Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:41 AM

4 posts, read 11,375 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to live very nicely and inexpensively in Boca Raton. I doubt it would be my first choice of places to live but I do want a warm climate and it might be a good way for me to move to the state of Florida.

My ideal kind of place would be like Santa Monica, CA. I live close to there now but it's just too expensive for me. Are there any communities close to Boca or in other parts of Florida that are kind of funky, artsy and liberal? I have all different kinds of friends (I don't limit myself to one particular type) but I'd probably be the most comfortable with a Santa Monica type of crowd. I'm middle-aged and not looking for the bar scene. Also, I'd be moving alone so making friends there is especially important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir View Post
Are there any communities close to Boca or in other parts of Florida that are kind of funky, artsy and liberal?
Although there are art and other cultural events in Boca Raton on a regular basis, and the area may be considered politically "liberal", I would not describe it as funky and artsy in the sense that I think you mean.

Perhaps most suitable for you nearby is Fort Lauderdale or a bit further south Hollywood, both in Broward County.

Further afield, from what I've read, St. Petersburg on the Gulf coast, in the Tampa Bay area.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
How about Delray Beach, right above Boca?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks. I've seen St. Petersburg mentioned before as being kind of artsy and funky. Hadn't heard any of the others mentioned though. I'll have to do some more research. I wish I had the opportunity to go down and visit these places first.

I know that Delray Beach is very close to Boca so if I'm living in Boca, it wouldn't be difficult to go there or get involved in things there. What kind of things do they have going on there and how is it different from Boca?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I know that Delray Beach is very close to Boca so if I'm living in Boca, it wouldn't be difficult to go there or get involved in things there. What kind of things do they have going on there and how is it different from Boca?
Delray Beach is nice, but the downtown area is overrated, in my opinion. They do have cultural events from time to time, and even an annual tennis tournament, but nothing to get overly excited about. The best thing about "downtown" is strolling around, one of the quaintest in this part of the country.

Having said that, if you are into things like arts and crafts, you may find people to associate with. There is also a writers club that meets once a month at the library (brand new).

The basic difference between Delray and Boca is that Delray has some bad areas, while most of Boca is fine, probably more retirees in Delray than Boca, while Boca is more upscale. Pricewise, they are about the same, Boca slightly more expensive on average.

If you have children, Boca is better than Delray, if not, you could easily be as happy in one or the other; if you live south of Linton in Delray Beach you are practically already in Boca, you have access to a good beach, and are centrally located to several different shopping venues, including two malls (Boca and Boyton), the big discount stores (Walmart and Costco), and fresh produce (in and around Atlantic Avenue in central Delray), not to mention the mom n' pop shoppes in "downtown" Delray, as well as Mizner Park in Boca. Both towns feature any number of upscale restaurants, especially Boca, while Delray Beach especially has some really cheap joints as well.

Again, having said all that, you should also investigate Fort Lauderdale, if you can afford it, Hollywood, and give St. Petersburg a second look.

By all means, do come and visit, even several times, before deciding to make a move.

In these different contexts, you have to sharply define what you mean by artsy and funky, know your budget within them, then go for it!

All the best!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:28 AM

42 posts, read 169,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Delray Beach is nice, but the downtown area is overrated, in my opinion. They do have cultural events from time to time, and even an annual tennis tournament, but nothing to get overly excited about. The best thing about "downtown" is strolling around, one of the quaintest in this part of the country.

Having said that, if you are into things like arts and crafts, you may find people to associate with. There is also a writers club that meets once a month at the library (brand new).

The basic difference between Delray and Boca is that Delray has some bad areas, while most of Boca is fine, probably more retirees in Delray than Boca, while Boca is more upscale. Pricewise, they are about the same, Boca slightly more expensive on average.

If you have children, Boca is better than Delray, if not, you could easily be as happy in one or the other; if you live south of Linton in Delray Beach you are practically already in Boca, you have access to a good beach, and are centrally located to several different shopping venues, including two malls (Boca and Boyton), the big discount stores (Walmart and Costco), and fresh produce (in and around Atlantic Avenue in central Delray), not to mention the mom n' pop shoppes in "downtown" Delray, as well as Mizner Park in Boca. Both towns feature any number of upscale restaurants, especially Boca, while Delray Beach especially has some really cheap joints as well.

Again, having said all that, you should also investigate Fort Lauderdale, if you can afford it, Hollywood, and give St. Petersburg a second look.

By all means, do come and visit, even several times, before deciding to make a move.

In these different contexts, you have to sharply define what you mean by artsy and funky, know your budget within them, then go for it!

All the best!

I guess everyone has their different opinions. I grew up in Boca Raton pretty much my whole life and while it does have very nice places to eat and places to shop, it's definitely more suburban and an older/retiree rate.
However, there are A LOT of retirees in Delray Beach, however, they tend to live out in west Delray.

I live in east Delray Beach right by the ocean and downtown restaurants and shops and it's an awesome place to live. i tend to feel it's a much younger crowd in this area b/c it's so close to the beach. it's nice living in a place that has a small "beach town" feel but still also has nice restuarants, lounges all on one street (atlantic ave) it's also quite a big hot spot for the 20/30 something crowd. (one great place we like is called Dada's.. a historic home turned into a restaurant with lots of outside seating under a huge tree with hanging lights and lanterns, live music on weekends, wonderful artsy-bohemian vibe, and yummy drinks) we also have a farmer's market set up every weekend where you can buy local produce, flowers, and hand made soaps (things of that nature). they also have a historic "old school square" where they play free movies on a huge screen and you can set up a blanket or chair in the grass and watch.

it's a nice place to live but i really doubt it compares to the hip/funky vibe of santa monica...and as far as liberal, you may find a nice like-minded group of friends, i'd hardly call boca raton or delray beach super liberal.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbianca View Post
... (Delray Beach and Boca Raton are) ... a nice place to live but i really doubt it compares to the hip/funky vibe of santa monica...and as far as liberal, you may find a nice like-minded group of friends, i'd hardly call boca raton or delray beach super liberal.
That's exactly my point, coming from Santa Monica they will probably be a let down, that's why I suggest Ft Lauderdale, maybe Hollywood, and St Petersburg.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Wow, thanks for all of the detail both of you. I know that there would be some let downs in coming from Santa Monica but a cheaper smaller, less crowded area to live would offset those I think.

Delray Beach does sound good to me. I'm not sure about Hollywood - I'd have to do some research on that one but Ft. Lauderdale is too much of a hangout for the college students. I don't think I'd fit there. Also still seriously considering St. Petersburg although I the living opportunity I have in Boca may be too good to pass up. If I did decide to take that opportunity, then at least Delray Beach is close by.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
... opportunity I have in Boca may be too good to pass up. If I did decide to take that opportunity, then at least Delray Beach is close by.
If you live in south Delray Beach (say south of Linton, at least south of Atlantic) or north Boca (say north of Yamato or at least north of Glades), you'll enjoy the best of both without spending too much on gas.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:01 AM

16 posts, read 43,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
If you live in south Delray Beach (say south of Linton, at least south of Atlantic) or north Boca (say north of Yamato or at least north of Glades), you'll enjoy the best of both without spending too much on gas.
Bale002, I'm considering this area as well for buying a holiday condo. Whats the best location between Boca and Delray when it comes to closeness/access to a beach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach