Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 14,502 times

Advertisements

I am a young, professional male in my mid-20s. In the coming months I will need to relocate for work in Boca Raton, Florida. I think that I would like to live in Boca Raton, but would consider Delray Beach and Deerfield Beach, as well.

I'm looking for some advice about the area--where I should live, things to do, hot spots, areas to avoid, etc.

Housing
In terms of housing, ideally, I'd like to live in an apartment complex/community with other young, single professionals. I'm looking to spend up to $1200/mo for a 1-bedroom apartment, but of course I'd prefer to spend less if possible. I'd like suggestions regarding specific complexes and parts of town where a person in my position might want to live.

Social Life
Again, I'm a relatively young guy, but I feel like I have outgrown my days of drinking for the sake of drinking. I'm pretty down-to-earth and am not a huge fan of snobby, stuck-up people (and I understand that Boca Raton has a lot of these). I don't go to bars much and clubs were never really my scene. Not really into sports, either. I am a non-religious Jew--I do not actively observe the religion, but I like the social opportunities the religion provides. I would like thoughts regarding activities that I might get involved with in the community--perhaps ones that might be conducive toward meeting a similarly-situated young woman.

Anything Else
Anything else I should know about the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:03 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
1. Delray Beach has some of the best nightlife in Palm Beach County (besides WPB) along Atlantic Blvd. I wouldn't recommend Deerfield Beach, a bit ghetto for my taste. There are no bad areas of Boca Raton, it's just a bit more expensive and suburban.

2. $1200 a month for a 1 bedroom will get you into almost any apt community. I live in Tuscany Pointe, I'm pretty happy here paying $950 for the largest 1 bedroom model they have. There are some young professionals, but definetly not the majority.

3. There are a lot of Jewish people in Boca.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 PM

569 posts, read 1,668,698 times
Boca is old skool and full of old (and I mean very old) and snobbish Jews. They don't care for young people on their turf. You will be hard pressed to find another young person in Boca beside yourself. Nothing against Jews. I wouldn't recommend Deerfield either. I would say the better parts of Delray or the western part of Boynton Beach which is newer. Both Boynton and Delray have some bad ghetto areas so you have to be careful.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:41 AM

9 posts, read 61,611 times
Hello H.K.,

There is a great deal to offer in both Boca Raton and Deerfield Beach, but perhaps I could recommend West Boca Raton or even West Boynton Beach (newer & nicer)which may suit your personal needs. You will pay more for renting close to or on/near the water/ocean and you will always want to feel comfortable and safe.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 39,797 times
Hi,
I don't know if you already moved here or not, but I just wanted to give my two-cents. I am early 20's female, and grew up in Boca. Honestly, I would just tell you to stay away. There are some affordable places to rent and maybe even buy (since it's a buyer's market down here right now) and not everyone here is wealthy and living in a gated in community. However, I wouldn't recommend South Florida or Boca. It's very snobby with the people either being seniors, obnocious occer moms and their obnoxious husbands, or annoying frat-boy and sorority type young people. It's extremely hard to meet normal, down to earth, non-snobby young people who are smart, worldly, and willing to engage in a conversation that is about anything but themselves. There's a lot of drugs down here too amongst those people. And forget about finding a nice and normal mate (which is hard anywhere these days for this generation). As far as Jewish life and culture goes, you can find anything from religion to secular life and it is very good for that down here. The drivers are terrible down here and there's practically nothing to do. It is so boring! The only redeeming quality about South Florida is the weather, but the summers are brutal!

Anything else you want to know just pm me!

Good luck!!

And sorry to paint such a negative picture, just trying to be honest! A lot of people move down here and think it will be paradise b/c of what they hear or see on t.v., and end up moving away soon after!

Old 10-02-2009, 02:54 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbel View Post
Hi,
I don't know if you already moved here or not, but I just wanted to give my two-cents. I am early 20's female, and grew up in Boca. Honestly, I would just tell you to stay away. There are some affordable places to rent and maybe even buy (since it's a buyer's market down here right now) and not everyone here is wealthy and living in a gated in community. However, I wouldn't recommend South Florida or Boca. It's very snobby with the people either being seniors, obnocious occer moms and their obnoxious husbands, or annoying frat-boy and sorority type young people. It's extremely hard to meet normal, down to earth, non-snobby young people who are smart, worldly, and willing to engage in a conversation that is about anything but themselves. There's a lot of drugs down here too amongst those people. And forget about finding a nice and normal mate (which is hard anywhere these days for this generation). As far as Jewish life and culture goes, you can find anything from religion to secular life and it is very good for that down here. The drivers are terrible down here and there's practically nothing to do. It is so boring! The only redeeming quality about South Florida is the weather, but the summers are brutal!

Anything else you want to know just pm me!

Good luck!!

And sorry to paint such a negative picture, just trying to be honest! A lot of people move down here and think it will be paradise b/c of what they hear or see on t.v., and end up moving away soon after!

Maybe you should move out of Boca there are plenty of areas without snobby people... I've never seen any obnocious occer moms in Boynton or West Palm. Then again I not really sure what one of those is...

Old 10-02-2009, 04:49 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
No Jewish people? Are you kidding? I am in Boca and my grandfather lives across the street in Boca both which are country club communities. The majority in both I would say are Jewish.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 39,797 times
Default Typical.

Skyl--

Did I say anything about still being in Boca? I said I GREW up there. Even if I lived there, I would have the right to an opinion of the city. And, its not so easy to just pick up and move even if you don't like it. You had to insult and pick at a simple spelling mistake - (it's pretty obvious I meant to say obnoxious and not obnocious and soccer and not occer).

Last edited by azbel; 10-05-2009 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 07:52 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Skyl--

Did I say anything about still being in Boca? I said I GREW up there. Even if I lived there, I would have the right to an opinion of the city. And, its not so easy to just pick up and move even if you don't like it. You had to insult and pick at a simple spelling mistake - (it's pretty obvious I meant to say obnoxious and not obnocious and soccer and not occer).
We aren't snobby nor is my husband obnoxious and we live in West Boca, and I have very nice children who arent snobby, their friends arent snobby and our friends are far from snobby oh and IM not a soccer mom my children both swim competitvely which ISNT a snobby sport either......and WE ARE jewish and the point is??????

Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Skyl--

We aren't snobby nor is my husband obnoxious and we live in West Boca, and I have very nice children who arent snobby, their friends arent snobby and our friends are far from snobby......and WE ARE jewish and the point is??????

Now if I was single I dont know if Id choose boca just because its family friendly...not because its a god forsaken terrible place to live....Maybe check into the Ft Lauderdale Area where its a bit younger....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach