk to the right people and you should do fine.

I didn't realize jetski's had that kind of range.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM

I don't think most Jet ski's do, either way that falls clearly in the middle of the wild eyed crazy a** stunt catagory. I only heard second hand that a couple of guys had accomplished it, .... once. How they carried enough fuel I have no idea. (5 gal cans in their laps??, towed??). Anyway that is clearly a "don't try this at home" kinda thing. My recommendation for ANYONE who wants to cross the Gulf Stream is have a big boat, all recommended safety gear, and join a boating safety class I.E. Power Squadron, and get some experience with an experienced captain, prepare well and cross with a group. Good Luck.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:44 PM

Oh By the BY: I am a U.S.C.G. licensed Captain (50 ton Masters). I am available to pilot a vessel that meets safe guidelines if some one wants an experienced hand at the helm.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 107,977 times
How silly would it be to consider a 19 ft tahoe S/f

Old 10-28-2010, 11:28 AM

See the comment above about jetski's. The Tahoe is a bay/lake boat. 28ft is the minimum recommended size, and you will want 4ft plus of freeboard. 1 large wave will sink that boat. I can relate a story of my irresponsible youth. I went out with some friends salmon fishing on a river in a similar boat. After fishing the mouth for awhile we got the idea of going out past the sandbar maybe 1/4 mile and fishing the entrance. Still in sight of land and 5mins from the jetties and safety. WHen we saw the weather change, the sky still clear, but the wind definately shifted. We imediately pulled in our lines and started the outboard to come back in. Thats when a huge wave driven by the storm still in the distance came in from the open ocean. I don't know how big the wave was, I never saw it. We had just seconds to turn the boat so the bow pointed at it before it hit. The boat went up on end and nearly pitchpoled. I dropped my sandwich and grabbed the back of the seat I was setting on. between my legs I only saw blue water receading in the distance. My sandwich never touched the boat, but fell straight down over the top of the outboard. followed by a sickening drop and a horrendous crash in which the entire boat was pooped. The boat was full of water up to our knees and the engine had died. Several minutes of frantic bailing, (the little bilge pump was no use), and blowing on the carb we finally got the engine restarted, but it would only run the boat 5 mph, (wet spark pugs in a couple of cylinders, and half a boat full of water will do that). The seas were definately troubled by this time and the simple 5 mins to the jetties was now an ordeal. The waves were breaking over the top of the jetties so bad we could not see them. It took almost an hour fighting winds and seas to close the remaining few hundred yards during which everyone got seasick except me to the point of complete incapacitation. Everytime I turned the boat toward shore the waves broke across the rear of the boat pitching the bow into the rear of the next wave, and flooding it again with more water. Worse the jetties opening which seemed so wide in calm seas now was like threading a shaking needle. The boat yawed 30-40 ft with every wave pushing us past the end of the breakwater. Finally I positioned the boat on the up wind side and put full throttle as the wave hit hoping it would push the boat back to center and into the jetty opening. The boat once again flew into the air only this time there was a loud crunch, the engine once again died, and we were in the jetties at last. Restarting the engine led to heavy vibration as we chugged back to the boat ramp. The bottom was badly scraped, and the prop was missing a blade. I can only assume we went over the top of the breakwater when the last wave hit. In short if you can trailer the boat it's too small.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 109,902 times
19 tahoe are you kidding,,, I hope you were kidding,, Its people like that that make the news

Old 01-01-2011, 09:21 AM

401 posts, read 473,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
See the comment above about jetski's. The Tahoe is a bay/lake boat. 28ft is the minimum recommended size, and you will want 4ft plus of freeboard. 1 large wave will sink that boat. I can relate a story of my irresponsible youth. I went out with some friends salmon fishing on a river in a similar boat. After fishing the mouth for awhile we got the idea of going out past the sandbar maybe 1/4 mile and fishing the entrance. Still in sight of land and 5mins from the jetties and safety. WHen we saw the weather change, the sky still clear, but the wind definately shifted. We imediately pulled in our lines and started the outboard to come back in. Thats when a huge wave driven by the storm still in the distance came in from the open ocean. I don't know how big the wave was, I never saw it. We had just seconds to turn the boat so the bow pointed at it before it hit. The boat went up on end and nearly pitchpoled. I dropped my sandwich and grabbed the back of the seat I was setting on. between my legs I only saw blue water receading in the distance. My sandwich never touched the boat, but fell straight down over the top of the outboard. followed by a sickening drop and a horrendous crash in which the entire boat was pooped. The boat was full of water up to our knees and the engine had died. Several minutes of frantic bailing, (the little bilge pump was no use), and blowing on the carb we finally got the engine restarted, but it would only run the boat 5 mph, (wet spark pugs in a couple of cylinders, and half a boat full of water will do that). The seas were definately troubled by this time and the simple 5 mins to the jetties was now an ordeal. The waves were breaking over the top of the jetties so bad we could not see them. It took almost an hour fighting winds and seas to close the remaining few hundred yards during which everyone got seasick except me to the point of complete incapacitation. Everytime I turned the boat toward shore the waves broke across the rear of the boat pitching the bow into the rear of the next wave, and flooding it again with more water. Worse the jetties opening which seemed so wide in calm seas now was like threading a shaking needle. The boat yawed 30-40 ft with every wave pushing us past the end of the breakwater. Finally I positioned the boat on the up wind side and put full throttle as the wave hit hoping it would push the boat back to center and into the jetty opening. The boat once again flew into the air only this time there was a loud crunch, the engine once again died, and we were in the jetties at last. Restarting the engine led to heavy vibration as we chugged back to the boat ramp. The bottom was badly scraped, and the prop was missing a blade. I can only assume we went over the top of the breakwater when the last wave hit. In short if you can trailer the boat it's too small.
Good example. I have navigated a swamped boat in heavy seas and it is no fun. Glad you made it out alive. Take heed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach