Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking for a few years for a small hobby farm where we can have a few horses, cows, chicken and maybe an organic farm. Land seems to be expensive all around but we noticed that 20+ acres with a house can be had in the Spencer WV area for $120K+. Do people farm (grow vegetables and fruits) in this area? Is this horse country? There seems to be a lot of forest around but is it allowed/accessible on horse back?

Naturally we plan on visiting but before we spend the time/money it would be nice to have some info...

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!
OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 06:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Spencer is pretty much in the middle of nothing. Mostly famous for it's asylum.

HISTORY AND HERITAGE TRAVEL IN WEST VIRGINIA | TRANS-ALLEGHENY LUNATIC ASYLUM - HERITAGE TOURS

My mom was born there many years ago and I've only passed through on the random occasion but it's a pretty quiet out of the way place IMO.

I've got to think that there is plenty of places that would be O.K. for what you want. I can't tell you that I've hit a chicken or two on RT 47.

To be fair though, there is a bit more in the area the last 10 years than there was. You are right near RT 79 which will get you to Charleston or Clarksburg in not too long.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

HISTORY AND HERITAGE TRAVEL IN WEST VIRGINIA | TRANS-ALLEGHENY LUNATIC ASYLUM - HERITAGE TOURS

My mom was born there many years ago and I've only passed through on the random occasion but it's a pretty quiet out of the way place IMO.

I've got to think that there is plenty of places that would be O.K. for what you want. I can't tell you that I've hit a chicken or two on RT 47.

To be fair though, there is a bit more in the area the last 10 years than there was. You are right near RT 79 which will get you to Charleston or Clarksburg in not too long.
What about the weather - what can I expect for winter, summer temperature and precipitation-wise? How well are county roads maintained?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Spencer itself isn't "country". The entire area around it is though. The best I can state the weather in WV is "average". We don't get nearly the snow as just a couple hours north and it's not as hot as a few hours south. Rain is pretty average I guess.

I can't say how well the outlying roads are. If it's like most everywhere else, a 4WD is needed for winter driving.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:31 PM

68 posts, read 187,870 times
There are horses in Central West Virginia, and I see them as pets, but in my opinion, it's mule country and you'll find them abundant on the back roads because they're better suited for the terrain, sure-footed, and have a natural sense of self-preservation. In my grandfather's day, they used mules in the mines, so this probably carries over into the small farmer. Not to mention, they require less, they're hardier creatures, and tend to outlive horses.

Of course you can grow stuff.

I like Spencer, but it reminds me of Radiator Springs in the animated film Cars, a crossroads town cut-off from traffic by the interstate systems. Beautiful area, no jobs. 40% of Roane County goes outside of Roane County to work. And as some of the other posters in this forum have warned tire kickers, you might think about your power being off a few weeks in winter before you get too rural in West Virginia.

Spencer Population 1895 : 431
Spencer Population 2000 : 2,352

//www.city-data.com/city/Spence...-Virginia.html
City of Spencer, WV - Home
City Of Spencer, West Virginia | Facebook

Good luck.

Last edited by wv.artistry; 01-09-2011 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Except the Asylum is in Weston, about 70 miles northeast, instead of Spencer.

But they both are on Rte 33 .

Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv.artistry View Post
There are horses in Central West Virginia, and I see them as pets, but in my opinion, it's mule country and you'll find them abundant on the back roads because they're better suited for the terrain, sure-footed, and have a natural sense of self-preservation. In my grandfather's day, they used mules in the mines, so this probably carries over into the small farmer. Not to mention, they require less, they're hardier creatures, and tend to outlive horses.

Of course you can grow stuff.

I like Spencer, but it reminds me of Radiator Springs in the animated film Cars, a crossroads town cut-off from traffic by the interstate systems. Beautiful area, no jobs. 40% of Roane County goes outside of Roane County to work. And as some of the other posters in this forum have warned tire kickers, you might think about your power being off a few weeks in winter before you get too rural in West Virginia.

Spencer Population 1895 : 431
Spencer Population 2000 : 2,352

//www.city-data.com/city/Spence...-Virginia.html
City of Spencer, WV - Home
City Of Spencer, West Virginia | Facebook

Good luck.
Thank you, some real information you provided. I am aware of mules, I have an old QH/draft mix who was used in WY in the rough mountain country so I think I am alright.

If job were not an issue, Spencer area is nice, no?

Thanks!
OD

Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Except the Asylum is in Weston, about 70 miles northeast, instead of Spencer.

But they both are on Rte 33 .
Spencer had one too!

The building is still there, behind Walmart. LOL

Old 01-10-2011, 01:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Spencer had one too!

The building is still there, behind Walmart. LOL
Really? I've never heard of an asylum in Spencer. Was it also called the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum?

(after doing some Googling...) How about that? A sister institution to the one in Weston. Wonder why there was such a need for two state lunatic asylums in the 1800s?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Really? I've never heard of an asylum in Spencer. Was it also called the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum?

(after doing some Googling...) How about that? A sister institution to the one in Weston. Wonder why there was such a need for two state lunatic asylums in the 1800s?
I don't know, but they could sure use a couple now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia