Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM

33 posts, read 103,202 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a job in Frederick, MD and am looking to relocate to the Harpers Ferry/Charles Town/Ranson area. I would like to buy a home and will be a first time homebuyer, so I'm pretty nervous. We are a couple in our mid-20's with a baby boy. We plan on staying in the area for some time and would prefer a home with a decent elementary school, younger neighbors, and a nice neighborhood. Our budget is under $200k so not exactly sure how far that can get us in WV, as it would barely get us anywhere in the Hampton Roads area of VA.

I have read most related threads on here regarding the county and will be visiting this upcoming weekend to check out the town. I've had family live in Charles Town in the early 80's and am sure their perspectives on the area have become outdated in 20 or so years. Any additional help or guidance that could be provided will be greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 05:42 PM

144 posts, read 317,639 times
WV has a really good first time home buyer plan so make sure you look into it! Under 200K you can find a med/small single family home or a really nice townhome.

Ask away and we will try to help.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM

537 posts, read 958,931 times
I myself have only been out here 6 years now, but anyway...

I wouldn't say we're rural out here, but compared to "big city" Frederick we are. Maybe we're like Frederick was 30 years ago?

Anyway, I for one love it out here, don't miss the hustle and bustle of the DC area AT ALL. Sure, there aren't that many great restaurants around, shops, movie theaters, whatever. But it's a much more relaxing lifestyle out here, and that includes the schools, the parks & rec activities, the neighbors, driving, everything.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,304,542 times
Jefferson County is ideal if you are working in Frederick County, MD and more concerned with purchasing a home rather than amenities. You certainly will get more bang for your buck in JeffCo for $200K and also save a lot on taxes. Property taxes (especially in Frederick City) are ridiculous and it is almost curious as to why anyone would even bother to purchase a home in the incorporated area. Unless you have an intense desire to have a short commute while working in Frederick then the cost of real estate and taxes are truly not worth it.

Accordingly, the amenities of Frederick are better than Washington County, MD, Jefferson County, WV, and Adams County, PA which bound it but are nowhere near the level of a Montgomery County. COL (including real estate) just skyrocketed in Frederick during the bubble perhaps in anticipation it would become the next Montgomery County. It didn't. Jefferson County does not have the schools, shopping, or dining Frederick has but if you can overcome the schools (which actually seem to be quite decent) then what you will save by living in JeffCo will more than make up for the 1/2 hour drive you will spend going to the mall, restaurants, movie theaters, or Target (there is a Wal-Mart Supercenter).

Another benefit you have is you are coming from somewhere else besides Maryland so you have a more realistic view of where you should buy on a $200K housing budget rather than trying to bleed you finances to attempt to afford even the smallest townhouse possible in Urbana for $300K. Jefferson County is officially part of the DC metropolitan area and refutes a lot of the stereotypes you likely hear about West Virginia.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 AM

423 posts, read 1,237,808 times
I believe that you'll commute via Rt 340 between Charles Town/Ranson/Harpers Ferry to Frederick. There are several developments located along Rt 340 between Charles Town and Harpers Ferry, so finding a house or townhouse shouldn't be a huge issue. My kids attended South Jefferson elementary, Charles Town middle and both Washington and Jefferson high schools. I've been very satisfied with their school experience here .... my middle son is at Washington high now and it's a very good experience. South Jefferson is on the opposite side of Charles Town from Frederick ..... not that it's a long drive, but ..........

There are probably some state provided ammenities that you'll be giving up moving from VA to WV, but WV doesn't have quite the budget crisis that VA has these days.

Good luck. Ask questions .... lots of good folks here on the forum.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 AM

Thank you all so much for all of your advice! My life is actually coming full circle as I was born in Martinsburg and lived in Charles Town for the first 8 months of my life. My family relocated to Morgantown and I spent 8 years there before returning to WVU as an undergrad. It is another reason why I would like to move back besides escaping the Commonwealth's grasp in Virginia. While I may miss some of the nice restuarants and bars/clubs, I'll be glad to get away from the congestion and crime.

My main questions would be are there any neighborhoods in the area to avoid or are there certain ones that are worth considering? I'd prefer to have friendly, younger neighbors and small children that my son may be able to play with. I've also noticed quite a few affordable ranchers and split foyers in the Ranson area. I keep hearing that Ranson was the bad part of town around 20 years ago and am curious if that is still the case?

*edit* Also, any recommended realtors?

Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 AM

Any help? I will be visiting the area over the weekend...

Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 AM

PDT1211 ..... what was the result of your visit? Did you find specific neighborhoods that you liked?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Thanks for asking! I think we are somewhat set between Crosswinds, Briar Run, Tuscawella (sp?), and the Shannondale area. Not a big fan of the builder homes of the first two subdivisions but the prices and proximity to everything is a plus. I really like Shannondale but its a farther drive and I'm sure is awful in the winter (Don't have a 4x4).

Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 AM

Are you avoiding Huntfield, Cloverdale, Locust Hill and Spruce Hill due to cost? There is also a small development on Augustine Ave right as you enter Charles Town, but I don't recall the name. There are also a couple of developments off of Old Country Club Road, which is on the Frederick side of Charles Town.

I wouldn't say that we have a huge number of really bad snow days in the area. It does seem to take some time for the roads to be cleared though. I can certainly see a difference in quality of snow removal between Jefferson county (WV) and Clarke county (VA) during my daily work commute into NOVA ... and Jefferson isn't the winner there!

I'd avoid Shannondale unless you have 4WD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia